1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G Lowering seat floor

Posted by slowwhite, Mar 6, 2018

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Southbay Fuel Injectors
  1. slowwhite

slowwhite Proven Member

Joined Oct 27, 2013
    camden, South Carolina
    Over and over I keep reading the difficulty people have with fitting into there 2g with a cage due to seat mount design.

And then Ive seen it twice now that my local road race company that specializes in miata's - has lowered the floor so that there taller customers can fit into there cars.

I haven't been under my car in a long time nor is it at my house currently for me to look at it. But is there a reason we can't go this route?

AND if we can anyone have design ideas on how to accomplish this.

I'm 6' 4" and 270lbs. So this is a big concern of mine since a full cage is supposed to get started on my car real soon according to the shop it's at.

Here is panics photo of what they did to the miata

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018

Road Race Build 716  17

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

Road Race Build 6K  25

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    425 whp · 354 lb/ft · 2G DSM
  2. TSiAWD666

TSiAWD666 Freelancer

Joined Aug 15, 2003
    Herndon, Virginia
    If you lower the floor you disrupt the natural tunnel underneath affecting aero. If you don't care about aero, go for it. This is from Andrew, not me. If you have to do it to fit, you have to do it though. try first removing the oem cross braces to which the stock seat mounts, those are fairly high and you can gain room by losing them. Of course you'll need some alternative reinforcement for the seats, and ideally tied into the cage somehow which will take some good planning.

Road Race Build 13K  12  371

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    377 whp · 416 lb/ft · 2G DSM
  3. Scott McIntyre

Scott McIntyre DSM Wiseman

Joined Mar 15, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I'd be nervous about bottoming out during an off-course excursion, potentially pushing your seat mount up and slamming your helmet into the top bars. Or maybe I'm just paranoid. :idontknow:

2K  0

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
    SAKJR likes this.
  4. eclipsh

eclipsh Proven Member

Joined Jun 16, 2005
    Durango, Colorado
    I gained extra headroom by chopping off the humps on the center rear seat mount points then lowering them flush with the rest of the bar and rewelding. After that I added a block on the outside front to bring it level with the inside front. That gave me a level area to mount new brackets and still be able to slide the seat. I am 6'4" and using Celica seats. If I had true racing buckets I'd get even more room. That said I am in a convertible and only run a four point roll bar so it doesn't have to go past my head. There is no way I could fit bars past my head and have the top still go up. 20160417_124502.jpg 20160417_125807.jpg 20160417_125440.jpg

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    eclipsh

2K  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    awd · manual · 2G DSM