The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Making seat covers

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iaintmaci

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 22, 2010
Washington, Pennsylvania
I bought my car with a set of nasty looking tan seat covers. I pulled them off to reveal factory light grey leather seats...or what was left of them. I plan on attempting to cut these apart and make my own new covers for them.

The question I am having....

Since I use my car as a daily, I can't really afford to be down. If I pull the factory covers off, can I get away with sticking a set of universal covers on while I am redoing the upholstery? I don't want to try it without any for-knowledge and end up not having a useable seat.

Thanks for any help.

The 'back cushion' does not use the seat cover to hold it to the frame, however the seat cushion cover keeps the foam down. There is the bottom metal shell that helps position it. Ut not down. If you we're careful not to let the foam slip, I'm sure you could get away with using some slip fit covers or the like.
Taking off the factory covers is not fun due to the hog rings but is def doable even with just two needle nose pliers. I'd highly recommend buying some new ones from an upholstery shop. Also recommend hog ring pliers.
Each pleat has at least 2 rings and it can be discouraging but they all eventually come off.
All the plastic needs to come off, but I don't see why you can't leave the plastic trim off until its ready to get back together.
It's a bit of a task but I took off my 4 covers to make slots for harnesses, sowed and everything back together in 2 days(maybe 6 hours a day). But that's nothing like making new ones completely.
In summary, keep the cushion foam from slipping around, I don't see why it couldn't be done.
Goodluck!

I'm doing this same thing. Mine is my DD, and I've got 3 kids to add to that. I started with my passenger seat. I kept having issues with my sewing machine, so I ended up spreading the reupholstery on this out seat for almost 2 weeks LOL...I was aggrivated. I now that if I sit down, I could have a seat done in a day. Just gotta get time away from the kids ;-) Hopefully in a few weeks I'll have it done...wanna get my new carpet in, but I won't allow it until my seats are done LOL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back