The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Low RPM exhaust smoke...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viseversa101

Proven Member
Mar 10, 2013
millbury, Ohio
Car:
98 Eagle Talon 420a

Symptom:
Low RPM exhaust smoke

Okay where do I start. When I bought the car, the owner mentioned it eating up oil and hadnt a clue why. I noticed a valve cover gasket was needed so I quickly did that and a compression test. 185 a crossed the board.
But oil consumption was still an issue. I never left a puddle but I noticed oil around my filter and oil pan. I figured my oil change was coming up so I sea foamed it. Left it in there long enough to take it to a lift to put the new catback on. Manifold all the way back. No catalytic here, so now I figure the sea foam is really working for the amount of smoke I am seeing.
I take it home change the oil over mobil 1 full synthetic with new oil pan gasket. Now zero leaks but I am smelling burnt oil and still losing 1/2 a quart a week. No sound of ticking from the engine, just the low rpm exhaust smoke that it annoying.
I do not have oil in the intake, I checked the pcv it was fine, even bought a new 1, no oil on the plugs or signs of leakage just smoke out of cyl 4.
Tommarow I will grab a tester and redo compression. This is stumping and irritating the heck out of me :( I have so much lined up for this car, but its all on hold till I figure this out.

Any insight here would greatly be appreciated. I am trying to avoid pulling the head if I do not have to.....

Okay, I added in some lucas oil treatment yesterday and drove it for about 50 miles. I was still noticing the low rpm smoke. So I decided to run the compression test, warmed it up for about 20 minutes, unhooked the spark and fuel and came up with 170 give or take a crossed the board telling me seal pistons are okay.
I suspect now that valves are not sealing properly due to carbon but I do not know. I wanted to avoid pulling the head and decided to then sea foam a 1/3 of a can through the brake booster vacuum this morning after warming it up and holding it at about 2000 rpm. I noticed minor smoking during this for about 10 minutes. I drove another 50 miles on the road to let the sea foam do its thing and did not notice any significant amounts of smoke and came home.
Its still smoking at low RPM but is now not as thick. Now I am smelling fuel as if it were running rich.....grrr

Yea that is what I was assuming too was going to be the problem, but before I pulled the head off for a valve job I wanted to trouble shoot things and see if I couldnt avoid doing so, and vuala. Using Lucas oil synthetic in the oil, lucas gas treatment in a full tank of gas, then sea foaming 1/3 can thru the brake booster vacuum line, and 130 miles later....no low RPM smoke :D

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back