The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

lots of oil usage but high compression

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iisbernhard

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 6, 2002
usa, Georgia
me and my friend did a compression test on his car which is burning 1 qt per 150 miles...LOL....anyways its a 1.8 the manual sais compression to be 185 psi in each cylinder....we had
1-200
2-200
3-200
4-185

now i know somthins f'ed on this thing...but why am i gettin such high compression numbers?

its got 150000 miles on it and runs kinda sluggish compared to my 1.8
the plugs always have white crusty stuff on em even after like 2 weeks of bein replaced... i know its burning oil cuz it smokes like crazy so dont say i have a leak...pcv vavle has been replaced too...when the oil is changed 3 days later its BLACK as can be

Sounds like the rings are worn or the valve seals are bad. You're getting oil in the cylinders which is probably the cause of the high compression readings. Look kinda like this?
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
:D

I've seen em like that with worn out rings, and with bad valve seals, I even saw some that where a LOT worse than that when my friend blew a hole through a piston. It is most common to see a plug like that when the valve seals go. Take off the intake-exhaust manifold and check for oil in the ports, that's a dead giveaway! ;)

i've never saw a 1.8l, but maybe it could be the spark plug tube seals between the valve cover and the head.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back