The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

lost key

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsm racer91

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 25, 2009
austin, Texas
:confused:ok so i bought a wrecked 97 gst
the owner lost the key because he was selling it for parts
is there a way i can start the car without the key so i can know if the enrine runs. could i hotwire it and if so how?

also he said it has a 6 bolt with a 7 bolt head, how can i tell if its really a 6 bolt ?

Take apart the steering area and disconnect the plastic connector from the back and hotwire it, its only 3 wires to start the car.
Look at the wiring diagram and you should be able to figure it out.

You can hotwire it as well. I dont think these cars have an immobilizer. Now I have no clue how to hotwire a vehicle.

The only other way I know of is jamming a big ass screwdriver in the ignition and breaking the ignition switch lock. I would not recommend it.

You won't be able to get a key from the dealer, but locksmiths should have all the keycodes. I couldn't get a key made for my 1g, and dealers typically carry keycodes for 10 years.
The only issue with the hotwire, is the steering wheel is still locked, just to get it running right?

had the same problem once,you have too take the pass side door handle off and bring it too a locksmith. and he can make a key from that. the glove box will not work already asked about that.

Just go check at the dealer anyways, usually with some talking they can help you out. I managed to get a Talon key for my 94, Shit I got a new key for my 86 corolla. Just tell them everything, tell them you misplaced the key, and bring the kid with you. I'm almost positive if they're a good dealership they'll be able to help you buddy!

BS I got my key from the dealer. Just brought them proof of ownership, 20 bucks, and a vin and they gave me a key.

Yeah I never thought of going to the dealership to get a key. If there not a piss poor dealership they should make you a key.

I used to know the parts and maint devision of the mitsu dealership in Huntsville AL too bad he quit because he got me keys all the time for 1g and 2g dsms.

thats the problem theres not a dealer close to where i live and i cant go look for one cause i dont have an engine thats why i wanna figure out if this engine im getting works

and thanks 95blackGsTurbo for the link to the 6 bolt

take the cover between the steering wheeel and the dash then their is a white circle plastic behind on the other end of the ignition switch disconnect that white plastic, it has two small screws then just turn it with a screw driver and when your finish put it back...this the way not to damage anything

Yeah, just take some small bolt cutters and cut the whole harness across that goes to the key,
black/white plus red/white plus black/white should kick the starter... just from memory...

stop asking how to hotwire a ####ing car, your asking to get flamed.

thanks everybody but now the car only cranks but dosent start
i wants to start but for some reason i dosent and when it does it dies?

thanks for all your help
the engine ran fine after i replace some vacum lines

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back