The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Lost an Alternator

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSM1G90

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 6, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
Getting ready to head to work today. Pulled the Laser out of the garage and went down the street to get to my freeway entrance.

Halfway to my freeway entrance, all of my warning lights suddenly illuminated - be the coolant level, battery and brake light-no light blinking, or any other warning issued as I've experienced before.

Right off, I knew I lost my charging system. Thus, suddenly went back home to use the family car to get to work.

After getting home from work this evening, dug out the VOM, started up the LASER for a nice idle, put the VOM probes over the battery and sure enough 10.8VDC was the reading on the display.

Yep, blew an alternator. Unit was less than 2yrs old and a reman alternator from a good alternator shop here in town.

Odd, never had an alternator fail that quick, for usually, remans can endure for quite the time.

"Oh well" -it's nothing to do an alternator on these things.

-DSM

Course, not blaming them for the sudden failure, for I've had great experience with them and known them for years (might be a bit more than NAPA and AZ-which I'll never go to for remans at AZ) with parts to do my own repairs along with getting remans from them...they get these Mitsu remans from another vendor.

Durobilt is the shop-they provide excellent service and repair for both starters and gens/alternators. I highly recommend anybody to them in this valley. Practically, all the farmers around this county bring their 12v/24v motor devices to this shop for repair and rebuild that comes off of their implements.

Probably just a fluke that this one decided to crap out, yet my battery could be getting tired, being a 4yr old battery, and it probably found the right time to take the alternator out along with its age.

See what happens. - DSM

Be a good time to upgrade to a '96 Galant 90 amp alternator. Plug and play. FYI

Thanks for the reply. I wanted to know because I have a dead oem alternator laying around and I would rather have it rebuilt than get one from AZ or NAPA. I wasn't aware that anyone in town did that type of work.

Be a good time to upgrade to a '96 Galant 90 amp alternator. Plug and play. FYI
The 96 galant 90 amp will swap over for a 2g dsm since it has a 4 pin plug. 91-93 galant has 2 pin plug like 1g dsm to swap over plug and play. That would be nice if OP could find one, i cant get lucky around junkyards here to find that generation galant anymore :(

Thx..no 1G Galants to be found over here for quite the time now.
All Galants seen recently have the 4G64's in them.
Yet, last year, one yard had a '91 with the SOHC 4G63 motor in it.
Even 1G DSM's are getting rare to find, and if so,mainly with 4G37's in them.
Last turbo I saw was an '91 Eagle TSi with the complete engine since the body was "t-boned" pretty bad. Motor and tranny was removed the next day.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back