The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

looking to start tuning, not looking to drop much $

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What other 420a's have you seen an awd conversion on if its been done id love to see it and know how they did it post a link if you have one.

Fwd traction is overkill for the 420a, wth would you do with awd? Who would want to spend a couple grand to have an awd n/a 140hp car? That wasnt what i meant anyway. People say they're modding the 420 to be different, well its not different its just stupid. Its been done..

If someone is so stuck on the 420a, mod a base model neon. The car is 600lbs lighter stock for stock. Id imagine you could get a neon under 2000lbs fairly easy. That might be something to work with. But its a shame that motor ever came in a eclipse. Its been the breeding ground for ricers since f&f. People starting with 140hp and wanting 300whp+ for 2k. Not going to happen.

Your best bet is to rebuild the 420A with stronger internals and piece together a nice turbo kit.

Also if your dreams for AWD are splurging then coming from a 420A owner, i would suggest you sell and get a AWD talon or eclipse. sorry just my 2cents

You can make a 420a into a great, strong awesome car. I used to have one, and there's one major determaning factor that comes into play when working with that platform.....$$$$ Money $$$$

Take your 100.00 and put it aside in a "tuning" fund. Then add more too it. In the meantime there's tons of reading that can be done on megasquirt. You said you wanted to get STARTED into learning how to tune your car. Well honestly the best start you can have is learning what the hell your doing way before you physically do anything to your car. You can learn/prepare ALOT waaaay before you even own your tuning device.

Cut down to basics of your original question, there is no option for a 100.00 tuning device. Even bare minimum for a GST/GSX is about 200.00, and in that case it has to have a 98 or 99 ECU. You could go SAFC with your engine too...but I wouldnt do it. There's better options..aka megasquirt.

Dude, get over yourself. It was a joke, Learn to take them. If you're asking for advice on tuning and what to get, you shouldn't be trying to jump this far ahead. If I were you, sell the car, buy a GSX shell, and start from there.

This thread is full of fail.

OP, your first question is almost not even correctly answerable, the reason I say that is simply because even second hand, you'll need more than $100 to start tuning.

Next, you got your answer, if you want to start tuning you have to buy safc2 or Squirt new or used, running you over your $100 right there.

Then you want to tell us you're going to mod that FWD N/T DSM and make it an all-wheel-drive, all-wheel-steering car? And you get mad for people being real with you? LOL, I'm going to tell you one thing, the odds that you achieve this are so slim to none, that I'm going to say right away that you won't come near achieving this, now you can get your panties in a bunch if you want, I don't care... So take my 'hater' attitude, and use it as motivation, because you'll need it! ;)

That fact that I said I have $100 available now was just my starting figure, between bills, fixing my wifes 82 camaro and food/gas that's what I should have left at the end of the month, I was seeing if there was anything near that price that I could start my journey down tuning blvd with. I was told its going to be about $150 for a used megasquirt, that gave me a number to come up with for this process, I'm not looking to spend a crapton of money on my first engine management system simply because I have learned from other things that its better to start out with a good condition used quality item before buying a shiny new top of the line one so that if you screw up while learning what your doing its not as much money being thrown away if there is a critical error.

When I get to my full build I'm going all out because I will have the experience from my rebuild and from other tinkering projects that I have been doing with my car to learn the nuances and the finer details of it that I won't be worried about letting the other motor take time to be made, I plan on throwing great parts into it, blueprinting, balancing, porting, oversizing, and polishing it till it shines like a new penny, which are pretty shiny. My full build is going to be my masterpiece with this car, untill then I'm learning what's what and how to do everything so that when it comes time for the final draft I will be ready.

I like a good challenge, besides how often do you see or hear about an AWD ESi ? Its different, I like different so I am going to make it, I do understand that I have a huge amount of custom fabrication in front of me but I see that as just another way of setting my car apart from all the other DSMs and everything else out there.
My car is going to be to DSMs as my dads pinto was to other pintos in the 80s

I'm so tired of that lame "I want to do something different" mentality. There's a difference between doing something "different" with a base that's worth the trouble and doing something "different" because no one in their right mind would even consider something like that with a FWD N/T 2.0 inline 4 made by Chrysler...

OP, you're not going to smoke anyone's ass. I'm already past the 300awhp and have over $3,000.00 CAD spent in my talon, and it's already AWD... And that's not even alot of power for a DSM so you're indeed very far from kicking anyones ass, so I suggest that you get off your high horse, and learn to walk before you try to run.

Funny thing is, when (if) you'll be done, your car will be an AWD Turbo DSM... How is that different? Haha, Hey man, I have a Turbo AWD Talon TSI too! :) "Yeah but mine's a ESI" No one will give a sh!t about that...

I think you're throwing people off with your posts. You have some very lofty, and expensive goals. The idea of starting to tune your car, which likely shouldn't be the first thing you do, and shouldn't be done when your budget is only $100, seems a strange way to approach these goals.

1. Wait until you have the funding for the best tuning option that will work for what you're trying to do. Don't just limit yourself to the options in the $100 range. Wait to get started when you have the funding available. If you buy something cheap that works now, it likely won't be the best option later (like an S-AFC).

2. Map out and plan your build clearly. An AWD conversion is a major project and you're going to have a ton of obstacles to overcome. Doing a turbo 420A is nothing new. Just do the research on that and find what people are using for tuning options. Don't get stuck on tuning the car as your first step. Keep the overall build in perspective. You'll be limiting yourself if you think about it any other way.

Again, your posts have led some people to question your goals. When you started talking about 450 hp and AWD conversion, your question about tuning options for $100 made it sound like you didn't really have a solid grasp on what you were getting yourself into. Anyone who would have asked me that question with those goals would have made me raise my eyebrows as well. You're looking at about $20k worth of modifications and fabrication for this build, at least. I hope you succeed, but try not to get defensive about everyone's reactions. Make friends here, it'll help you a lot in the long run.

Wise words from a wise man!

My intent was to not even reply to this thread when I first read it... But after seeing how defensive you got over the realist replies you've got, I had no choice but to voice my opinion as well...

If you want to be real about this, I think you better open a savings account and throw money in there until you've got enough to at least turbo the thing... Then come back and tell us whether or not you think it's still worth the effort... And the huge $ sign at the end of this.

In addition to Chris's excellent advice, I'll be a bit different and give you something tangible to spend your hard-earned cash on that will get you on your way:

Designing and Tuning High-Performance Fuel Injection Systems
Engine Management: Advanced Tuning

Best $32.94 you'll ever spend.

Once you fully understand everything presented in those books, you'll be off to a good start on understanding tuning and better prepared to make smart decisions, rather than making them based on what you "think" you know right now. You will also know what to search for on this and other forums, so that you're research time is more productive.

Learn to walk before you try running. ;)

I think you need to take step back and really look at this.

My first question why all wheel steering? Have you even looked into how complex it would be? Plus the added weight to the car. GM did this with a few of their trucks in the Denali line in the mid 2000's.

Also have you looked into making your car al wheel drive? To be honest it was my goal too with my rs. The only solution I saw available was an evo 8 engine and tranny swap. The good news is it's basically drop in (as far as mounting the engine and tranny). You will have to have a standalone EMS or spend ALOT of time soldering and looking at connections and where they go.

I will admit I have seen the turbo guys bash on the 420a guys plenty but you also don't make it any easier with comments like you just wait my car will burn all you guys when you don't even sound like you have a clue about what you are talking about. It's hard to help someone who is ignorant and starts attacking other members esp. ones that have been on here forever and are just trying to help or give advice. There is a huge amount of information here and people willing to help. Don't start burning bridges and giving people attitude because if you can't find you answer elsewhere the search or someone on here can answer your question for sure!

Back to the OP google the megasquirt look at www.symtechlabs.com and www.megamanual.com you will find a lot of answers there as well as using the search options within the site.

This is by far the best DSM forum on the web hands down! I mean it was in a magazine (I don't remember which import tuner super street dsport one of them) but how many forums can say they have been in a magazine before?

Anyways good luck with your goals...

Last edited by a moderator:

My first question why all wheel steering? Have you even looked into how complex it would be? Plus the added weight to the car. GM did this with a few of their trucks in the Denali line in the mid 2000's.

Also have you looked into making your car al wheel drive? To be honest it was my goal too with my rs. The only solution I saw available was an evo 8 engine and tranny swap. The good news is it's basically drop in (as far as mounting the engine and tranny). You will have to have a standalone EMS or spend ALOT of time soldering and looking at connections and where they go.

I will admit I have seen the turbo guys bash on the 420a guys plenty but you also don't make it any easier with comments like you just wait my car will burn all you guys when you don't even sound like you have a clue about what you are talking about. It's hard to help someone who is ignorant and starts attacking other members esp. ones that have been on here forever and are just trying to help or give advice. There is a huge amount of information here and people willing to help. Don't start burning bridges and giving people attitude because if you can't find you answer elsewhere the search or someone on here can answer your question for sure!

Back to the OP google the megasquirt look at www.symtechlabs.com and www.megamanual.com you will find a lot of answers there as well as using the search options within the site.

This is by far the best DSM forum on the web hands down! I mean it was in a magazine (I don't remember which import tuner super street dsport one of them) but how many forums can say they have been in a magazine before?

What magazine were we in? I never saw it! Damn.... back on topic.

Last edited:
Chris when I go back home in may (currently at college) i'll look for it and get back to you I know I have the issue somewhere...

Jesus Christ guys! There is so much bashing that its getting dumb. Answer the OPs original question and stop filling the thread with your opinion. Let the guy do what he wants to do. Hell, you all had dreams, even back when this car was laughed at performance wise. Thank you to those who have posted useful information.

He asked something, he got his answer. The rest is simply realistic takes on his goals, he's the one who over reacted and attracted negative attention.

There is a huge difference between opinion and answer.

Your opinion is that we shouldn't give our opinions? You see how ironic that is?

Your opinion is that we shouldn't give our opinions? You see how ironic that is?
I think what he's trying to say is that this thread isn't very helpful when people are going off on the guy for the goals he posted, however unreachable some may think they are. Instead of replying with negative attitudes and harsh criticism, I'd rather see members of our site replying with ways to help the guy, like I did. All that I see going on is people bagging on the guy and his natural reaction is to get defensive. I tried to offer some insight as to why people are replying the way they are, but in reality, we shouldn't be seeing many of the replies that were posted here. I could easily hand out suspensions for some of these replies.

The way I look at it: Even with all that custom fab work to make an AWD/AWS Esi, It's still gonna be an Esi. And with as many AWD's getting parted out and sent to the junk yard. It'd be nice to see all the money this guy plans on spending being used to restore an AWD car. :confused: Eh, to each his own though.

You can make a 420a into a great, strong awesome car. I used to have one, and there's one major determaning factor that comes into play when working with that platform.....$$$$ Money $$$$

Take your 100.00 and put it aside in a "tuning" fund. Then add more too it. In the meantime there's tons of reading that can be done on megasquirt. You said you wanted to get STARTED into learning how to tune your car. Well honestly the best start you can have is learning what the hell your doing way before you physically do anything to your car. You can learn/prepare ALOT waaaay before you even own your tuning device.

Cut down to basics of your original question, there is no option for a 100.00 tuning device. Even bare minimum for a GST/GSX is about 200.00, and in that case it has to have a 98 or 99 ECU. You could go SAFC with your engine too...but I wouldnt do it. There's better options..aka megasquirt.

Also have you looked into making your car al wheel drive? To be honest it was my goal too with my rs. The only solution I saw available was an evo 8 engine and tranny swap. The good news is it’s basically drop in (as far as mounting the engine and tranny). You will have to have a standalone EMS or spend ALOT of time soldering and looking at connections and where they go.

I will admit I have seen the turbo guys bash on the 420a guys plenty but you also don’t make it any easier with comments like you just wait my car will burn all you guys when you don’t even sound like you have a clue about what you are talking about. It’s hard to help someone who is ignorant and starts attacking other members esp. ones that have been on here forever and are just trying to help or give advice. There is a huge amount of information here and people willing to help. Don't start burning bridges and giving people attitude because if you can’t find you answer elsewhere the search or someone on here can answer your question for sure!

This is by far the best DSM forum on the web hands down! I mean it was in a magazine (I don’t remember which import tuner super street dsport one of them) but how many forums can say they have been in a magazine before?

Two best post in this thread, anyway good luck OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back