The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Looking for opinions on rear bumper detail paint

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridge

Probationary Member
Mar 6, 2021
Brazil, South_America
Hey guys, I'm going to be repairing the paint of my rear bumper soon and I've been messing around in a photo editor to see if I can come up with some changes to it to make it unique. My rear bumper is a 98-style custom bumper with a few visual changes here and there. It already came with the car when I bought it. Considering those differences, I thought that an "Evo X look" would look cool, like painting a section of the bottom side black, following the lines of the bumper's shape. I've seen some people do this on their DSMs although to a much lesser scale. So I did the edit and to my surprise, it didn't look that bad! I really like how it looks from afar, but part of me feels that it's just way too much. I'm at the middle of the scale between deciding to go for this look or not, which is why I'm seeking out opinions of others to see what they think of it. I'll attach a few photos of the original bumper and what it would look like if I went for it. Let me know your opinions on it!

Left side proposed change, right side original

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Why don't you try working with the design of the bumper and only blacking out the recessed area across the back, and not bringing the black to the bottom edge? That recessed area could also be a location for some carbon fiber film, or maybe a complimentary color, other than black. You could PS those ideas and see how they look.

The reason is because I've never seen a car with that style before. Plus wouldn't it look like a mustache of sorts? hahaha
I only had this idea because of the Evo 9 and Evo 10 Rear Bumpers, which have a black spot that goes all the way to the bottom, as you can see in the pictures below:

I appreciate the idea though, I went ahead and did a quick little edit to see how it would look like and honestly it doesn't look bad as well!

Thanks! Ah yeah that's the word I was looking for, a diffuser :thumb:
I'm fairly confident now that this is the look I want to go for. I have until Tuesday to decide, which is when the bumper will start to be painted. I wonder if it's better to do it as a wrap though, in case I don't like the end result hmmm

Haha mustache...so funny.

It's gonna look good though, great idea.

I've been throwing the idea around of grabbing the Carbonetics rear diffuser, I really like the look of it.

haha it definitely looks like one!

I appreciate the feedback ^^ I ended up choosing not to paint or wrap it that way because even though I liked the look, I think it would be a huge change to the look of the rear I wasn't sure if I was ready for it or not ... But I definitely want to do it in the future!

If I had the OEM Bumper I'd definitely go for that Carbonetics one for sure

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back