The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Logged my car, someone review please! tell me what you think about this

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spoolio

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 3, 2003
Port Charlotte, Florida
i was have serious boost problems with my car last week, i had no boost leaks so i retimed my car it was way off, now it spools up fine, but still running a little boggy down low

i have an SAFC2 i believe that i set the lowthrottle and high throttle back to 0% across the board so its basicly back to stock when i did this log today

here is a list of my engine mods,

small 16G , Bushcur 2 1/2" dp, 3" mendrel bent catback exhuast no muffler, Apexi SAFC, Datalogger, manual BC, ,custom ic pipeing. Exedy Stage 2 clutch and pressure plate, Fidanza 8lb Flywheel, 3" GM Mass, MAFT, dejontool blowthrough UICP, stock fuel pump, may be a 190lph, but i havent checked yet, i never asked the other owner. , aftermarket airfilter connected to stock intake piping, stock wires, and ngk sparkplugs gapped to 32, i was pushing around 14 psi also

FIRST PICTURE IS A PULL IN 3RD GEAR WHICH I HIT FUEL CUT WHILE DOING THIS LOGG, SECOND PICTURE IS A 4TH GEAR PULL

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

give me some thoughts and what i should be setting my safc to. anyone help!

Did you hit fuel cut in both runs? What are your settings on the translator, and are you still on the stock fuel injectors?

i hit fuel cut on the 3rd gear pull only, yes im on stock injectors and the settings on the translator i belive are the way they came when i bought it, i dont think i changed the air/fuel ratio on it,

Check the settings on the Translator just to be sure. All of the small DIP switches should be set to off. Since you're still on stock injectors Aux shoud be 0, Base should set to 2, set the Idle, Mid, & Wot knobs to 0.

Set all the low and high throttle correctons on your afc back to zero, turn the boost down as much as you can, and make another run. Since you're on stock injectors, I don't see any need to fiddle with the low throttle settings. The high throttle settings are another concern.

Do another log with the settings I mentioned, and instead of the graphs, try to get a numbered spreadsheet. I can't tell what engine speed you're at when you pick up heavy knock, and that'll go a long way towards figuring out your knock problems.

thanx ill get to work on that tomorrow

Quasimondo said:
Check the settings on the Translator just to be sure. All of the small DIP switches should be set to off. Since you're still on stock injectors Aux shoud be 0, Base should set to 2, set the Idle, Mid, & Wot knobs to 0.

Set all the low and high throttle correctons on your afc back to zero, turn the boost down as much as you can, and make another run. Since you're on stock injectors, I don't see any need to fiddle with the low throttle settings. The high throttle settings are another concern.

Do another log with the settings I mentioned, and instead of the graphs, try to get a numbered spreadsheet. I can't tell what engine speed you're at when you pick up heavy knock, and that'll go a long way towards figuring out your knock problems.

ok i did everything you just told me to do, i wasnt able to get any other kinda chart on the logging software, this is all i can get from it, here ya go this was at 10psi, and all the settings you asked me to do,

OH YEA IT WOULDNT FIT THE WHOLE THING SO I HAD TO CUT THE PICTURE INTO 2 PARTS, SO BOTH OF THESE LOGGS ARE THE SAME LOG, JUST SPLIT INTO 2 CAUSE ITS A LITTLE LONG

hopefully this time we can get some solutions from this logg, thanx i need help asap! LOL

Add +4 starting at 4000rpm and to each rpm point on the High settings of SAFC. You get a little knock in that area. Once you don't have knock turn boost up 1-2 psi at a time. Then watch for knock and add fuel at that rpm point.

ok your losing me a little bit, wow i wasnt aware there was any other dsmers in the area, happy to see someone within a half hour from me, im in ft myers all the time.

What he's saying is on the high throttle setting of the SAFC, increase the correction to +4% at 4K, 5K, 6K, 7K, and 8K and make another run (he's suggesting starting at 4000 rpm's that's where you started picking up knock). That will make the ecu put more fuel in at 4K to redline and reduce your knock count. Once you have your knock count under 3, turn your boost up a quarter turn, and repeat the process.

If you can log injector duty cycles, continue the process until you reach 85% on the IDC's, otherwise continue until you can run 15-16 psi safely. Any more and you'll have a heatsoaked intercooler that'll cause heavy knocking no matter how much fuel you dump in there.

Quasimondo said:
What he's saying is on the high throttle setting of the SAFC, increase the correction to +4% at 4K, 5K, 6K, 7K, and 8K and make another run (he's suggesting starting at 4000 rpm's that's where you started picking up knock). That will make the ecu put more fuel in at 4K to redline and reduce your knock count. Once you have your knock count under 3, turn your boost up a quarter turn, and repeat the process.

If you can log injector duty cycles, continue the process until you reach 85% on the IDC's, otherwise continue until you can run 15-16 psi safely. Any more and you'll have a heatsoaked intercooler that'll cause heavy knocking no matter how much fuel you dump in there.
:thumb:

ok i understood that part, i just didnt understand what he meant by rpm point on the safc, i understand i was just blurring out for some reason before, ok im gonna go do that and make another logg, gimmie about 15min

heres the 3rd gear pull, at 10psi safc hi-throttle settings at +4 incriments at 4k-5-6-7-8, im not sure if youll need both parts but i added both in anyways.

first part of the logg

second part of the same logg

When you get on the trottle, do you roll on it, or do you mash it? I'm trying to figure out where this knock is coming from that you're picking up before you go WOT. It's following on to your WOT runs and doesn't clear until you're off the gas. Are you having any problems with phantom knock?

im not exactly sure what look for if im having phantom knock, also most of the time im rolling on the throttle, unless im up at 3-4k already then ill just floor it

Phantom knock is when your knock count is pegged at partial throttle, or sometimes when you're pulling away from a stop. I'm seeing the same thing in the first log that I'm seeing in your last one. Right before you go WOT, you start picking up some knock, then it knocks even more when you floor it. What are the throttle points set at? (go to Settings, then TH-Point)

alright ill try that tomorrow, if your talking about my low throttle settings? they are set to 0% across the board, if not explain a bit more what low settings your asking about, also where in cape coral are you?, im currently working in the cape at a place called Life Line, some medical place doing the hvac system in there, anyways thanx for the response hit me back up asap

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back