The Central Hub for DSM Community and Information

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. This is where the DSM platform history is documented and archived. Log in to help us in our mission, and to remove most ads from the browsing experience.

Resolved Line Hone or Not(need to make this decision today)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spadepro22

15+ Year Contributor
1,206
14
Mar 13, 2008
Seneca, South Carolina
Well my engine will be getting the oil pan put on today and my builder has a set of arp mains and a kiggly girdle he is offering to put in for a good price. I'm just nervous about not having it line honed and the other machine work is already done. Yes I've researched, but theres seems to be no define answer. Would you install without line hone?
 
Solution
I decided not to go with them, it was too late in the game and I didn't feel confident in running them without knowing for sure about the line hone deal. Hate I had to pass up on the insurance of the arps, kriggly girdle and steal of a deal for them tho! I'm just paranoid after my other fresh motor walked.
I would not assemble the bottom end without checking the line hone as stated by a seasoned machinist above.

While they may be in spec, a machine shop with the correct tool can perform the check in a matter of minutes. Yes, it involves installing the parts and torquing the fasteners but well worth the extra effort and money to assure that you will not ruin a brand new bottom end. :)

To answer your question, I would not say that you "need" an align hone but I would highly recommend you at the very least get them checked to insure the new fasteners and girdle do not throw anything off.

Here is a video done by Jafro in regards to his most recent build involving a girdle. Hopefully this will shed some light on the process as well.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xzi7LYpb05A&list=UUyGT_yinKL7uRiZmTjC17RQ&index=4[/ame]

Robert
 
I decided not to go with them, it was too late in the game and I didn't feel confident in running them without knowing for sure about the line hone deal. Hate I had to pass up on the insurance of the arps, kriggly girdle and steal of a deal for them tho! I'm just paranoid after my other fresh motor walked.
 
Solution
Add Value - Be Respectful - No Trolling - No Misinformation - Participate Often!
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community

Latest Classifieds

Back
Top