The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Shim or not to shim..

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zufelt

Proven Member
Oct 15, 2012
Lemoore, California
Hey guys, just a quick question while I'm putting in the new ACT 2600 clutch and street disc.. I have a new fork, pivot ball, slave, flywheel bolts, OEM TOB, retainer clip. The flywheel is resurfaced and machined to spec of .612. My question is should I throw a 1mm washer under the pivot ball, or would that just be a bandaid.. I've read that it's best to be safe and do it, and others say that if you nee to do that them there's an adjustment problem.

My last question is what side should the end of the fork be facing once done, somewhat to the passamger side, or drivers? Thanks in advance for any answers

To shim Pivot ball or Not to shim - DSM Forums

to shim or not to shim? - DSM Forums

shim or not to shim - DSM Forums

You shim the pivot ball only when it's needed (everything else is correct) and by examining the clutch fork position in the window when bell housing is mounted to engine.
Read here: TRE TECH TIPS
How to video here: Pivot Ball Shimming - YouTube

Awesome video, ended up playing it on my phone. Internet doesn't allow youtube videos.

The only thing I didn't catch from that video would be if the 1mm washer would be okay.. being that the flywheel is resurfaced and stepped (OEM) It would be safe to assume it's going to need a shim on it... just curious on what you think I should start out with. I can always pull it off again if it's not correct but I figure there is more than likely a general size washer to fit under it while I read 1mm I'm sure that's not for every situation and it would vary from situation to situation. My last question would be when to know if it's shimmed to much.. I know now that it should be more towards the slave, but could it perhaps be to much? Thanks again for that video, I'll search youtube on my phone next time for one of Jacks Videos.

Starting off with 1mm is a good choice being that you stepped the FW. Remember that you won't know for sure if you need to change the number of washers until the bell housing is mounted and you see where the fork ends up when held lightly against the TO bearing.

If shimmed too much you may preload the TOB on the PP (causing TOB to wear prematurely as well as starting the clutch to disengage or never engage fully), OR when clutch pedal is depressed the PP fingers may hit the disc springs (I have personal experience on this one).

Starting off with 1mm is a good choice being that you stepped the FW. Remember that you won't know for sure if you need to change the number of washers until the bell housing is mounted and you see where the fork ends up when held lightly against the TO bearing.

If shimmed too much you may preload the TOB on the PP (causing TOB to wear prematurely as well as starting the clutch to disengage or never engage fully), OR when clutch pedal is depressed the PP fingers may hit the disc springs (I have personal experience on this one).

I'll aim to be in the middle then, thanks for your help man!

I shimmed a long time ago and experienced rpm drop on clutch press (>150rpm drop). Removed the shim, drop went away. I never hit the fingers against the springs, but I'm sure I overextended the fingers causing an exponential amount of force to be placed against the crank and quite possibly thrust bearing.That was on all-new fidanza hardware but never checked for step.

Shim only if that's the last resort to correcting the geometry, as all of luv2rallye's points are spot-on.

Yeah, You'll want it to the right of center if you had the flywheel resurfaced. Mine was in the center, but the clutch fork still ended up hitting the transmission bell housing when the clutch was disengaging. I added ~1mm shim and it made a huge difference.

Thanks for the help guys, shimmed it with a 1mm washer and ce out perfect..

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

One last question ( I hope ) does anyone know what this is to? I didn't pull it off when I removed the tranny that I can remember.. It's a single black wire with a clip on it..

I'm not sure. I think I have that wire just taped to the wiring harness. My guess is it's for an automatic transmission?

Possible, but I believe this one was a manny from factory. I also found this little feller.. Maybe it did use to be a auto?..

Is that on the fire wall behind the battery?? almost looks like it was for a factory alarm.

Right on the money. Viper alarm, so that would make sense, but what's the single black wire? I've searched everywhere and can't find it's place.

With out looking under my hood I couldn't tell you. I'm almost positive I don't have that guy hooked up.

It's a single wire so I would assume it's for something simple. Like maybe a temp switch for an auto idiot light?

It's not listed on this thread

Thank you for posting Zufelt. I have the exact same setup as you and was wondering about the shim! Also what kind of grease do people recommend using on the pivot ball and fork. My dad has a grease gun that I've used in the past but I'm not sure if there is a specific grease that is best.

Thank you for posting Zufelt. I have the exact same setup as you and was wondering about the shim! Also what kind of grease do people recommend using on the pivot ball and fork. My dad has a grease gun that I've used in the past but I'm not sure if there is a specific grease that is best.

I used a high temp grease with a 1mm washer came out perfect. Grease the TOB inner ring fork, pivot, and I lightly greased the input shaft.

As for the connection, I'm gunna Leave it and see what happens... Does anyone know why the tranny bolts are all flat at the end except for one which is kind of pointed? I labeled all my stuff so I know it goes to the tranny (and threads in) just kinda curious.. Hopefully it's nothing important (the clip) dot are how it could be with only a ground wire.. And nowhere to connect it.

Can someone do me a big favor and see if this whole to the trang has anything? It's oddly clean around to not.. Makes me worrysome, it's right by the axle boot in the picture

Just to anyone who wanted to know, that clip went to te starter, my car would t turn over without it LOL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back