The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

to build or not to build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mcmuscle3

Proven Member
Sep 18, 2013
Tazewell, Virginia
Hey guys, I have a 96 gsx with fp manifold, upgraded fuel system, hx35 bolt on housing. Engine is currently stock:(with metal shavings in the oil):notgood:........
My budget is around 1500. Im having a tough choice figuring out which direction I want to go, so i figured I would ask for some advice.

I can get a used 1g long block for 1000 bucks and have it put it and running around 1200.
Or
I can purchase a built but used short block for $1500 and try to clean up my top end of any shavings.

I do plan to make close to 500hp in the future, so im not sure which rout is better. whichever route I go I will have my old block/head. It runs great and makes no noise, just has shavings:/

Ideas please?

I would just buy a built one and drop it in, and call it done as long as its a good block, and you already have some good mods for that goal.

thank you, would you recommend having a built a 1g or 2g engine?

If its built it doesn't really matter. A built 7 bolt with oil squirts won't crank walk.

If you would be running anything less than 500 I would say go with a rebuilt factory 6 bolt, but 500 is pushing the limits of it.

thank you, would you recommend having a built a 1g or 2g engine?

You mean 6 or 7 bolt. The 1g's also came with a 7-bolt which (apart from the larger head ports and crankwalk hysteria) aren't any stronger/better than a 2g 7-bolt.

If your building the engine, it really doesn't matter which one you build. The weak point in either engine is the rods/pistons/pins, which will be upgraded of course.

I dont have a 7 bolt. my engine that runs but has shavings in oil is a 6 bolt. I plan to tear my down and see if my crank or anything is damaged;/

I don't care if it's 6 or 7 bolt. I would like to just use my engine but with my car 4 hours away at my tuners house I can't pull the motor to inspect it. My tuner has many engines so if mines trash I will just get one from him.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back