The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Limited slip differential worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawson159

5+ Year Contributor
Nov 13, 2017
Billings, Montana
I’m thinking about buying an lsd for my fwd gst. It’s a pretty exspensive modification to do so I’m wondering if it will give me more traction which is what I’m after. I want to be able to hit boost in first gear without peeling out so will a lsd allow me to do that or should I try to find a boost by gear option instead?

It will help, but by no means will it be the magic fix for FWD shortcomings. There is pretty much no way to dead-hook 1st gear with 250hp in FWD (without slicks, anyway).

Sticky tires help a lot. All season hard as shit tires won't hook up. And a lsd will help a lot but you will still blow the tires off with enough power. Boost by gear will help also. I use boost by tps input and just keep off full throttle until the car is in 3rd.

But even then if the surface varies any you will still spin.

It will help, but by no means will it be the magic fix for FWD shortcomings. There is pretty much no way to dead-hook 1st gear with 250hp in FWD (without slicks, anyway).
Sticky tires help a lot. All season hard as sh** tires won't hook up. And a lsd will help a lot but you will still blow the tires off with enough power. Boost by gear will help also. I use boost by tps input and just keep off full throttle until the car is in 3rd.

But even then if the surface varies any you will still spin.
So do you guys think a lsd is worth the money or is the money best spent somewhere else? I was looking at apexi apr boost controllers which are boost by rpm but idk if that would work very well:idontknow:

I put a quaife in my gst about 6 months ago, really night and day difference in traction, only a 14b though so not big power but great response and driveability.
You're not going to be able to launch like an AWD on street tires, no doubt.
However throttle roll in traction is so much better, especially 2nd gear, it just goes. I can still chatter/spin 1st gear decently but the car actually pulls now if it does spin rather than light up one wheel and go nowhere.
I don't really notice torque steer anymore either even pulling through corners under throttle.
The overall driveability of the car is just so much better, crazy they didn't offer it from the factory with at least a LSD option.
It was expensive overall unless you just do the very minimum to install the diff. I refreshed some bearing's, syncros, seals, shift forks, hub/slider & replaced 2nd gear while I had it open, not a full rebuild just what needed attention. While I was there I also put in a new clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, stronger axles, new wheel hubs, big brakes, etc.
Needless to say it was expensive overall, even just looking at the tranny mods, but I don't have any regrets about it at all except that I should have done this years ago when I first bought the car, which is like almost 20 years ago now!! LOL

The car is quick and so much more fun to drive now, it took a while to learn I don't have to always feather the throttle for traction anymore!!

Not sure how you categorize worth it, to make a car you like a blast to drive on the street, totally worth it, from a car value standpoint probably not since going all in will cost as much or more than the car is actually worth.

However I think most people here probably spend way more on their dsm's than what the actual monetary value of the car is so if it's within your means why not.

You can always part the car out down the road or just the tranny, a LSD gst tranny will probably always have somebody interested.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back