The Central Hub for DSM Community and Information

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. This is where the DSM platform history is documented and archived. Log in to help us in our mission, and to remove most ads from the browsing experience.

Laptop connection to car

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catbox_95

15+ Year Contributor
789
15
Oct 24, 2004
Conroe, Texas
What are you guys using to connect a laptop to your car? (software, hardware) and where can I get these? I already have a laptop collecting dust. I hear of CHEM software and some kind of module to connect it to the ECM. Where can I get these?
 
Catbox_95 said:
What are you guys using to connect a laptop to your car? (software, hardware) and where can I get these? I already have a laptop collecting dust. I hear of CHEM software and some kind of module to connect it to the ECM. Where can I get these?

WWW.DSMLink.com

Im not sure if that is what your looking for but thats what I use with my laptop to tune my car with.
 
Dsmlink is very usery friendly. I dont even know how to tune or know the terms and i understood it after a lil reading. They even have a forum for their customers, which is very helpfull. You'll need a 95 ecu which is $200 plus the cost of the software and then a cord that has a serial to usb adapter for your laptop. I think it was in the $700 ball park, can't remember. They do have prices on their site.
 
ChOkE! OMG

Other than the obvious, why is this software so damned expensive?

Is there something about the DSM/early OBDII that makes it special? Can normal logging software get the information out? Is it any cheaper?

Ah, but I don't understand how MP3 players cost $200+, either. The profit margin must be astounding.
 
Defiant said:
Other than the obvious, why is this software so damned expensive?
Is there something about the DSM/early OBDII that makes it special? Can normal logging software get the information out? Is it any cheaper?
Ah, but I don't understand how MP3 players cost $200+, either. The profit margin must be astounding.

somones gota pay for the R&D. it isnt like you can do anything about your log via a laptop with a normal logger, dsmlink ya can.
i reallly dont think its that pricey when ya figure it replaces a s-afc,ITC,datalogger.
not to mention all the stuff it does.


ya can also get a plain ol' logger at www.obd-2.com
 
I got the Alex peper datalogger from www.obd-2.com and i am vary happy with it. easy to use and not a bad price, ~$120 and it gets you all the information you need to adjust your MAFT, SAFC II or other tuning device. DSMLink is just badass because not only can you log but you can tune the car as well. More importantly is the ability for a 2G owner to view knock counts. I wish i could afford it but the datalogger i have now is nice. It should be your first upgrade next to a Boost gauge and safeguard your investment and stop wasting money on easy repairs. It also has a neat 'dash baord' mode that can display 5 virtual gauges and can graph 6-7 parameters at a time and in 3D.

Using a laptop in our small cars is akward and i usally just start an OBD2 connection and drive around and do my runs then come home and replay the data and make adjustments. vary cool program :thumb:
 
Add Value - Be Respectful - No Trolling - No Misinformation - Participate Often!
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community

Latest Classifieds

  • Wanted PASSENGER DOOR LOWER MOLDING
    WANTED
    • LA_gst
    • Updated:
    • Expires
  • For sale 2g 2g 1999 eclipse gs-t spyder
    Very clean 2g spyder, only modifications is 14b turbo with 3inch exhaust. Well maintained and...
    • DSM B
    • Updated:
    • Expires
  • For sale 2g 1996 Talon TSI AWD
    1996 Talon TSI AWD $10,500- 90,421 miles ( will go up a little ) - clean title in hand -...
    • jersygsx
    • Updated:
    • Expires
  • For sale 2g 2g power window motors. OEM
    RH and LH power window motors. OEM $40 each or $70 for the pair. Message 702-741-6987.
    • Galant665
    • Updated:
    • Expires
  • Wanted WTB 268 Camshafts & Zero Tick Lifters
    Looking to see if anyone has a set of 268 cams in drop-in condition. I know 268 is on the Rare...
    • Ice9
    • Updated:
    • Expires
Back
Top