The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Knock sensor replacement

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SinaiTSi

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 5, 2005
Misawa, Japan, Asia
I'm about to do my knock sensor. I'v read that taking out the battery would be the easiest way to go. Is that it though? I mean, you take the battery out and then just slap it in (not that it's really that easy) but will I need any special tools? Also, is there a vfaq on installing a knock sensor, I looked and couldn't find anything. Any help is appreciated.

Taking out the battery and battery tray is the easiet way to get to the knock sensor. An adjustable wrench is a good idea as well. It really is that easy.

I just took my battery out and could barely get my hand underneath to even feel the knock sensor, much less get a wrench down there. Even though an adjustable would make it easier, i'm not even sure if with that I could get it in there. I still have all my emission hoses and all that crap in the way. Did you? Or how did you get to it then?

I did have the emissions hoses removed from when I rebuilt the engine, which is probably why it might have been easier for me. Try using those stubby adjustable wrenches with the 4" handle.

The way I did it, is lay in top of the motor (so drop a towel and be confortable). I loose the bracket that holds the manifold (or take it off if your are not planing to keep the EGR system - you don't really need it). Once I get it loose, I reached with an adjustable wrench. It took me a while to turn it, but it wasn't that bad and it takes hours.
BTW make sure the car is really cold otherwise you will burn your self really bad.....

The other way is from the bottom: taking the T-case and the bracket of the manifold as well.

More info

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back