The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Knock sensor question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDaddy186

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 29, 2004
Sicklerville, New_Jersey
Well 2g dont have them so Im beat right, well maybe not. Anyone have experience or know how with installing a knock sensor or a good explaination of how a knock sensor works. I mean will i have to power the sensor or will it work if i just run it straight to the afc. Any information on or about knock sensors will help me out here. Oh yea I will be doing a 6 bolt swap in the neer future, that will make this easier but i like to know as much as I can. Thanks

:tease: 2g turbos have a KNOCK SENSOR..... OMG

:nono: Its under your intake manifold on the block........... :thumb:

ok well why does everyone say you cant log knock with the afc 2. I just got mine and was hooking it up and was looking at my ecu and found the wire for the knock sensor wire and was like WTF . Is something different I mean between the 1g and 2g knock sensors that dont allow you log it? Im solost here and ive searched and searched and only found posts saying how 2g cant log knock and have to tune with timing?? any imput will be greatly appreciated.

The problem with the 2g is the way the knock sensor is output. You are intercepting the signal from the knock sensor before it reaches the ECU by hooking it up the SAFC-II. At this point it is a worthless signal as it is modified once it reaches the ECU. It then adjusts the knock count based on what the ECU has deemed as "normal knock".

The problem is that the ECU does not output the final knock count to the OBD-II port in the 2g's. The 1g's send the knock count out to the OBD-I port so it can be read by a logger.

Without DSMLink you can't read knock on a 2g :cry:

Damn 1g guys, they get everything. :D

There must be a way :cry: Only reason I didnt go for dsmlink is because I dont have a laptop and dont care much for driving around with one either :rolleyes: I Searched/asked about the logger they use and noone seemed to be very helpfull with getting one. So I gave up and bought an afc. :notgood: While I have a mad scientist on the subjuct. When I finally do buy dsmlink will I be able to pull up fuel maps from a run at the track so I can read through the rpm's and see where im rich/lean and tune fuel trims while looking at knock/timing/air fuel maps all simaltaniously. I think I confused myself right there :) Thanks again

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back