The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Resolved Knock Sensor Bad? Black Goo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

99OZDSM

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 16, 2007
Virginia Beach, Virginia
I have my intake manifold off and was looking at my knock sensor. There seems to be some black goo starting to come out. (Picture attached) This means my knock sensor needs replaced correct? I was getting pretty consistent phantom knock in the low rpms so I'm hoping this can potentially resolve that.

I notice supporting vendors do not carry new 2g OEM knock sensors. Where is everybody getting there replacements? I'd prefer to have OEM quality if not better. Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200120-102540_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200120-102540_Gallery.jpg
    305.8 KB · Views: 445
Yes the oozing black goo is usually a sign they need replaced. The OEM 2g knock sensor has been discontinued I think. Not sure on an aftermarket replacement, but the OEM Evo 8/9 knock sensor will work in a 2g turbo car.

I always wondered if a person could "fill" one back up with silicone and what it would read.
Yes the OEM units and even their replacements have dried up. I have stocked up a few and they were pricey in the end.

The Evo sensor is not a direct replacement for a 2g sensor! they are calibrated differently, will it plug in and read some type of knock? yep will it be the right range for the 2g ecu? probably not, you might want to swap to an Evo ecu if your using the Evo sensor. The 2g knock sensors don't really suffer from the black goo like the 1g sensors did, the 1g sensor is an active sensor, the 2g is a passive sensor, they are made differently, that sensor doesn't look bad to me, log it and see what its putting out volts wise, then maybe compare it with a known good one, yours is probably fine.

The Evo sensor is not a direct replacement for a 2g sensor! they are calibrated differently, will it plug in and read some type of knock? yep will it be the right range for the 2g ecu? probably not, you might want to swap to an Evo ecu if your using the Evo sensor. The 2g knock sensors don't really suffer from the black goo like the 1g sensors did, the 1g sensor is an active sensor, the 2g is a passive sensor, they are made differently, that sensor doesn't look bad to me, log it and see what its putting out volts wise, then maybe compare it with a known good one, yours is probably fine.

What do you mean by calibrated differently? As in a different frequency? When I asked Dave at Ecmlink about the Evo knock sensor being compatible with a 2g he didn't say anything about that. Just that the Evo wouldn't work with a 1g ECU.

What do you mean by calibrated differently? As in a different frequency? When I asked Dave at Ecmlink about the Evo knock sensor being compatible with a 2g he didn't say anything about that. Just that the Evo wouldn't work with a 1g ECU.
They are setup to resonate at a different frequency than a 2g sensor, Link Ecu standalone forums has determined that, if they worked as a 2g replacement dont you think that Mitsubishi would want to sell you the sensor for your car?

Thanks for the info, makes sense. For what it's worth I haven't seen any difference since I started using one. Still behaves the same comparing logs, heard the same back from other Ecmlink users.
And sadly no, Mitsubishi doesn't seem to want to sell us anything :(. The discontinued list just keeps getting longer.

Better buy it before I do....they are made in our home town and everyone is out of stock and I can't get the company to produce anymore.

KS32 for a 2g
KS28 for a 1g

Thanks for the info, makes sense. For what it's worth I haven't seen any difference since I started using one. Still behaves the same comparing logs, heard the same back from other Ecmlink users.
And sadly no, Mitsubishi doesn't seem to want to sell us anything :(. The discontinued list just keeps getting longer.
But how would you know?, and thats the real problem.

KS32 for a 2g
KS28 for a 1g
KS264 for an Evo

Last edited:
Are these considered OEM 2G equivalent?

Also, can anyone confirm the 3kgt uses the same knock sensor as a 2g?
The 3000gt uses a ks29 knock sensor, obviously not the same as a 2g, the ks32 is the 2g replacement. Many knock sensors will plug in on the 2g, the problem is that the 2g ecu software has filtering for a 2g knock sensor, not a 3000gt, not an Evo and not anything else, if you have a way to tweak the knock sensor filtering in your ecu and you know exactly what you are doing then I suppose that you could make other models work, otherwise I would leave it to a 2g only part number. Remember that the knock sensor is the single most powerful engine protection service that your ecu has to save your head and block from catastrophic damage, I can show you pictures of what happens when you pull a hill with a non working knock sensor. Like the truth or not, if one sensor would work on different models the factory and the aftermarket companies wouldn't make 3, 6, 10, or whatever amount of different models of knock sensor and stock all of those part numbers if they didn't have to, they are in business to make max profit and developing, testing and stocking multiple part numbers doesn't happen unless its necessary.

Last edited:
The O.P. has a 1998 GSX. So I simply went to RockAuto and entered a 1998 GSX. Simple. The link is the one that they have in stock and that fits his car specifically. :thumb:

And by the way, it is a Standard Motor Products. They produce OEM equivalent parts. I have a couple sensors that are that brand and they work just fine. :)

I wonder if we can just smother the back end with silicone or jb weld to stop the damn things from leaking. I just ordered one for the future since Mitsubishi doesn't give two shits about us.

Last edited:
Actually that would be a heck of a rebuild service if we knew specifically what the durometer of that black tar type vibration dampening material was, someone could offer a service of cleaning the knock sensor, repairing any chaffed wiring, replacing the black goo, bead blasting the outer metal case to clean it up, replace the factory connector and then test it and ship it back out for say $80 or so for a 1G sensor. We need to find a lab to test that material and tell us what exactly it is or find the original manufacturer of that sensor to find out what the spec for the material was, I can guess that its some type of petroleum based wax/tar type of substance, its not silicone based I know that.

But how would you know?, and thats the real problem.

KS32 for a 2g
KS28 for a 1g
KS264 for an Evo

We already argued over this didnt we?? I made a knock mic and confirmed that the difference is not a factor, if a difference even exists.

In my book, the evo8 knock sensor is OEM replacement for the discontinued 2g unit.

We already argued over this didnt we?? I made a knock mic and confirmed that the difference is not a factor, if a difference even exists.

In my book, the evo8 knock sensor is OEM replacement for the discontinued 2g unit.
Was I arguing with you? the two of us weren't having a disagreement last I checked and YOUR book really isn't what matters here, the ecu's programming is what matters, how do you think that your ears are good enough to determine the difference between knock sensors? you listening for knock with headphones or an amplifier does not qualify as good data on something like this, if you like it in your car that's just fine, but your spreading misinformation when you suggest that its a replacement for a different application, do you have tuned ears? just because you can hear knock with an Evo sensor does not mean that its in the same frequency range of the correct sensor, you cant make a blanket statement that the difference in part numbers is not a factor like that, you would need an oscilloscope and a dyno and a way to induce an exact level of knock to know that type of information, the manufacturer's make a different part number for the 2g for a reason, and thats the book that matters - the part number book in the parts store.:hellyeah:In any event its a moot point since the right sensor is available new from Standard Auto Parts.

Last edited:
[
Was I arguing with you? the two of us weren't having a disagreement last I checked and YOUR book really isn't what matters here, the ecu's programming is what matters, how do you think that your ears are good enough to determine the difference between knock sensors? you listening for knock with headphones or an amplifier does not qualify as good data on something like this, if you like it in your car that's just fine, but your spreading misinformation when you suggest that its a replacement for a different application, do you have tuned ears? just because you can hear knock with an Evo sensor does not mean that its in the same frequency range of the correct sensor, you cant make a blanket statement that the difference in part numbers is not a factor like that, you would need an oscilloscope and a dyno and a way to induce an exact level of knock to know that type of information, the manufacturer's make a different part number for the 2g for a reason, and thats the book that matters - the part number book in the parts store.:hellyeah:In any event its a moot point since the right sensor is available new from Standard Auto Parts.

wow- that was the biggest blah blah blah

Its not personal............... settle down hotrod.

Its clear by what youve said that you dont understand the knock mic. which is fine.

Except that I do hold a degree in electronics, so I do understand how every piece of electronics on a car works, and I'm not taking any of this as personal and I hope that you dont either, its not meant that way, I do have a matter of fact bedside manner that I can see might come off as rude sometimes when I go back and read what I have written and many times I go back and edit things to tame my response down some, that being said though I was brought up to never fear your own tongue and to speak up and be heard, understood and known and not to fence sit, in my house you spoke up for what you know to be the truth and thats the way I speak, my free time is limited and I need to get my point across as quickly as possible and its not always elegant, dont take it personal.
[

wow- that was the biggest blah blah blah

Its not personal............... settle down hotrod.

Its clear by what youve said that you dont understand the knock mic. which is fine.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back