The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Just Installed Timing Belt - Pulls to One Side!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tylerwal

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 18, 2003
Smithsburg, Maryland
Ok, I just installed a new factory timing belt, idler pulley, tension pulley, and tensioner...I also removed my balance shafts. I just started my timing belt couple minutes ago and the timing belt is being pulled to one side of the cam gears and it starts squeling because I believe it's rubbing against something (it's that far over). What could be causing this? I need help immediatly.

Make sure you use only factory idler pulley and tensioner pulley. After market don't work properly even though they look almost identical. Also compare your old ones to the new - even some factory ones were changed slightly even though they have the same counter part number (I found this out the hard way - the number markings on the pulleys are different though). Some pulleys have the center piece only part way through where the original better ones have it all the way through (which can cause the belt to shift).

I was thinking about the whole situation today at work, I'm almost positive I know what the problem is: I placed the tensioner pulley lip on the outside, where as I need to turn it around on the inside (towards the engine). This never occured to me while putting everything back together.

luv2rallye - I used all factory parts :thumb: It's just not worth it to go cheaper

Word of advice - if the engine is still in the car and you are removing the balance shafts, keep the front shaft in the car instead of dealing with the bearings. This added like 3-4 hours of time :(

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back