The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

je piston rings?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The NPR rings will not work on the JE pistons.

The ring pack is different on the JE from the stock pistons

NPR ring spec
1ST RINGS SIZE 1.20MM
2ND RINGS SIZE 1.20MM
OIL RINGS SIZE 3.00MM

JE ring spec JG1004-3445

Ring Kit - Top Thickness: 1.0mm
Ring Kit - Second Thickness 1.2mm
Ring Kit - Oil Thickness: 2.8mm

So you have no choice but to run the JE rings.

I cant find any on ebay and i dont know exactly what im looking for. can anyone give me a link

I figured it out i have just standard sized pistons. is it a must to bore your cylinders if you have one scratch going perfectly straight down one cylinder.

and if i do have to get new pistons could i just get one oversized piston. im not trying to cut corners its just information i would like to know if i have to make my cylinder bigger i will get them all done and get all new pistons

these rings also work, just ordered some from jackson

JAM Spec-Ultra' File-Fit Piston Rings
I dont think that those will work because my piston size is 87.5 mm

You could try to hone the scratch out if it's not very deep then you could use stock sized pistons, if it is too deep though it would require boreing it out and you would have to get the pistons to match how much it was bored. i.e. if it is bored .020 then you would have to get .020 oversized pistons.

You could always go to total seal and get a different set of rings as long as you have the ring specs, they can match it to your piston. But unless you doing some serious competition in your car, you aren't going to see a difference so IMO I would just stick with the JE's

If ii had that cylinder honed could i use just a little bigger sized rings? like on 302s and 289s you can use bigger piston rings with hones and if the hone is too big you bore it. Im hoping to just have it honed and use my standard sized piston because the machine shop said that they cant bore my block out but I know that they can hone it, and if i bore my block that means that i have to go clear up to rapid city in south dakota. so it is possible to get my cylinder honed and still use standard size pistons.

We can't answer that for you. It depends how deep it is. Take it to a shop and THEY will let you know what you need to do.

The machine shop here said that they couldnt even hone it... and i didnt mention anything about the scratch in the cylinders.

honing a cylinder and boring are two different things. honing more or less just scratches the cylinder into a pattern. if you can run your finger nail across the scratch and feels bad then it probably needs bored out but you need to go to a machine shop to know for sure. so to answer your question if you hone you can use standard size if you bore then you need bigger pistions.

The machine shop here said that they couldnt even hone it... and i didnt mention anything about the scratch in the cylinders.

what do you mean? they wont, cant or dont know how? i wouldnt go to a machine shop that cant do a simple hone job. you can actually do it yourself but you have to know how. can you post up pictures of your block? youtube honing and see what im talking about.

I looked up what honing is and stuff and its just one scratch that goes straight down the cylinder the rest of the block seems fine...

I went down stairs and looked at it, i think i just need to get a new short block and crank because i looked down one cylinder and that scratch is deep, and theres a bunch of small scratches like it was honed and stuff and my where my rods connect to my crank has scratches on it to. so i think it would be cheaper to just buy a new short block?

* I could not take a picture theres not enough lighting down stairs :(

And the machine shop probaly doesnt want to do it because its not a 302, 289, 305, or a 350..

yeah i had that issue in my town also with older muscle car guys not wanting to work on 4 bangers. well in your case it might be better to find another block. you can either bore it all out and they can cut your crank and polish for the scratches and buy new pistions. or find a cheap 420a block but that will still cost you 300-400 bucks plus machine shop cost. or stick with what you got and buy bigger pistions. how did your motor end up like this anyway? that and pictures would help alot.

I spun the rod bearing it it awhile ago and i took my rods to the machine shop and they said that my rods are fine. and in chamber 3 i was getting piston slap i think because of the piston rings which is why i was looking for piston rings. i was burning really bad oil but i think its because of my valve seals and i took that to a guy here in town that does lawn mower engines and he lapped and sealed my head so idk if that helped out with that issue or not but the machine shop said that i needed new studs for my end cap on my rods and that was it. i think i will look for a short block so i dont have to pay 500 for new pistons, and 120 for my crank to be fixed and 18 a hole for the bore plus gas to drive 200 miles just to get it done so i think it would be easier to cut my spenses that way. also my harmonic balencer bolt broke off in my crank shaft so i just need to find somebody with a shortblock that doesnt have anything wrong with it laying around. but right now i only have 8 bucks in my name have another job interview in town today so if you know anyone with a short block or if anyone wants to sell theres im sure i can drive where ever to pick it up.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back