The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

jdm transmission final drive

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

97redgsx

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 8, 2006
Medford, Massachusetts
can i use a jdm 2G tranny with a USDM 2g transfer case and rear diff? i found a JDM tranny for pretty cheap and i was wondering if there would be final drive issues, and if they were different if i could just swap some parts around from my old tranny to change the final drive(i am a decent mechanic, i am in an associates program now). or if i could locate a cheap JDM rear diff as the tranny im looking at has a transfere case included.... any thoughts? thanks!

it is a 95 and it doesn't give me very many details about it, all it says is "95-98 dsm awd 5-speed tranny"

edit* it also says "eclipse talon" so i guess its from an eclipse

Well, there's no JDM Eclipse or Talon, and there's no JDM transmission made from 95-98 that will fit your car. I would contact them and find out what vehicle it came from. Most likely it's from an Evo 3.

assuming that it is from an evo 3 what would the problems be at that point

**note** i will find out exactally what its from tommorrow when they open

ok i called the company they told me it was from an evo 3 and that he was "pretty sure" it will work for my car... he said others have bought it with no complaint...i still dont have a difinative answer please anybody who knows let me know i need my car back i am riding a f**&&% bike to work....

If it is an Evo 3 gearbox, then no, you cannot use it with the US rear diff.

To use it you have three options:

1. Pull the gearset out of the Evo gearbox and install it in an US gearbox,

2. Remove the Evo crownwheel and pinion and install the US crownwheel and pinion,

3. Install a JDM crownwheel and pinion in your rear diff.

My pick would be No.2, as the Evo ratios are quite short, and if you drag race your car you will run out of revs in fourth at about 112mph. Fitting the US diffs raises this to about 125mph. This is what I have done to my JDM VR4RS, (but I used early JDM VR4 diffs (same ratio as USDM.)) If it isn't an Evo 3 gearbox, but an earlier Evo, the same still applies.

IF it is an Evo 3 (gearbox and) transfer case, it is the same spline count and ratio as a 2g transfer case, if it an Evo 1 or 2 (OR 1991 VR4RS) (gearbox and) transfer case it will have the same ratio as a (23 spline) 1g transfer case.

There are 3.545 JDM gearboxes from around this period, but they were fitted the Lancer GSR, an 1800cc turbo, using the 4g93t engine. I don't have too much info on these models, but I gather the gearsets are not as strong as the Evo gearsets....diffs are okay, though.

Mike.

ok, my tranny kinda blew up... while i was in trird, so what are the chances that i will have the nessacery parts to transfere over into the JDM tranny???

not to bring up an old topic here but i have to LOL. i got a supposed jdm tranny, but i wanted to take it to a shop to make sure or have them change the crown wheel and pinion as stated above. they said they dont want to touch it and told me to find the serial number on it and call the dealer and give them my vin number and they'll tell me if the tranny is compatible. So say it isnt, where can i get the US crown wheel and pinion?

ok well i found the serial on the tranny and double checked on here and it is an evo 3 gearbox so i just i have to find the crown wheel and pinion somewhere. is that all i have to change to make it work properly with my US rear diff?

If you use the US front crownwheel and front output shaft, you can't use the Evo 3 transfer case, you need the 23 spline 1g manual transfer case. The Evo 3 is 23 spline BUT is a different ratio to the JDM VR4, and Evo 1 and 2. I believe it is the same ratio as an automatic transfer case.

I don't know what the shop is worried about, all they have to do is unbolt the crownwheel, bolt the US crownwheel on, and set the shim for the US front output shaft...pretty basic really.

ya thats what i said... i do have the t-case for the evo 3 tranny but i know that wont work. how about the t-case from my original tranny (regular 2g awd tranny)?? and if my original wont work and i do have to use a 1g tranny.. what about my rear end?

My sincere apologies, :coy: For some reason I thought you asking about fitting it to a 1g...looking at the Vfaq page it appears that as long as you are using a 2g front diff, you can use either the E3 or the 2g transfer case.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back