The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Is my temp sensor broken?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Backinajiffy12

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 31, 2008
Shakopee, Minnesota
Ok so i replaced my tstat today and my car is no longer overheating :thumb: . but not the gauge goes just a little above 1/4 the way up, but it does it like 10 or 15 min after driving. and the manual says to unplug the wire at the coolant temp sending unit. if the gauge reading drops the replace the sending unit. which mine does. so is it broken? or does it just drop?

Check your wiring, there could be broken strands on the wire, high resistance(corrosion= green/white fuzzy sh_t), or it could be pinched between something and making very little contact.
Best bet is to look how the temp sensor is setup..which is most likely a NTC thermistor. As temperature rises resistance of the sensor decreases. Hence why higher resistance would read lower temperature.
G'luck.

I'm saying this because it happened to me.

Did you check the t-stat in hot water before using it? I had 3 t-stats in a row stick open on me and it's for that very reason I only get OEM ones (dealer) from now on.

Just a thought for you and it takes 5minutes to check :)

If you do have to get another t-stat, save your money and just get a Stant 180 from Advance. I use them in both my DSMs and you can almost get 3 for the price you would pay for 1 at the dealership.

Tried to replace mine, but the sending unit broke off in the t-stat housing. No gauge. Would this have an effect on whether or not the radiator fan turn on. Now this in not the coolant temp sensor, but the sending unit for the dash gauge. From what I am under the impression, that all this sensor does is measure the heat from the motor and has nothing to do with anything else, right?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back