The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Is it worth getting a salvage car?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New_kid

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 12, 2012
Darien, Illinois
So i was thinking about buying a salvage evo from somwhere around me, is it worth it?

Could you be any more vague?

It may or may not be worth it.

Im a nitpicky bastard so its not worht it to me if the car has salvage or accidents

Hell no, those are terrible deals. Maybe if the price was cut in half, but for an extra 4-6 grand you can get a good condition one. Between what you would sink into it and the diminished value of having a salvage title you could have a clean one.

I dont no, it depends on the person. Me personally if I looked at a 1g dsm and it had a salvage title and drove fine, and I could afford it, id most likly buy it, cause to me a 1990-1991 dsm with pop-up head lights was my all time dream car and still is, ever since I seen one fixed up roll up into my dads shop one day I fell in love with it, its not where it is currenly, its what it has the potential to be,and when somthing breaks, it gives me somthing to do,i like wrenching on my car. If you dont plan on selling it, id say buy it if it looks, feels, and drives good to you.

It depends why it was salvaged and how much money you want to put in it. If its a daily driver. Or just even a project car. But me, I wouldn't do it. Salvage titles are not worth it if you need a dependable daily.

Buying a wrecked salvaged car will almost always be a waste of money. Depending on your state, you may have to have a "certified" shop do the repair work. In most states you MUST have some sort of certified safe inspection. Then you have the process of getting it registered. Insurance won't cover the car worth a crap and you end up spending as much money getting a car with a good title.

The ideal candidate for a salvage title to be rebuilt is a theft recovery car. In these cases. The car was stolen. The insurance paid out, then the car was later recovered. By this point the car has already had a salvage title, but is in perfect mechanical condition. However, even in this case. Selling the car will be a HUGE pain. I bought a Civic with a rebuilt title from a guy in PA. I registered it fine. I sold it to a guy in MD. He paid for it then drove off. Two weeks later his Moms called me and told me the car was stolen and they couldn't register it. She demanded her money back. I informed her that her son knew the car had a REBUILT title and that it has a past. From there it was her own problem.

That's such a bad deal. The first one has been sold. I bought a stock evo in good shape with a good title for less than they want for that wrecked second one. Those are crack prices.
If you're looking for a cheep evo buy one that has been parted. Then build it how you want it.

Last edited by a moderator:
you'll never get your money back out of it, not with the word "salvage" on the title. even if it was for something like water damage, if your going to keep the car forever.... might be worth your time, other wise, nope:nono:.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back