The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Another "Is this car worth it?" thread.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadly BlaZe

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 2, 2004
Alpharetta, Georgia
I know you guys are probably tired of threads like this but i need a new car badly and i need one in good running condition. So I test drove a 93 Talon TSi 5 speed today. The car ran great except for a few things.<p>The clutch was a pain. The pedal was really hard to press down and the gears wouldn't go in w/out a grind unless it was pressed all the way down. And also the clutch would engage only really close to the bottom.<p>The body paint is in kinda bad condition. It looks like the whole thing might need a repaint.<p>Air condition doesn't work.<p>I looked at the engine, and there is oil from where the valve cover sits on the engine and also oil on the left side of the engine.<p>Idle is bad, it revs up and down constantly except when the engine is cold.<p>I also saw some black dry oil on the top of the turbo, don't know if that's from the turbo or from somewhere else.<p> Everything else about the car is fine, the transmission, aside from the clutch, feels like it just came out of the factory. The car only has 90k miles on it. I offered the guy 1k for it and he said he'll take it. I'll have about $700 left over after that. what's your guys take on this? Any help would be appreciated.

PropXprt said:
Wave $700 in his face and then you'll have $1000 for all the basic maint. Would be nice to have another project car...
Yeah i'm thinking he'll be more tempted to sell it if he sees the cash in his face. The thing i'm mainly worried about is the oil on the side of the engine. I'm hoping it's just the valve cover needs tightening but i highly doubt that.

A valve cover gasket is pretty easy to change. That should take care of your oil issue, I mean it should be pretty obvious if the valve cover gasket is leaking. Every one of these cars I've owned had it leak at one time or another. Damn gasket cost like 30 or 40 dollars from AZ or AAP though. Good luck with whatever ya decide on.

Rob

do you really think it's just the valve cover gasket, i mean there is oil not just where the valve cover connects, but also all over the left side of the engine.

What do you mean by left side of the engine. Driver or passenger side. Anyway I really can't tell you for sure, I mean the o-ring on cas might be bad, and the oil seals on your cams might be bad. Just clean it up real good and try to find out where the leaks are coming from.

Good luck to ya

Rob

PropXprt said:
What do you mean by left side of the engine. Driver or passenger side. Anyway I really can't tell you for sure, I mean the o-ring on cas might be bad, and the oil seals on your cams might be bad. Just clean it up real good and try to find out where the leaks are coming from.

Good luck to ya

Rob

thanks ill be sure to do that.

Deadly BlaZe said:
i need a new car badly and i need one in good running condition.

I think you've established that the car isn't in very good condition, I wouldn't bother with it if you are actually looking for a car in "good running condition", if you are looking for a project car then go for it.

paranoidTSi said:
I think you've established that the car isn't in very good condition, I wouldn't bother with it if you are actually looking for a car in "good running condition", if you are looking for a project car then go for it.
well actually, the car is in good running condition, minus the clutch which i don't mind changing. But if it's bigger things with the engine like a headgasket, low compression or anything like that, i don't wanna bother with it. i dont mind fixing a couple things as long as it's not too expensive. Oh and when i say there's oil on the left side of the engine, i mean on the passenger side from where the valve cover sits, to the bottom.

Deadly BlaZe said:
well actually, the car is in good running condition, minus the clutch which i don't mind changing. But if it's bigger things with the engine like a headgasket, low compression or anything like that, i don't wanna bother with it. i dont mind fixing a couple things as long as it's not too expensive. Oh and when i say there's oil on the left side of the engine, i mean on the passenger side from where the valve cover sits, to the bottom.
As sated above, check the CAS o-ring, half moon gasket, and v/c gasket.
Mike

wolf20043 said:
As sated above, check the CAS o-ring, half moon gasket, and v/c gasket.
Mike
I'll check it all out this saturday, hopefully it is just a v/c gasket. The car runs so nice though, i don't think i've ever driven a 5 speed with such a smooth tranmission.

Adjust the clutch pedal. It should help with the grinds and the engagement. The clutch itself is probably ok unless its slipping.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back