The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

Is 400 hp too much for a dd?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakelandry

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 13, 2009
Minden, Louisiana
Hey everyone, as the title states ive come across a car thats fully built and makes about 400 hp on one tune which will be the one i run. The car actually went 11.3@128 on an e85 tune but the guy said the transmission gave out at that level and he made a 93 tune that puts down around 400 hp. Here is just the motor work..

ENGINE (top to bottom)
7 bolt head with 6 bolt bottom end, the block is drilled out for the 7 bolt front case and oil pump, so it still uses the crank angle sensor
rebuilt head
new valves, manley valve springs and titanuim retainers
revised lifters
webcam 272 camshafts (good for higher rpm) w/ AEM cam gears
ARP 10mm allen style head bolts
accel plug wires
cometic head gasket
block bored over .020
manley pistons 8.5:1 compression
eagle rods and arp bolts
all new bearings and seals
fidanza aluminum flywheel
Thermal R&D 3" turbo back exhaust straight all the way out the back with only a couple small bends
the launch control is setup with anti-lag and it sounds evil when hitting the 2 step
the exhaust has a quiet muffler on it that sounds amazing

TURBO
FP HTA GT3582R turbo with 3" v-band outlet
autometer 30psi boost gauge
DNP turbo manifold
Tial wastegate
stainless oil lines
STM 4" intake kit
hallman pro boost controller
greddy bov
big front mount, still has bumper reinforcement in place

My question is would it be a bad idea to drive the car 70-100 miles a day? I know most of those parts are not commonly found on dd's but the 93 tune is only running 20 psi. Before everyone goes on here and thinks im some punk kid who doesnt have any need to go out and buy an 11 second car, your right i dont NEED it. But im not some punk kid thats going to rag the car out, change the oil @ 5000, ignore maintenence, never wash the car, not research every single part on the car, or treat the car in any bad manner. I treat my cars right and i take care of them. The reason i want such a fast dd is because my parents will only let me have one car at a time. So until i get out of college in 3-4 years this will be my dd provided that you guys dont think im a moron for blowing every dollar ive saved for 2 years on a car thats not good to drive that far daily.

Well as long as you wash your car, you should be fine... :tease:

things WILL break, things always break.. I say "Cross that bridge when you get to it" and enjoy the ride! :dsm: :rocks:

Washing your car takes care of the clear coat which in turn takes care of the body. Not trying to be a smartass or anything im just saying the clear is thin on these cars and keeping them clean and buffed protects them.

yeeeah those guys are many $$$'s more expensive than Dogbox for the same exact product(s)/level of service on any given "stage" of tranny and he runs more pricing deals AND he's on the east coast.

TONS saved in shipping let alone face price...for me.

Thats why. Boosh.

yeeeah those guys are many $$$'s more expensive than Dogbox for the same product(s) and he runs more pricing deals

Thats why.

Yes but they also don't shot peen their gears and other parts. I asked them about it and they said that it doesn't help at all which is bull. Give John at TRE a call and ask him about shot peening or read about it. When they said it doesn't strengthen the gears, I stopped looking into their transmissions right then.

And pricing? I got my TRE stage 3 shipped to my house without sending him a core for 2300. So that includes a 300 core charge so I really got my tranny for 2k. Looks to be close to the same price as dogbox and thats with shipping

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Never been to a track, never dynoed, and you were right around 500....

Haha, I forgot to add it was ECMLink estimate. It's not a verified number, I know, it's just what I was around assumed by the inputs through link which it spat out at me.

Once I dyno I'll post the true numbers. If you haven't read the threads, ECMLinks estimate is usually right around a dynos number depending on the settings and the road as well as it was tested a a few times.

So if you would like a cookie I can ship one out to you :p

Haha, I forgot to add it was ECMLink estimate. It's not a verified number, I know, it's just what I was around assumed by the inputs through link which it spat out at me.

Once I dyno I'll post the true numbers. If you haven't read the threads, ECMLinks estimate is usually right around a dynos number depending on the settings and the road as well as it was tested a a few times.

I got my thin mints today. Im in a better mood now. Thanks for the offer. :thumb:

Hasnt that estimate been proven to be pretty damn close?

my car is currently tuned like complete ass after a fresh build, but is still easily around 470whp and after a tune will be well into the 500+ area and will drive a lot better than it does now and I still daily drive it.

It's about if it's built right and tuned right. Even half-tuned for my old setup, right now my car runs good enough to daily drive.

It's way more solid and better driving than half of the 12 sec and slower DSM's out there.

Hasnt that estimate been proven to be pretty damn close?

Yes and that's assuming that the settings are correct for gearing, weight, inputs, etc.

Also remember if the estimate is taken going down hill it will be higher. Up hill will be lower so you cannot rely on it for anything other than an estimate.

When the test was done, the inputs for Link were correct and on a level ground. It was off by at most 10hp.

Oh Vette, I still have Samoas mmm.

Well I'm shootin for 500+ horsepower on my current build and it will be my daily too but then again I'm taking my time and building it right . I think you'll be fine as long as its built right .

I'm shooting for 350-400 WHP for my car, well I don't drive my car everyday because I have a company car :D

just for future purposes if you wanted a more streetable turbo you would be able to sell your gt35 and go with a holset, fp green, 20g, or BW setup that would net you the 400 much easier and more for everyday useage. Probably a better power curve for a DD. I just got my fp green yesterday and am going with the same goal as you. A fast reliable DD with no corners cut.

Shoot, there's people down here with 600whp+ DSM's that do indeed DD their car. I'm going for 550-600 on mine. Won't be technically Daily'd but will be on the road.. a lot.

I'd be more concerned with why the car is being sold than 400hp being too much for a daily driver. why would the previous owner invest so much in the car, get it running perfectly (not just his sales pitch of runs perfect), then dump it..?

Good for you two but I'm not planning on setting any records with an 18 year old car or paying a premium for that ability.
:tease:

Goodluck explaining why you deserve more money for it when ready to sell a tweaked 18 + year old import.

Dude for the price that Dogbox is selling their stage 3 for, you can get a TRE for the same. Your acting like Dogbox is so much cheaper andGo ahead and get the Dogbox and then make so to tell us how it goes.

And im not aiming for any records either but why not have a tranny that is proven to set records.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back