The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

IPT torque converter

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiceRocket18

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 6, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
i think it's about time for me to get a better torque converter from IPT. i was looking on john's site, they have the regular high stall TC for $399 and a billet built TC for $1000 bucks. question is, will it make THAT much difference between the two? should i just get the $399 one?

current mods:
HKS super mega flow filter
Dejon 2.75" intake pipe
2.5" downpipe
2.5" exaust
UICP
type-s
running 17PSI due to the creep

I think you have some more mods to do before thinking about doing the Torque converter. At the stage your at now the "off the shelf" $399 TC would be fine. The custom TC is for folks that have started making ALOT more power and torque and have Dyno'ed the car to give the power numbers to John so he can custom build the TC for that car's powerband.

For now, if you haven't already done so, get the "shift kit" for the valve body and the "Alto end clutch kit" and have a respected trans shop install that stuff for you. You will feel a difference right away, in how the trans shifts.

A restalled one can still be in a general range. Peak torque is usually 2/3 the max power for your setup.

RiceRocket18 said:
i think it's about time for me to get a better torque converter from IPT. i was looking on john's site, they have the regular high stall TC for $399 and a billet built TC for $1000 bucks. question is, will it make THAT much difference between the two? should i just get the $399 one?

current mods:
HKS super mega flow filter
Dejon 2.75" intake pipe
2.5" downpipe
2.5" exaust
UICP
type-s
running 17PSI due to the creep

It sounds like the Billet Converter would be a bit overkill for your application.

The High Stall Converter should yield a significant improvement in the performance of your vehicle with your current mods.

I also strongly recommend the TransLab Shift Kit for your vehicle.

-John

thanks john! :) i am gonna order one along with the shift kit and end clutch. soon as i pay off my current debt. :D snowball's getting bigger and bigger everyday. :laugh:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back