The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Intercooler upgrade to supra/r34 core and 57 trim BB conversion **completed**

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turboglenn

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 5, 2007
RIpley, West_Virginia
well, In my recent trade one thing i got that really caught my eye was a massive intercooler (at least compared to the 18 x 6 x 3" spearco core i've been running)

This one is mean and sold i kits for both the R34 skyline and the 87-92 supra, flowing 1950CFM with less than 1psi pressure drop (claimed by greddyt anyway) and the kits retail at over 2200 bucks a piece, so i think i got a good deal for trading my t67, a BOV,and some doo-dads here and there along with some labor give away

The only challenge i'm having is finding a way to mount it, there's gonna be a lot of gutting and cutting compared to what it took to mount the old unit which was a vrey widely used piece on GN's, Rx-7's. mustang SVO's and the like back in it's day and i've personally seen a GN put out damn near 700whp through it, the gore is quality for sure!!!

will be for sale with mounts and all if anyone is interested.

If anyone has pics of how they've mounted similar cores and still supported the hood latch please post em up for me!!!!!!!!!

I think i may have to cut the 90* outlet off and re-weld it on at a different angle to make things work but hell for me that's a walk in thepark.

I'm not putting on the holset yet but rather sticking a t31 stage III turbine and a garrett 57 trim wheel in an E housing onto the BB CHRA (yea, I know it's not direct fit andthe proper machining has been done and they all interchange now :D )

I will miss the massive inducer and cool polished cover of the 67mm unit, but once the holset is on and sporting either the 58 or 60mm wheel with MWE grooved housing (real grooves, housing and wheel available through a dodge performance site to fi the h1c as "bolt on")

tell me what ya think, and hints on mounting methods some of you have used would be great.. I Will NOT go to hood pics, that is too fast and furry for me LOL

****See latest post for pics and story

Attachments

• IMAG0578.jpg
    IMAG0578.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 80
  • IMAG0579.jpg
    IMAG0579.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
cut that elbow off that intercooler and mount it like you did the first one. With that short of a route it should help you build boost faster.

Thats, exactly what i did, I cut it off at a 90* angle to the core, then cut the majority of the cast "elbow' out of it, gave it some love taps with a brass hammer, then ported both the outlet i had left and the end tank, then after a half hour of soaking in my favorite cleaners and then flooding it out untill i couldn't find a single aluminum shaving i'm ready ro scuff it up and weld it on.

I've got the mounting system figured out too so that's helping a lot and should work really nicewhile retaining about 70% of the front crash beam :D

All that's left is to tighten the compressor housing in it's final clocked position, tighten the manifold tohead bolts, install wastegate andbutton up the intercooler piping (which all the last stuff i used still fits :D)

along with welding up the end tank, cuttingthe bumper and the mount welding thisis maybe 2 - 2.5 hours worth of workleft and i can go play :D

Also, no more 67mm turbo, playing with a ball bearing 57 trim (got a new wheel too from those who saw m last one LOL ) if i can keep it from surging it should be a spool monster, if it does surge i'll put the 50 trim housing and wheel on being it's a lto more friendly in that manner

(another nice thing is i finally have a big enough core to cut the black part out of the upper part of the bumper's opening :D)

those sparkles in the core are where i cleaned the tops of the rough casting imperfections, trust me i wouldn't leave shavings that big in here LOL )

Attachments

• IMAG0580.jpg
    IMAG0580.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 66
  • IMAG0581.jpg
    IMAG0581.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 65
  • IMAG0582.jpg
    IMAG0582.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 67
Last edited by a moderator:
Lose the hood latch and get some aerocatch plus flush hood latches, and don't forget some ducting so airflow doesn't bypass the radiator.

Why would you want to mount so high you lose the latch?!

Bottom it on the front lip opening, secure it, and rip away what you need to on the foam. Air dam it and mount a bit lower so you get some top flow to the radiator.... It doesn't need to make a nuisance of itself. I have seen a core just like that mounted on an SRT4, and it didn't require new hood latches, or loss of STEEL up front.

my hood latch is fine, even kept the entire supprt, the front bumper upper part will need some modding though

my hood latch is fine, even kept the entire supprt, the front bumper upper part will need some modding though

That's what I figured. You should be able.to mount a MASSIVE IC up front without interfering with the hood latch. That's good size, but not huge.

Glenn, do you think the flow pattern on that spreads enough to be as efficient as a blow thru? I have looked at one like that before and thought it would just heat the s*!* out of the inlet side and leave the rest stagnant... Which sucks, because it is shorter. Could you post IAT's afterwards? I am curious.

I will post IAT's and have before logs on same turbo to compare to, everything i read about it before agreeing to trade my griffin/spearco 18 x 6 x 3 core and BOV for this piece said it was a great peice and flowed 1950cfm or over 1000hp with only 1 psu pressure drop,but that's all hear say.. i'll get logs for definite results.
This core is 2200+ dollars in the kit it comes in (look up greddy trust 87-92 supra front mount)
and it well build i can say that for sure

but i'm off to weld up the outlet and make the mounts before it gets too late, i had to come in for medicine and rest from the pain so i was posting :D

I have no doubt it's a quality piece. That same type is used on some real wheel twisters near here, so I'm sure it can do the job. It's just that looking at it, common sense says shortest path of least resistance, so I am really interested to see of that is the case or not. I figured you'd have info from prior, so this should be a good evaluation.

figured everything out, welding up 3 tabs on the core, already cut the bumper supprt and will still function, only things left now are to tighten 2 more bolts on compressor cover, mount the cooler by it's new tabs and hang the cover and support for the bumper :D Oh and I have to bolt the wastegate to the manifold and put an air filter/intake on it (luckily i have one from last time i ran the 57 trim :D

Here's some pics, I can't decide if i should weaken the bumper to show off more of the core by cutting some front off the support or not..safety tells me no, ricers friends will say yes, what's the DSM'er consensous?
Pay no mind to the two mounting tab looking pieces in pic #2... Those wre just an idea, What I'll be doing is mounting it like my old one to the radiator tie bar and lower bar area, thento keep it from movingback and forth at all I'm gonna run one of the brackets like in pic # 2 and drill and tap it into the plastic just for extra resistance to movement :D

SHe's gonne talke me to the store for smokes eventually tonight, I just wish i had a better tune on these 1600, I litterally pulled 30% globally, then while driving in the snow did some fine tuning toa few cells and the air temp correction map

The ONLY thing that's got me pissed off is that the ONE bolt that holds the support for the hood latch to the lower tie bar on the radiator support, it snapped off in the tie bar :( I'd just MIG it instead but i am in pain and don't feel like moving the tank and MIG over to the car and can't get the car over to the MIG... so drill and tap it is

I have no doubt it's a quality piece. That same type is used on some real wheel twisters near here, so I'm sure it can do the job. It's just that looking at it, common sense says shortest path of least resistance, so I am really interested to see of that is the case or not. I figured you'd have info from prior, so this should be a good evaluation.

As fpr this part of things, the cooler coming off is of similar design and was the standard among GN, RX-7, SVO and many other turbo car guys back 10 years ago, the slant to the tankshelped get even transfer and to be honest i've had great resilts with it and since this core is built the same i have no doubt it will be great at it's job....

Top to bottom or vertical flow versus horizontal flow has shown in many tests to be the better cooling setup in many cases, but all i all some 30psi pulls and IAT logs compared to the same pulls on the old FMIC will be the true test :D

__________________________UPDATE ** Install and 57trim ball bearing conversion complete**____

Since this will auto merge i added a border above LOL

Anyway, from the recent trade that gained me a holset, supra FMIC (greddy brand) a journal bearing t-netics 50 trim and some 1600's in swap for a journal bearing converted PTE6776 turbo, my old FMIC and old BOV

well while ordering parts for the JB conversion and to rebuild the 50 trim I got a new 57 trim To4e wheel and some other parts and tonight spent all night installing them (abou to go to bed)

I placed a t31 Stage III turbine (machined to PTE BB CHRA specs - been running this wheel over 150 miles and its proven reliable inthe conversion) well today i swapped out the 67mm wheel in trade for the new 57 trim and going back to the t04e cover from the to4s (not as nice looking under the hood but the trade was what it was and i'm pleased)

I figured since i had the IC pipes off andsome other parts to get the turbo out to convert and check it i would go ahrad and put in the new 31 x 10.5 x 3" FMIC ..

above i've documented here and there as i took breaks but here's the final pics, one questions.. should i cut the bumper support and the black under the plate in the top of the FMIC opoening to show more of the core? there's a lot left that "could" be seen if i chose to

I just took a check over drive around the block and spool is fast, but nothing was tested to the degree to see how happy i'm ognna be with a 57 trim in BB CHRA (although it is spooling FAST even in 1stgear - which is the only gear i stepped on it in up to 4500 RPM)

IAT logs and general impressions to come today and a holset install to come in a month or less :D (waiting on a big holsete wheel :D )

here's da pics

Attachments

• IMAG0585.jpg
    IMAG0585.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 65
  • IMAG0584.jpg
    IMAG0584.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 54
  • IMAG0593.jpg
    IMAG0593.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 60
  • IMAG0592.jpg
    IMAG0592.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 58
  • IMAG0591.jpg
    IMAG0591.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 59
  • IMAG0590.jpg
    IMAG0590.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 63
  • IMAG0589.jpg
    IMAG0589.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMAG0588.jpg
    IMAG0588.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 51
Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think I would cut away much, but I would probably trim the back of that beam off, air dam it so the whole core is getting some air passing thru it, and stick a piece of 1/4" plate or a piece of sched. 40 steel pipe cut in half across the front of the weakened section. You know the less meat there is in the front member, the more slop you'll get across the towers. More function over form. Sure, you'll see a tad more of it, but the real point is getting the air in and around the entire core. Looks good. :thumb:

well, i left the setup just as picured here and did some testing tonight. The 57 trim in the ball bearing CHRA surges like a bi*** from 4k rpm to about 5k rpm at ranges of 22psi and above, but once i get past those RPM's or keep theboost lower untill past 5k RPM it pulls wickedly...previousely on jounal bearing 57 ttrim setup all else being the same (except thenew FMIC) i was making 20psi or so in 3rd by 4k RPM and 24 by 4200 RPM, now i can have it in the 25-28psi range by 4200 RPM (but surging,) the surge i can deal with in the cam's, i've got a lot of overlap dialed in and that's killing the total air intake from exhaust packpressure and the spoilin of the charge in the cylinder. So, like i fixed it before with soe cam timing )only it was way less severe before) I"ll do the same later tonight and test tomorrow

As for the new FMIC, i couldn't be happier..after repeated 1-3rd pulls at 25 - 28psi ranges the old cooler would have me sitting in peal airflow temps of 120* F or so, or on a cold day like today it may be only 85* F//

Well the new FMIC with run after run the most i saw was 4* above ambient at the TB... :D that's frickin awesom, I was always jealouse of my friends WRX because he was getting the same results when logging his through the same type of IAT sensor in the same rough location (but he had a huge core too) well, now i can say i'm pleased with my intercooler to where i don't think i'll be worrying about an upgrade for a long time as long as it flows what is says it does which is over twice the amount of power i'm aiming for anyway.

As for the surging, If i can't fix it via tuning and cam timing i MIGHT swap it over to a to4e 50 trim wheel and housing since they have a lot better map as far as surgeline placement, but really i'm just waiting on the holset to be built and put on

I think I decided to go with the 8 blade 60mm hx40 wheel, 60 lb/nm rating is exactly what i want and the better spooling is worth the trade off in overall air flow since i only want 500 - 550WHP anyway. I just hopoe the spool times i've read about are the ones i can obtain with my machined housing and overall setup. once that's all done I mght search for a 60-1 wheel and stuff that in an t04e housing for the BB CHRA

who knows, i just know i want holset power baby!!!!!!!!!!!! and the sooner the better

Also, still looking for a single 272 intake cam which i think would help a lot both with surging on this 57 trim BB and overall power on the h1c 8 blade 60mm setup

___________________________update as of thursday morning Jan 26th_________

No longer to I regret and or miss the 67mm turbo, Last night after the massive surgin issues i degreed the cams to allow for more fresh air intake (+4* on exh and -3* on int.) and this morning on ht eway to get some smokes just now, holy shat!!!!! No surge at all and at 30psi the 57 is hitting like a EVO3 16g, it;s oretty much instant with no lag to even measure, But the best part is that due to the quicker spool, widened powerband and great tirque increase from not only going smaller on the turbo but making the 57 trim ball bearing this thing is nuts,, before i can even pay attention to boost the wastegate is open, the car is going sideways in 1st and 2nd gear even granny shifting between them and when i can see the gauge i'm seeing roughly 30psi, and my timing is even LOW from the larger turbo and me being in the "learning stages" of extracting all it was worth and it's airflow at similar PR's

This thing is nuts, I only hope the holset is near as fun as this is (and hopefully more) or i might just have to put a 60 trim t04e wheel in this combo :D

I cannot wait to get out and really play a little, all i got to do this morning was to step into 1st and 2nd during getting out into the street when tjere were no pother cars around ..whew..gotta calm down, take ,y meds amnd rest

**sorry for bad grammar, I have yet to take my nerve meds that keep my hands half way steady, I actually keep this disclaimer in notepad to cut and paste so that it's ledgible**

Last edited:
LOL

Dammit Glenn, all my money is locked up in other vehicles right now and you just made me all itchy to get a new turbo. That sounds awesome man! I just hope my choked 20g (7cm hotside on td05h turbine) will kick off like that. I'm not trying to drag race it at 7k, just hard power down low, and that sounds like what you just installed. :D

I like it. Pretty freakin cool!
What nerve meds do they have you on? If you remember way back when you did your chronic pain post on here I suffer chronic as well. Not surprising after 2 broken necks, 35 broken bones, a 13 day long coma, a 3 day coma and over 600 stitches. Some days are good. Some are real bad. Yesterday was a bad day. Today pretty good. I swear the build on my Talon to GSX swap took about 3 times as long as I thought it would. That whole working on it for a day then not bein able to move for 5 days thing really slowed things down. So props to you man for forging ahead!

LOL

Dammit Glenn, all my money is locked up in other vehicles right now and you just made me all itchy to get a new turbo. That sounds awesome man! I just hope my choked 20g (7cm hotside on td05h turbine) will kick off like that. I'm not trying to drag race it at 7k, just hard power down low, and that sounds like what you just installed. :D

haha, I know what ya mean, I didn't actually have "cash" to get/perform these upgrades, it was just like my AWD swap where i had things some one wanted and they had just what i had been after and we were both willing to let go of eah other's "desired parts package" LOL

to be honest with you before this deal fell into place I bought a 16g core that i was hoping to make a bastard 20g from since i was havingthe itch to go back to something that spooled before 5500+ RPM and ddn'tn need boosts beyond 35 to be in it's efficiency range.

In my latest trade i swapped my FMIC, BOV, and PTE6776 (in journal bearing form) and got the big supra/skyline FMIC, a t-netics to4e 50 trimthat needed a rebuild kit put in it (already did iwht 360* thrust too :D ), I got the tiny H1c with a 50mm inducer but an exhaust housing large enough to store laundry in LOL and the bosch 1600cc injectors (the guy really wanted a 700+hp capable turbo and gets tons of parts buying part outs from people that must smoke crack fo r what he pays for the pieces LOL)

I was a tad wrong, the 57 still surges BAD if i don't just rip into it full throttle fro first and second gears.. Those two roll through the surge point too fast and in first with too little load to cause the surge/boost to build and in second and as long as i catch third nd stay WOT i'm o, but if i roll into third below 4500RPM and then try and lay into it it will surge till i let off and being that the compressor and turbine wheels are brand new (couldn't find em used and had a change jar for the comp wheel going for a year at least LOL)

after the swap i sold the rebuilt 16g (didn't proffit much, but put money inot it little bits at a time and got it back all at once ), sold my 1000cc injectors and sold my slicks/rims whch helped me pay a bill, order my 58mm 8 blade compressor wheel and MWE (or ricer termed anti surge ported housing) for the h1c making it in effect an hx35/40 hybrid but without cooling lines (machined a spare t3 exhausst housing i had to hold the turbine and mount to my maifold for free)

I'm sitting on 3 turbos right now, DBB 57 trim, JB 50 trim (both to4e) and my holset i'm building, I want to sell one of them to invest some money towards either a boll or a clutch LOL (plus i'd like to sell the 1600's and get 1450's as well as swapping out my 264 intake cam for another 272 for a matching pair)

I like it. Pretty freakin cool!
What nerve meds do they have you on? If you remember way back when you did your chronic pain post on here I suffer chronic as well. Not surprising after 2 broken necks, 35 broken bones, a 13 day long coma, a 3 day coma and over 600 stitches. Some days are good. Some are real bad. Yesterday was a bad day. Today pretty good. I swear the build on my Talon to GSX swap took about 3 times as long as I thought it would. That whole working on it for a day then not bein able to move for 5 days thing really slowed things down. So props to you man for forging ahead!

one i can'tt pronounce and only afford about every other or third month, then i get valium, and th mix of oxycodones and other things to try and keep the straigh opiate intake down (i got a pill stash to make elvis jealouse LOL )

I know what ya mean to, one day of working on the car = 2-3 days recovery time, then you gotta work in there some where too LOL

I'm just sitting around now trying to decide on a finalized oil feed for the holset (the diesel shop, holset manual and the actual flare fiting that go into it stock are all recomending a line that's 3/8ths' ID (a.k.a. -6AN) but said I'd be fine with 4 both form results here and the diesel tech who sold me my wheel and housing upgrades, now i just need to decide which of the 15 and some odd ways i've come up with to actually use :p

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back