The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Installed twin disc now noise when clutch is engaged.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stew Pidaso

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 25, 2012
Canton, Ohio
Well you read the title. I just installed an act twin disc and when I push the clutch in right when the throwout bearing is engaging the fingers I'm getting a rubbing noise. It looks like the inside of the throwout bearing is coming in contact with the outside of the splines of the top disc (you can see the wear on the disc). It just seems like the throwout bearing is going in too far but how can you bring it out? Shim the fulcrum? I'm gonna call act ASAP mon but I thought I'd check and see if anyone on here could point me in the right direction first.

Attachments

• photo1.jpeg
    photo1.jpeg
    47.3 KB · Views: 742
Pedal stop or readjust your master. Its pretty common to have noisy twins.

Well I did what act's manual said which is to move the clutch rod all the way Down until you can't anymore and tighten the jam nut but they say if you have clutch drag which it did real bad then adjust it out a turn until you don't have drag anymore but when I adjust it out to where there's no more drag then I have the noise again so I'm at a loss for what to do.

You may be pushing on the fingers too much
Do you have an OEM slave or an Isuzu?
+1 for putting a pedal stop in - get the car off the floor and have it stop after the clutch is engaged enough, not too much extra

Well like I said I could get rid of the noise by making it so there's no pedal movement via the master rod and I don't understand how you can get chatter while not under load?

Yeah I wish it was a wet clutch. And I'm not trying to contradict you but that just doesn't seem like the noise. It's a rubbing. Not a chatter noise

The rubbing and the wear on the disk is from overextending. The clattering noise when it's released is normal. If it drags when you release it, there's something wrong.

EDIT: Although I don't really understand how the release bearing could touch the hub in that area; I would expect the hole in the center to be bigger than that.

EDIT EDIT: Wrong step height or backwards disks maybe?

Well I wondered if the discs were backwards but they're not because I could see the top disc and it says top this side up but the step height is .60. And yeah I would think too that the tob wouldn't be able to go to that point on the disc but that od is the same as the input sleeve it rides on so I guess it's possible. Like I said I could get the noise to stop but then there's drag. I can get the drag to stop but then it rubs. I've never got the chattering but I've also never had it under load. All of this has been on jack stands.

Like I said all components were brand new. That may not have been clear though sorry

Well I don't know if your's is like most twins, but most of them have the center steel plate completely free floating. I have seen pictures of ACTs with little straps that bolt to that plate, but I don't know if yours is like that. With the free floating ones, the center plate is free to rattle around inside the clutch cover when released. It doesn't happen under load, it happens anytime you push the pedal down and fully release the clutch while the engine is spinning. That's the "chatter" everyone is referring to. Not really a chatter, but a rattle.

My clutch does it, and I hate it. I even get snide little sideways compliments about how "good" my car sounds.

This mustang application for instance has little straps. Quiet maybe?
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Well do you think it looks normal on that hub to have that ring around it like it is. Yes it does have a floater plate. I guess I just need to listen to it closer to see if its like a rattling noise more than a rubbing like I thought

Yeah mine doesn't have those straps. What kind of clutch do you have? Those comments would piss me off too haha

It's great, but it jangles when you disengage it, during cold engagement (in the morning) it howls like a wookie, and when it's idling with my cams it sounds like a rod knock a little bit.

Pros: It engages smooth as butter (not like an on off switch at all), it holds more power than I can throw at it, so far has outlasted two six pucks, and has light pedal pressure.

My ACT twin doesn't have those "straps" either. I can tell you when I first heard the noise I thought it was my TOB and had the trans back off same day. I put my old TOB in just to test it out and got the same noise, I drove it for a day before I took it back off. Couldn't find anything wrong or out of the ordinary so I put it back together with my new TOB. The more you hear it, the more you get used to it as just "twin disk noise." It isn't loud enough to distract you from other noises that might arise later.

I was a little freaked out by it too; especially since I was driving it to the shootout in a few hours. A quick call to Clutchmasters put my mind somewhat at ease. Now that I've been to two shootouts with the same clutch, and can't see any reason it won't make it to a third, I don't mind the noise so much. I was going through a 6 puck single disk every year.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back