The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Rattling noise when clutch is not engaged

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

***** UPDATE *****

i found the problem (finally)

after wasting a lot of time with work i finally got around to working on my car.

Heres the deallio,
Everything with the clutch is fine, my problem was with the flywheel. The alignment pin came out and was rolling around in there, but thats isnt the worst part. My flywheel bolts were ALL loose.

Cause/Solution...
When i put the engine back in the first time, I didnt use new flywheel bolts (BIG MISTAKE on my part, I didnt know about that rule! ). I dont know if the bolts came loose first or the alignment pin came out, but either way i'm glad I didnt drive it any more. I had locktite on the bolts but it didnt matter, i think i streached them the first time and when they went back on they didnt hold.

WORD TO THE WISE, make sure you get new flywheel bolts, DONT skimp on this step.

Im not so sure about pressure plate bolts, i didnt replace those (looking back on it I probably should have). Although i doubt its a big deal since you only torque them down to about 24 ft/lbs or so.

I'll post this in the classifieds soon.... hopefully with pics
Since i thought it would be my clutch i went ahead and bought a new act 2600, which means I will be selling my act 2100 with only 3k miles on it. If you need an act 2100 pressure plate and disk I have them for sale, and a 6-bolt flywheel which was resurfaced at the time of the clutch install. This clutch was used for breaking in my engine, and after that was only launched twice. They are still in good condition!

GSXlaunch said:
I am having the same problem...not sure about the rattleing noise but the chatter is there almost like a grinding sound kinda like ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch coming right fromt the tranny/clutch area. It goes away completely once the clutch gets in about half way. The only difference with mine is that I have not even driven it. The car is still on jack stands from the act 2600 w/ street disc and fidanza flywheel install. Did you guys that are having the chatter have it as soon as the clutch was installed? My thinking is that the clutch is not completely disengaging or the clutch needs to "break in" with some driving. The master cylinder rod may need to come out a bit as well.

its a act 2600 right? a friend of mine had the same clutch put in and it wouldnt totaly disengauge so we put a longer rod in the salve cylinder and it seemed to fix the probelm

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back