The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Ingition Issue? Car runs fine, then sputters randomly.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clipsoe

Proven Member
Apr 22, 2015
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
I have a 97 2G Stock with hard piping and full exhaust. First what i have already changed. Alternator and 4 pin plug (Previous one was melted) Coil packs, plug wires, NGK plugs, throttle body gaskets, valve cover gasket. The problem I have is extremely rough start, after warm up it runs a little better. While driving if say I am in 5th gear on the highway cruising the car will start to sputter as if the plug wires were bad, but if I take it outta gear and let the rpms drop to 1000 then put it back in gear it runs fine again for a little. Also if I have my foot on the gas and just cruising at random times it'll feel like I turned the ac on briefly then turned it back off, so its a slight loss of power, but noticeable and random. At one point when I first got the car the ground strap in the ecu shorted, I fixed it, and all seemed well or a while, then this started happening a little while later. Not sure if its related and maybe I have a bad ecu. Currently the car runs considerably hot, but seems normal on the temp gauge. However, havent been able to go WOT since I got the car, completely breaks up. Any ideas, having a feeling I may have multiple problems.

I have had some issues like that and a couple of things I found were some of the causes. Check ur sparkplugs for proper gap and hopefully they r not fouled (running rich). I saw u said u replaced them but did u get the right ones? May just need a tune up. Did u replace ur fuel filter, fpr, hoses? Sometimes the simplest things that can fix ur issues can be overlooked.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back