The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Im gonna stroke it

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dj-t

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Sacramento, California
Well got some unwanted windows in the block . Luckily a buddy has another 4g63 just sitting around that i can use in the meantime.

So, went to the local yard and pulled me out a 4g64 out of a 95 galant and a 1g head out of a 90 talon. After researching threads about this engine combo I decided to go for it. I'm trying to shoot for a 400awhp goal. Parts planned to purchase:

Eagle rods
Wiseco pistons
MLS head gasket
ARP head bolts or their L19 bolts
News bearings
280 or 272 cams (not sure what brand)
Ugrade valve springs
All new gaskets

But still have some question about some of the parts.

1. Can I install the wiseco on the factory rods?
2. Is the ARP L19 head bolts really worth it or the regular ARP will do just fine?
3. Saw Supertech dual valve spring kit at Extreme PSI website, will that be ok for the cams I have plan?
4. How much hp can the the block take?

All this will probably going to take a year or so to get all the parts and assemble it but I want to take my time and do it right the first time. If anyone have any suggestion or advice please share.

Now here are some pics of the window. As for the piston it was all in little peaces in the pan stuck between the valve and seat and inside the intake manifold. The starter got destroyed by the shrapnel's from the block. I the starter was not there the shrapnel's would probably shot through the firewall.

Attachments

• Photo0228.jpg
    Photo0228.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 162
  • Photo0229.jpg
    Photo0229.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 293
  • Photo0230.jpg
    Photo0230.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 72
  • Photo0232.jpg
    Photo0232.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 76
  • Photo0234.jpg
    Photo0234.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 88
Now are the windows in your block stock, or are those custom?

on the serious, I'd like to nominate you for thread title of the year good sir.

yes stroke it good, and don't forget to lubricate while stroking, it will prevent premature failures.

You tricked me with the title damnit. I like your ricer windows though. LOL :D

Sounds like a good build. May I suggest Brian Crower 272 cams? ExtremePSI has a deal going on for them right now.

the list looks good.

regular arp's will do fine at that power level. but you didnt mention compression ratio. pick that to match your turbo and fuel type now(e85, pump 93 ect..).
we can assume at this point you will get the fuel and tuning side done when you put the car together.

on the head work.. dont forget just how low in the powerband a stroker will make power. and how low the final rev's will be, you cant therefore go with a big cam designed to make top end power if your top end is much lower than the cam has been designed for.

on that note i would say for a street stroker the ideal cam would probably be the 264. the biggest i would consider on a street stroker would be the 272 on a ported head with matching intake and exhaust. with the 272 you can of course do your stiffer springs, but i wouldn't bother unless your building the head. you wont be reving to the point that the big springs are really necessary. on the 264 assuming its a healthy head i would just drop in the cam.

yes, but don't forget the "destroked pistons" otherwise they'll stick outta the deck on TDC

1. Can I install the wiseco on the factory rods? Im sure you can, but why not spend 300 and get better?
2. Is the ARP L19 head bolts really worth it or the regular ARP will do just fine? I have around 400 and the standard are doing fine.
3. Saw Supertech dual valve spring kit at Extreme PSI website, will that be ok for the cams I have plan? You can go with evo 8 spring and they will handle power.
4. How much hp can the the block take? Depends on how you build it up.

But still have some question about some of the parts.

1. Can I install the wiseco on the factory rods?
2. Is the ARP L19 head bolts really worth it or the regular ARP will do just fine?
3. Saw Supertech dual valve spring kit at Extreme PSI website, will that be ok for the cams I have plan?
4. How much hp can the the block take?

1. Yes, if you're in a bind. 6-bolt rods will work in a stroker, and should be fine for 400whp. I actually have the 6-bolt rod, wesico piston, 4g64 crank combo in my long block now. Also, with this combo, I didn't have any clearance issues common with strokers. Now, if you're serious, grab a set of nice rods.
2. I'd stick with regular old ARPs
3. Yes
4. Depends on a lot of things. With a 6 bolt rod stroker setup, I wouldn't push too much beyond that 400whp mark.

Take your time with the build. If you rush it, you'll forget things.

because 300whp is old news xD

Gotta aim higher and farther than intended so you wont be disappointed at the end.

May I suggest Brian Crower 272 cams? ExtremePSI has a deal going on for them right now.

Wow, that is a pretty good deal. If anyone knows of any sites that are having really good sales or deals please let me know. Hopefully this years Christmas sales have some cannot past up prices.

but you didnt mention compression ratio. pick that to match your turbo and fuel type now(e85, pump 93 ect..).
we can assume at this point you will get the fuel and tuning side done when you put the car together.

Planning on going with the 9:1 compression pistons on 91 octane with 850cc injectors and ecmlink for management. Currently have a 16g and 18g turbo. You guys think I'll reach my HP goal with the 18g?

with the 272 you can of course do your stiffer springs, but i wouldn't bother unless your building the head. you wont be reving to the point that the big springs are really necessary. on the 264 assuming its a healthy head i would just drop in the cam.

The head came of the car with about 250k+ miles and the block had about 350k+ miles on it so everything is going to be replaced. That's why i was just gonna go with the supertech valves spring kit. Even though I can get away with not using it, its there for a better peace of mind. Also, if I want bigger cams in the future its just going to be a drop in.

yes, but don't forget the "destroked pistons" otherwise they'll stick outta the deck on TDC

I thought I read somewhere that the 4g64 have a taller deck height and no need for a destroked piston and only the 4g63 needed it with the stroke crank. Can someone clarify this? It would great to know before I place an order for the pistons.

You can go with evo 8 spring and they will handle power.

I have my mind set for some 272cams but if I decide to go with some 280cams will the EVO springs be able to handle it? By the way, what are the benefits of a beehive design valve spring compered to a dual valve spring (vise versa)?

As for the block question I had. I meant how much HP will the cylinder wall will be able to take. Hopefully the 4g64 block has not been hone or bored before. If not, planning to bore it out to 87mm. I believe the max you can bore it out to is 88mm correct?

Thanks for all the help.

yes stroke it good, and don't forget to lubricate while stroking, it will prevent premature failures.

Oh, its gonna get stroked alright. Recommendation for the best lube;)

I thought I read somewhere that the 4g64 have a taller deck height and no need for a destroked piston and only the 4g63 needed it with the stroke crank. Can someone clarify this? It would great to know before I place an order for the pistons.

Correct, you will need a piston that will compensate for deck height. Most sites that sell Wiseco pistons will also sell Wiseco stroker pistons. If you decide to go with this build, might I suggest using a minimum of 6 bolt rods. If thats the road you take you will need to get the rods machined to accommodate for the larger wrist pin.

Planning on going with the 9:1 compression pistons on 91 octane with 850cc injectors and ecmlink for management. Currently have a 16g and 18g turbo. You guys think I'll reach my HP goal with the 18g?

On 91 I don't see it as very likely that you will get 400 AWHP out of an 18G. Maybe if you run meth injection with the 91.

Correct, you will need a piston that will compensate for deck height. Most sites that sell Wiseco pistons will also sell Wiseco stroker pistons. If you decide to go with this build, might I suggest using a minimum of 6 bolt rods. If thats the road you take you will need to get the rods machined to accommodate for the larger wrist pin.

Damn it, so our saying that the deck height of the two blocks are the same. Correct? Where did I read that says the 4g64 has a higher deck height? As for the rods I've decided to go with the eagle rods. But, just in case the funds happens to not be there at the time of purchasing these components. The 6 bolts rods will only need to be machine for the wrist pin to fit and as for the big end of the rod and rod bearings everything should fit just fine on the 4g64 crank. Right?

On 91 I don't see it as very likely that you will get 400 AWHP out of an 18G. Maybe if you run meth injection with the 91.

E85 is popping up everywhere around my area. 91 octane just in case I drive out of town and there's no E85 around I would be safe. But, my first option was to run it on E85 and see the max potential of the 18g. I am currently in the hunt for a Holset HX35. Been walking the junk yards around here hopefully getting lucky. A friend of a friend found one in good condition at a yard and paid only $80 WTF.

Im kinda suprised on how many people looked at this thread because of the title, do you all really wanna see a guy stroking it?

Yes you will need a "stroker" piston, and 272s will be perfect.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back