The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1G ignition timing and idle adjustment problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dewayne Waldron

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 5, 2009
Salem, Virginia
So I tried setting the ignition timing with my logger plugged in. I didn't dawn on me until now. I know that with the logger connected, when you ground the timing connection it actually puts the ecu into biss mode. I realized what I had done and unhooked the logger cable and reset the timing. It was way, way off. when I set it to 5* when grounded then ungroung it shoots up to 20*. When I try adjusting it back to 9* without grounding the harness it then shoots to 0*. And also now I'm having to to screw the biss all the way in for it to idle a hair below 1000. Anyone know how I can fix this?

You have to fix the idle speed first. The ECU will drop out of set timing mode if the idle is above 1200 rpm.
Once you get the idle down you can ground the set timing connector, set it to 5* BTDC and then when ungrounded it should be around 8* but will vary.

Also make sure that the timing mark on the pulley and cover (T) line up at TDC by checking that #1 piston is really at TDC and make sure the cams are also at TDC.

I've got it where it idles at around 800 rpm and the timing is now set right but it seems as the ignition timing is still off. There is a cel now in which for some reason I can't get my logger to read, it keeps telling me serial common error and it also seems like it is misfiring now. the engine is idling very ruff. It didn't do this before. The engine timing is set perfectly.

Come on. I need some input. What else could have been screwed up when I tryed setting the timing with both the timing connection grounded and pin 10 grounded. The engine idle speed is too low now no matter how much I turn the biss. It ran fine before I tried setting the timing and now it barely runs.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back