The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

I Hate My DSM, or My DSM Hates Me [Merged 12-8]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ummmm....uhhhhh.....oh boy, no comment on that one. I dont wanna feel even more stupid. Ok, fine. You talked me into it. I dont think the waterpump was working at the time.
So you ignored one problem and it caused another, much larger problem. That was inevitable.....if you didn't think it could've happened, then you've got alot to learn about life.

I no longer feel sorry for you. :|

And your temp gauge..

I was watching it...the temp literally shot up within a quarter mile to a mile of my last check.

I told you guys i didnt deserve any sympathy:D

So...how do I get to work for Tial?

I got the job through Kettering University and their co-op program. You still have to apply for it and go through the interview process but the company gets cheap labor while training an engineer that will most likely keep working there after graduation. Not to brag but i have the best co-op at Kettering, mua ha ha.

As for the STI....Im keeping the bike and fixing the DSM today. Looking at keeping my weisco pistons, rods and stock crank, clevite bearings, arp hardware, total seal rings, and a duralast waterpump.

So I live in Duluth Minnesota and as you all know it gets pretty cold here. I drove to minneapolis to pick up a 95 Eclipse gst, i got there and the car looked great and showed no signs of anything going bad. I drove the car 220 miles home without a problem. The next morning i go outside to start it and it turns over but wont catch I figured it was just to cold. So I get a cab and go to work, when I got back home i checked for spark and fuel and i had both. So I turn the key a few more times and it starts and runs perfect and at this time it was even colder than it was in the morning!!!??!!? I was wondering if there is anything that anyone could suggest, any help would be appreciated.

If it has fuel and spark that is always good. What kind of plugs does it have and how do they look? There are multiple things it could be. Sounds like it may be a Coolant Temp. Sensor. If that is going bad it won't know the correct amount of fuel to add at startup and that could cause the plugs to foul out and not want to start right away. I would start with those two basic items first. Does it restart ok after you get it started the first time? Never hurts to check for boost leaks and compression tests as well.

Timing is going to cause a lot more problems than what he has. You would be able to hear interferance.

so, the engine turned over, but didnt start, or the starter didnt make contact with the flywheel and spun on its own. or, did the starter just click when you tried to start it?

Goto your favorite auto parts store and get some Gasline antifreeze (all it is is just alcohol to absorb the moisture that is in the bottom of the tank and send it on though with the fuel), shove it into the tank after you get it started, head to the filling station and keep that tank more than half full so you reduce the moisture condensation in the tank.

My '90 did some of this trick when it was super cold over here as well - no start on sitting overnight in super cold conditions and the fuel left the rail due to this. I just hit the starter for 5 sec on then off, then repeated this cycle for a while til the pump got the pressure back up in the rail (since our DSM's fuel pump doesn't kick on until the motor cranks over and starts) and it fired right up.

Might have a gimpy check valve in the fuel pump in not keeping the pressure in the fuel rail.

Take the intake hose off and shoot a zap of starting fluid into the throttle bore and see if it catches. I always keep a can handy in our cold climates..just in case..

You take care of that DSM and it'll take care of you ... and they don't hate you - just love to be driven and noticed.

!BRRRR!! - DSM

I swear...I can't make this bi*** happy! Less than a year and a half ago (give or take) I gave her a new tranny/clutch. Not 4 months ago, I gave her a BUILT engine...and now axles are going, starters are grinding (at least that's what I'm PRAYING it is), Dad is busting windows with his effing lawnmower, my AFC is tuning freakin' BACKWARDS.

And to top it off, I'm trying to sell the damn thing so I can move and NO one's gonna want to buy a car that you have to "Flintstone" around.

Anyone ever heard the song "Two Ton Paperweight" by Psychostick?

"My car is a PIECE OF SH!T! I wanna drive you off a cliff, watch you crash into a ravine for all the things you did to me you STUPID CAR!"

Grrrrrr....I have so much hate for this machine right now.

They'll eat more than money if you let them. They'll eat your souls. Then, they'll eat your children. It's a 12 year old car - stuff's going to break. DSM's aren't for the faint of heart, or wallet. Hell; mine cost more than all my BMWs have combined for maintenance.

Oh all this I know. I've dumped more than I care to admit into this thing since I bought it 2 years ago. And I love it. But seriously...can't a girl get a break?

You know, in your profile pic, it kind of looks like your car has a furrowed brow... he looks angry too :) Eventually you'll have replaced so many parts that it'll behave like a new car :p

I see you're in the hate part of the love/hate relationship. You have to remember, how much boost are you running? How much HP/TQ? I wouldn't be surprised if I got handed a new tranny and motor and I blew up the shafts. Think logically here.

Haha, I only talk crap behind her back...she'll never know. People seriously think I'm crazy sometimes when I drive it...half the time when I'm starting it I'm giving the steering wheel little kisses and whispering "Comon' baby...you can do this. Just start...I promise I'll buy the regulator...just please, love...stop bitching." Or something like that. ROFL

And yea, I'm not surprised that tranny's giving out (if it is...not totally sure yet). I'm kind of past the point of stock trannys...

Your just jealous because your a girl and you cant spend that money on shoes and useless purses...

(i'm kidding)

(well about the shoes and purses)

(hell I dont know)

( my car almost went off a cliff because I was going to drive it there too)

Ha! I'd love to buy some new clothes. All my jeans have holes/oil stains/or just general wear and tear...problem is that I'd rather buy BC272's and a day on the dyno. I haven't bought new clothes in...3 years or so...strangely enough, that's when I added the Dizzum to my budget...coincidence? I think not. I really am addicted to this car...and the pain of having to sell her is absolutely killing me. She may be a hooptie, she may not run 90% of the time, she may be the biggest money pit on the planet...but she's MINE! :cry: :cry: :cry: I don't wanna sell my baby!

Ha! I'd love to buy some new clothes. All my jeans have holes/oil stains/or just general wear and tear...problem is that I'd rather buy BC272's and a day on the dyno. I haven't bought new clothes in...3 years or so...strangely enough, that's when I added the Dizzum to my budget...coincidence? I think not. I really am addicted to this car...and the pain of having to sell her is absolutely killing me. She may be a hooptie, she may not run 90% of the time, she may be the biggest money pit on the planet...but she's MINE! :cry: :cry: :cry: I don't wanna sell my baby!

Where are the other car loving girls like you? No clothes in 3 years?:D

Maybe after you fix the axles and other stuff, the car will finally stop eating your money.

I think I'm in love. The only car girl in my town drives a Camaro and considers anything below 350 C.I not a real car.

Really though if you want it gone so bad, I'll take it off your hands for you. I mean, your pretty car can make love to my piece o' shit and maybe, just maybe it will have a perfect running machine!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back