The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

I Hate My DSM, or My DSM Hates Me [Merged 12-8]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ringa-ding-ding

LOL it actually has been ppretty reliable up til now though, like i said ive driven it everyday for the last year except a couple days here and there to fix things i notice. never left me stranded til the TB belt got eaten up last week :notgood: damn cheap parts in the good box. my own damn fault for not paying attention to the actual parts

damn cheap parts in the good box. my own damn fault for not paying attention to the actual parts

If you notice, that's the order of the universe when it comes to mechanical or electrical. It's never their fault they break down, it's always human error. Therefore, you can't get mad at the car itself, rather the person/people who have worked on it or the people who built it.

If you notice, that's the order of the universe when it comes to mechanical or electrical. It's never their fault they break down, it's always human error. Therefore, you can't get mad at the car itself, rather the person/people who have worked on it or the people who built it.

not mad at my car, my car is mad at me LOL like i said the only reason my shit broke is ### when i changed the timing belt i bought a gates for it. didnt look at the brand on the belt itself til after it broke, ITM

I've got a perfect example of this. I have a 96 Tsi AWD that i bought from a dumbass buddy. He had nothing but problems with the car only because he ignored it and never did or knew how to do any of the work on it. I bought it from him 2-3 months ago in a non-running state and fixed everything, put it back together and i've driven it almost everyday since i bought it. This isn't an average DSM either. It has 430awhp and runs on E85.

Basically what i'm saying is that there is no reason why any of these cars shouldnt be reliable. They are unreliable because they are neglected. Keep up with maintenece and it'll run fine for as long as you own it.

I never use my car because of the terrible fuel-cuts plus it's not that exciting anymore since I bought my bike. So today I decided to change valve seals, I swear my car doesn't want me to fix it. I have so much hate towards my car because it becomes a PITA to get things done.

While I was removing the cams, I noticed the CAS under the intake cam. I started removing the cams thinking I actually did remove all bolts for CAS ...CLACK... the POS breaks. Somehow there was another bolt that needed to remove. Got me so mad I left everything like that and went inside.

So, I decided to give my car another chance (like always)... went back out there to give it a little love. Immediately I hit a road block, how the f**k can I take off the springs. I tried the C clamp trick but still it ain't working for me.

My POS is staying the way it is til i figure out a way to remove the springs without : hurting myself, cutting myself, or somehow breaking something else.

I tell you this sh*t never happens to me with other vehicles...why??

Sorry just needed to rant.

It's ok to feel that way, same thing happened to me and im pretty sure to all other dsm'ers out there. So many memories with my first gen, fix one thing another hing breaks. The joy of owning a dsm... Just relax and don't stress yourself man, take your time with her, like you would with a hot woman in bed.. just kidding not that far hehe. But these cars do require A LOT of patience. As for your springs i would suggest a spring compressor ? Good luck with that. Don't worry bro you're not the only one and it'll be ok. Better days will come for you my friend.

Wierd thing about it is that it only happens to me with my 2g. My 1g, never had a problem like this. I'm really thinking putting my aftermarket parts from my 2g to my 1g. Afroclipse I haven't quit yet, don't see why you said I suck it's not like i'm changing an intake or turbo. I'll be giving it another try tomorrow.

OK I'm sorry, first of all you need to be patient and not in the way the other guy said because no one is patient with a hot girl cause of the excitement.

How you decided to pull on stuff(cas) without checking whether its loose all the way is just careless. Tomorrow pick a task ie. springs: take your ass to autozone or somewhere and rent you a valve spring decompressor thingy. If your CAS is broken go to the classified and look for one, when you get it in please take your time and don't force anything. Try and get a helper with equal or more knowlegdge than you or get the Manual.

DSM's are pure assholes and you know it, they are like the hulk except the angrier you get the more their strength to piss you off increases. Go to bed and get laid then wake up in the morning fresh and deal with that asshole with a clear head, how was that:)

Just venting a little bit. So...story time.....

Im on the way to work, fairly new student employee at TiAL, and my car starts to act weird. It stalls out at stops and power is gone. I dont stop because i have to go to work. I CANT BE LATE! IM THE NEW GUY! Vitals are all good on the guages, its boosting properly, and no major problems seem to be going on. I get about a mile down the freeway and i smell something funny......i boiled the oil. :cry: So i shut it off and coast down the off ramp thats right there (im lucky with these off ramps, third time ive had to do this). I have to start it to get through the light and to the gas station but its barely running and i end up coasting again into the lot. WOOOOO! I get another flatbed ride!

Im late for work and now have to drive my dad's automatic, canary yellow with black racing strips cobalt......tastefully accented with the handicap plate and no, its not an SS. All out RICE.

I get home and start working on it. I just cant find this lound snapping sound anywhere. While turning it over i looked at the coil pack; its arcing from terminal to terminal and i mean ARCING. Found the snap. I replace that, start it up, and....still stalls out. Compression check yeilds 60, 80, 75, 100 and its knocking but not that badly. I rip off the head. Not a lifter tick, no blown gasket or warping. I come to the conclusion that i need a bigger and better rotating assembly...but just bought an 08 cbr1000rr and have no money. So its gonna be a while.

Im fed up with this car and about to be declaring it a :beatentodeath:. Call me a traitor but im trying to trade my bike for an sti. Maybe ill have better luck with a subie. Im not a total traitor though, im selling my new baby and keeping the DSM...LOL. I hate it but yet i cant part with it.:dsm::talon::laser:

Well the EVO is my dream car but just a lil too much money for the one i want. And that Ken Block Gymkana video kinda sold me. Im keeping the DSM! Thats good enough right? LOL

How exactly do you "boil the oil" during daily driving?

ummmm....uhhhhh.....oh boy, no comment on that one. I dont wanna feel even more stupid. Ok, fine. You talked me into it. I dont think the waterpump was working at the time. You know that saying when one thing goes wrong they all go wrong? It had been acting funny and i just kept saying, "itll go another day". The added stress from the arcing may have contributed to a lean condition as well...maybe. Im just guessing now.

Have fun working on the STi engine. What a PITA! Got rid of my 04 STi couple years ago after the engine started knocking and couldn't be happier with the DSM. Their engines are not all that great. At least I can get to the DSM turbo easliy. Rotated kits for the Subby are the way to go but pricey. I have to admit, the drivetrain in the STi is stout though. Still costs too much for a used STi.

ummmm....uhhhhh.....oh boy, no comment on that one. I dont wanna feel even more stupid. Ok, fine. You talked me into it. I dont think the waterpump was working at the time. You know that saying when one thing goes wrong they all go wrong? It had been acting funny and i just kept saying, "itll go another day". The added stress from the arcing may have contributed to a lean condition as well...maybe. Im just guessing now.

And your temp gauge..

If theres one thing we cant do with these cars is slack off 1 thing goes they all go good luck on getting her back and running again.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back