The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Hyundai Head

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlacasse1

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 6, 2009
Scott AFB, Illinois
I keep reading conflicting info on this subject, so I wanted some input. Just trying to confirm what I have read before I go and buy this head from the junkyard.

The 1.6 Hyundai engine will have a head with 43cc chamber and either large or small runners correct?

And the 1.8 can be either 43cc or 47cc with larger runners?

If anyone knows the answer for sure, then please let me know.

Thanks

The 1.6/2.0 has a 43cc head and oval shape ports[intake].
The 1.8 has 43cc head and 1G style intake ports.

And you know that how? Experience or reading it somewhere?

Another question about where you said the 1.6 head has oval intake ports. Is that the same port that is on a 2g head? I have never seen a 2g head or intake manifold so I have no idea what they look like. I just know they are smaller than a 1g.

And you know that how? Experience or reading it somewhere?

Another question about where you said the 1.6 head has oval intake ports. Is that the same port that is on a 2g head? I have never seen a 2g head or intake manifold so I have no idea what they look like. I just know they are smaller than a 1g.

Experience. I use the Hyundai 1.8L on my Galant GS. I had to switch over to the 1G IM because the 1.8L IM require porting the TB opening to use my stock 60mm TB plus the GS IM is pretty much a 2G IM with a 60mm TB opening.
I did a compression test: The stock GS norm is around 210-220, with the 1.8L it was 230.

I'll post pics of the heads later.

EDIT: Heres the link
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/151872298-post23.html

Last edited:
Well I found a 1.6 head. Does either the 2g or 1g manifold match it?

Needs to be port match for either one. Some Sonatas have the big port head from year 97-99 I believe.

1G manifold. The Hyundai 1.6/1.8 DOHC heads are the same as a 1G head, just the smaller combustion chamber. I had a 1.8 head on one of my 1G's, and I have a 1.6 head sitting around to use some day as well. I haven't set an intake gasket over the 1.6 head, but I believe it's the same.

so i could use the hyundai head to get a bump in compression rather than use 2g pistons :)

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back