The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

How much HP can my stock RS engine handle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by EvuLFleA
You should really listen to Murix btw. You said you know "all about the bottom end/capabilites etc...". If you know so much you should know what YOU are doing to your engine and not listen to BS statements from some mechanic. Murix is probably sporting over 400hp. Him and Armond (www.armond30.com) do everything themselves. They are probably some of the smartest people around if you want to know about your 420A. You should really listen to this guy since he WILL help you and correct you when you are wrong.

^^^werd!:D :p

ok, i was wrong and out of line, i just wanted to believe he was right, like i said i know a decent amount about the car, but maybe not the in depth little stuff and the hp levels. I never said you guys were wrong and i was right, so from now on lets say as you say, the builder is wrong, we'll go with that. I am on here to build a high powered car and with help of people like all of us, we all can build nice fast cars. So lets drop the hp number thing, as i was wrong, i was blind because i am still new, didnt know the exact numbers of hp gains and so fourth, but i have done alot of research about the car and have learned a decent amount and hope that the people on here, and on 2gnt will help me achieve the optimal build. including murix and his crew, and everyone who has tryed to convince me about the motor, i didnt like the bashing so much, but the info was encouraging, and if you dint read i went with 10:1 .040" pistons for now, should help a little, if you guys are building and have built this motor, please stay in touch and help me out and maybe if your close we can hang out, again sorry for being presumptious about the hp thing, lets drop it and get down to what we were here to do in the first place, build the hell out of dsms. thanks again
If wondering i am low and fast at 2gnt.

And to that I say good luck with your project! I actually do look forward to what you guys can do. If you true intentions are for an all motor beast, you would be a serious candidate for looking into Howell's stroker setup. It will move you to a 2.2l and you can still get high revs and high compression pistons. Would be a sweet setup. If you have any other questions there are a few guys around here who can help sort out options such as cams, manifolds, etc which you will need to get the most out of it.

For inspiration, there are a few guys running 15.5's in the low 90's on a stock motor with a few choice bolt ons. It would nice to be able to see you get in the low 14 range on just the motor which is very possible.

Oh, and not to bring up a getting sore subject, I just wanted to clarify that a tt 420a IS possible, but to the mass community none have been identified or seen as of yet. If you do in fact know of one I would be real interested in seeing some pics of the turbo setup. I have a good grasp of what it would look like based on Doug Derbys work with his 1G twin turbo.

2.2L stroker would be awesome. Any plans on using that Murix? Is Armond done with his car now? Is he putting 1 more dollar into it or is he just going to fix it and sell it?

I think he just finally got tired of blowing it up so if i remember right he is going to sell it. :( :cry:

His Avenger will be at NOPI NAts if anyone wants to see it up and running. I am sure he will run it in the dyno competition. I will be there as well.

why is it always like thart as soon as every body finds out that u dont have a turbo charged dsm they plant the idea of u selling ur car and getting something with power all i have to say u guys with em gsx and gs-t SUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK :) j/k about the suck part

i say u wont get more than 180whp UNLESS there is something ur doing that ur not telling us... but no way with that CR ull get 375hp

knifedgeing the crank?????? the stock 420a crank is already knife edged from the factory. I rather have a 420a rs than a turbo 4g63. Has any of the turbo guys hard about crankwalk? #@%#@%#@%#@%, Thats all I hear with those cars with heavy duty clutches. Put in a set of hd rods, pistons, and a 20g turbo kit w/ an intercooler and you will spank almost anything without a doubt. If you realy want to be a bad boy throw in a 75 shot of nitrous. The 420a is a good reliable engine from the boot. just my two cents.

Originally posted by Claud99gsx
you'd be better off selling the car and buying a used gsx or gst. It'll probably be cheaper in the long run than shelling out $ for a turbo kit on your RS where you cant run much boost on anyway

i'm so tired of hearing this garbage from the turbo guys...i can give a turbo a good run with my n/t...it's all good, keep sleeping, that's what i like...

okay guys...
I have a 93 Laser...
that has the 2.0 DOHC
that is the 420A right?
if so, then the guy i bought the car from said i had 500HP!;)
j/k

I say go with the turbo kit for your 420a RS, that's what I did and I'm glad I did that. Not only will you save in the lower insurance aspect but you can avoid the sparse but still very real threat of crankwalk which exists among the factory turbocharged 95+ Eclipse motors. I bought my 1996 Eclipse RS with 60,000 miles TWO years ago for $8,900 so what can you get one for now? About 7k? I spent $3200.00 on the Star Performance Stage II kit and none for installation as I installed it myself. My friend has a 1997 Eclipse GS-T that he spent $13,000 for three months ago with about 55k miles and has only since added an N1 exhaust. The first race we did was from a 60mph roll and I simply ran away from him. So right now I have spent less total on my car than him and it would be even less now that the RS is cheaper. Not only that but I now have a turbo that is good for a lot more power, the GS-T and GSX factory turbo is very limited in the top end when more boost is set.

As for your max-boost of the 420a question I would say go no higher than 10psi (recommended anyways). I keep my deltagate setting at 8psi and only occasionally turn it to 10psi. With another $1,200-$1,500 to get engine internals, 440cc injectors, and an AFC you can run 17psi safely on the 420a. Possibly more than 17psi, 17psi I do know is a safe setting for a well-built up 420a.

could you beat your friend from a dead start? just wondering cuz i heard the HRC kit provides better low-mid range power and the Star provides more High end power (ie rollin;g start) just wondering... cuz i cant decide between star or hrc :confused:

I haven't raced the GS-T off the line yet but it wouldn't pull very much on me until my turbo makes full boost. What type of turbo does the HRC kit have with it? The Star kit I have has a t3/t4e turbo, smaller t3 exhaust housing and fairly large t4 compressor. My turbo begins to spool at around 2400rpm and makes full boost a bit under 3000rpm. Anything smaller than my turbo I wouldn't go for unless you seriously want to be limited in your potential power. Plus the spool is perfect to where you can still retain your gas mileage (if you care about that sort of thing) by just driving under or a bit over 2krpm.

Hey Guys, I sure dont know what has been happening here after reading a little bit but I too have been told the same and I am so happy to hear that there are other people with the mentality of heck no am not getting rid of my car caouse you say so, listen guys I have a goal of reaching 275 HP out of my 420a and if you dont think I can do it, WATCH ME! :D

Besides most of us cant afford what others can, right? well, am building mines up no matter what others say, LOL later dudes

Now im all confused which kit should we go for
the star kit the hrc kit or the racing edge one ?????????
and soo if we actullay build the internals ? how much hp will we be makin ??????? at 17 psi...

ok i am rather new to this but figured this is the place to find the stuff. i am just needing to know what mods i can do to a car for around 1g and get some good hp increase. not really looking for running a 10 sec car in the future just want something to race now. also what would be a good site to get the parts from or to look for parts.

Why don't any of you just convert to a turbo instead of doing bolt on's, one thing to let you know I am currently doing the conversion now everyone says just buy a turbo eclipse, screw that then they say your going to spend over 6,000 bullshit i am doing it all right now for 2,500 the price of a kit. Its rather simple you do your own labor get some of the dsmer's to help you , or sponser your mechanic, buy a crashed up GST or GSX and replace the #### into your car, and the only thing you should buy is an engine and a tranny. And about getting the bonus leather seats , and power everything screw that also you get it in the package when you buy the wrecked car, when I am done converting I am setting the standards to all the bs talkers, besides think of it this way insurance is way cheaper. :) Take it easy peeps email me at [email protected] if you want to get the details do what I am doing and let you in with tips, or on aim NightEclipseRS. Peace!

Attachments

• 262015_12_full.jpg
    262015_12_full.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 717
Originally posted by Super20G
I dont know what hahn's prices are now, i think a smidge over 6 grand. Do yourself a favor and do all the labor yourself... Only thing you should have to pay for are parts and machine shop costs. I bought the car with a lot of work already done to it, so i ripped everything apart and reworked it so I"d know what I had and how it was done

I'm wondering how long it takes for it to fully spool. I'd guess around 4000-4500rpms. The whole package and all for $6000 sounds pretty good and pretty tempting. Might be the one I'll look at :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back