The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

How much HP can my stock RS engine handle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GettinHUGE

20+ Year Contributor
Jul 25, 2002
USA
How much power can I run through the 420A engine before I need to start replacing internals? I guess it would be better to ask how much boost a stock RS engine can handle if I bolt on a turbo?

I eventually plan on replacing internals and then probably increasing the boost but not at first.

you'd be better off selling the car and buying a used gsx or gst. It'll probably be cheaper in the long run than shelling out $ for a turbo kit on your RS where you cant run much boost on anyway

yeah.... it would cost u around 3gs for the kit.... u might as well sell the car and get a turbo version.... unless later on u drop n a 4g63T in ur car ^^; or u have it extremely modded... andc then u get nice leather seats with nice power windows and door locks. :) just an added bonus if u think about it.

first off, you may not want to sell your car if you have already modded it at all or you may not be able to afford the higher insurance rates on the turbo model. if you get the HRC kit you should be able to push 10psi w/ a stage 2 kit and upgraded injectors. (turbosystem.com) then there are the NER and STAR kits, those come with T3/T4 turbos and you should limit the amount of boost you run to 8psi

Thanks for your opinions but I'd rather build up the RS. By replacing some of the internals I'm no longer "boost limited". My family owns a garage so doing all the labor ourselves will save me a lot of money. Therefore, selling the car and buying a turbo version probably wouldn't save me any money in the long run at all.

Evolving, I already have the power windows, power locks, power mirrors, and leather interior from a 98 GS-T :D

Its NER not SER, LOL. With NER you can put the kits on layaway, all you need to do is put down 10% and make payments from there. Shaun, the owner of NER, did have a groupbuy on the kits where you got 10% off the kit and 20% off of any accessories you buy at the same time, but he is no longer doing that. Right now I have the Stage 1C kit on layaway and will (hopefully) have it paid of by christmas. I already have a 1G sidemount IC that was given to me, and plan on running 8psi with larger injectors.

If you are going to rebuild you may want to consider getting a stroked engine rather than just rebuilding your 2.0. There are a couple of options if you want to go this route. Howell sells a 2.2L shortblock, basically all you have to do is buy it and swap out your block for that one. They also sell just the 2.0L shortblock as well. These blocks are already assembled, balanced and blueprinted with forged internals. Then there is the option of going with the 2.4L engine out of the Stratus, Cirrus, whatever the other cloud car is, and the caravan. All you need is the bottom end from it. The do make forged internals for the car and once you get it bored .02 over it becomes a 2.5L. You use your head, which bolts right up to the 2.4 block, and I would recommend taking out the balance shafts and getting the crank, rods and pistons balanced. Supposedly going this route ends up costing the same or less than it would be to go with the 2.2L from Howell and will produce much more power and torque. The only prob with bolting this block in is the passenger side motor mount which needs to be modified. When I rebuild this is the route I am gonna take.

Oh yeah, when the new turbo neon comes out it will come with the same 2.4L block but with stock forged pistons and rods. Just something to think about

Dude,
These turbo guys are lame. Thats all they think about. Sounds too easy to me...duh, just trade your car for a turbo version. Yeah, and dump all your work... get a wasted turbo motor that some schmuck has driven the crap out of and then expect a grand more insurance a year on that baby. nah!
Go see this site http://www.2gnt.com/www/files/powerstages.htm
very cool. lays it all out for you with prices of upgrades and all. what do you think would mean more to you? A 200hp 420a RS or some turbo that every other schmuck has?

later

Attachments

• eclipse small.jpg
    eclipse small.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 10,125
lunaticlipse:
those kits are for the RS/GS 2G cars, so you dont lose any of the work you've put into the car. And since the title states it as non turbo your insurance company wont know and the rates stay the same.

Ive stated before I dont plan on getting rid of my car for a long time, it means alot more to me then being "just a hunk of metal", but I do plan on stockpiling some cash and getting a forced induction kit, then later a better bottom end to crank the boost.

Can we get this made into a sticky???...We need a 420a turbo sticky...

ps
I hate when people tell me to buy a turbo car...f*ck me thats annoying...

Yeah just trade it for a turbo model. All you have to do is drive to a dealer and just tell them you want to trade. Takes about 15-20 minutes :rolleyes:

to better answer this question, hahn and star have their stage II kits at around 275 HP, and thats without upgrading the internals aka the bottom end so if you can get that high NA then besure to upgrade the rods and stuff beofre doing anything else

I have a 96 eclipse rs witht he 420a engine, and i also get tired of hearing the same thing gettin huge is hearing. For one thing this forum is the non turbo performance so why is there turbo people on here dogging us with our non turbo, if we talk about turbo on our n/t thats still n/t talk. And, why dog the 420a just cause you don't understand it, i have mine being completely rebuilt on the internals. The people doing my rebuild have done this for years ans so have i, and they say from their experience that the 420a engine is actually a more stable engine to build on than the 46g3. I think both enginers are equally great except one is turbo and one is not. Know your stuff before commeting about the n/t, not just what you heard or thibnk about it because its not as "special" as ther turbos, i accept all people building whatever they want, don't be so narrow minded. My 420a after the rebuid will be on just motor around 375 horsepower, no nos ,no turbo and thats on the 420a engine, and thats from the person who has raced and dynoed these engines for years. And to answer gettin huges question, the stock internals can handle around 300 horsepower without to much problem, at least thats the rating of the rods.

lo_eclipz

sh*t man...thats some big ass HP. Won't it be sweet to mop up turbo cars with your n/a 420a??

What are you doing in your rebuild to get that kind of HP?

Yeah what are you doing and can these engines really handle that without problems? So if I were to hook up a 75hp shot of Nos and set my boost to around 6psi total hp around : 270 And raced it like that I wouldn't have problems with out. And also I could run 10psi until I raced? That would be cool.....

how do you plan on getting 275 hp with a 75 shot of nos, what else do you have on your car.

Lo Eclipz, I'm very interested in hearing what you're doing to your engine to bring it up to ths much horsepower. I'm sure I'm not the only one. If you could please go into detail we would all very much appreciate it.

We are knifedgeing the crank, hot dipping the block, 8.8:1 .20" overbore pistons, eagle rods, honing the block, porting and polishing the head, valve rework, bored throttle body, port and polish intake manifold, header, downpipe, complete blueprinting the engine, dual muffler crossover racing catback exhaust, ac removed, power steering removed for weight, timing belt replaced with chain, 9 mm wires, platinum plugs, cold air intake and this work is a predicted 310 hp at the dyno meaning to the wheel hp.

Turbo kit from quantom should help. Set at 12psi it pulls 100hp making it 215 at the wheels. And adding a 75hp shot to that I don't know but I'm estimating 275hp to wheels.....

So would your cheaper method for an exhaust work with a turbo.

lo_eclipz, the work that you are doing; will that be "turbo ready"? By that I mean, if you put a turbo kit onto the engine when this work is done, will you be able to run higher boost that say 10psi?

I would think you should be able to, but I'd though I'd check...

the crank is going to bebalanced, blueprinted and knifeedged to the point of perfect balance and weight, i haven't heard of it being done alreadfy, but if it is for some strange reason, it will be done better and more aggressive.

curtis yes the engine will be turbo and nos ready when i decide to finally do it, but for now i am building it all motor to get the title of wordls fastest all motor 2g eclipse, maybe even fastest all motor eclipse period, my plans to go turbo is why i am putting in 8.8:1 pistons, if i wasnt i would put in like 12:1.

Originally posted by lo eclipz
We are knifedgeing the crank, hot dipping the block, 8.8:1 .20" overbore pistons, eagle rods, honing the block, porting and polishing the head, valve rework, bored throttle body, port and polish intake manifold, header, downpipe, complete blueprinting the engine, dual muffler crossover racing catback exhaust, ac removed, power steering removed for weight, timing belt replaced with chain, 9 mm wires, platinum plugs, cold air intake and this work is a predicted 310 hp at the dyno meaning to the wheel hp.
Why are you running 8.8 compression on your all motor 420a? Anyway I 100% gaurantee you that you will not dyno anywhere near 310 w/ those mods. I have a motor w/ 8.5 compression and I plan to make 300WHP w/ 16psi boost. Please be realistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back