The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

How much HP can my stock block handle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GettinHUGE

20+ Year Contributor
Jul 25, 2002
USA
The question is pretty much just as I stated it in the subject. How much HP can I crank out of my stock engine by adding a turbo without worrying about replacing internals?

I'm thinking that 300hp shouldn't be out of the question but I don't know. Things may start flying apart at 200hp as far as I know (seriously doubt it).

I'm thinking about bolting on a turbo soon and I don't wanna over do it just yet. I'll eventually replace my weak internals with stronger aftermarket ones and then up the boost but for now I just want a little more "pep".

Anyone know the answer to my question? How much HP can the stock 420A engine handle before it needs different internals?

Reports are that you can put about 300 before having to replace pistons. Cams, valves, intake manifold, throttle body however can take/produce around 450 with the right turbo. Check out hahn race craft and their website. It has a lot information on the 420A and it's capabilities. I think they got about

Thanks man. I actually know a dealer who can get me all of the rebuild components once I need them for my engine at his cost and he even has the tools to build his own custom turbo headers (yes, he has a $40,000 mandrel pipe bender) so I can pretty much bolt on any turbo that I choose to..... I just don't know how much boost to push through before I need to start rebuilding the engine.

The stock block itself can hold quite a bit of power. The rods, rings, and pistons, however, cant. A lot of people generally agree that with smaller turbos, such as the S16G that comes in the hahn kit, that you can push about 10psi safely, which is roughly 200whp, maybe a little more. With bigger turbos such as the Garret T3/T4 you should go no more than 8psi. These numbers are pushing the limits though and you would need at the least an intercooler and bigger injectors (along with all the other things that come with the kits). Once you rebuild your engine with forged pistons and rods you can push 20-30psi w/ enough gas and with a high enough octane rating you will have plenty of power. Just be careful with the stock bottom end until you rebuild so your not stranded on the side of the street

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back