The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

How do you disable the clutch starter cutout switch thing? [Merged 10-6]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RRevolveR said:
my ? is why should this be done and how are you thrust bearings being damaged/used when compaired to how many times you actually shift while driving so then why do that?
When you're driving and shifting, the thrust bearing has a constant supply of running-temperature oil. When you're starting cold, the thrust bearing is living on whatever oil didn't drain out in the hours since it was last driven. Pressing in on the clutch before starting will tend to force out even more of that remnant of oil.
And, some of we cranky old people like to harken back to a day when the clumsy and incompetent were maimed or killed for their inattention.

I don't really want to sound like a baby, but it was pretty hard for me to crawl up under the dash with my head under the brake pedal, and I couldn't see shit.:( Does anyone have a picture of the actual plug so I know where I'm supposed to be looking in all that mess?

Thanks in advance.

You're trying to go too far. The switch cannot be touched by any human hand old enough to know what they're feeling for. However, the connector you want is right there on the bottom of the pedal hangar, and obvious as can be when you stop trying to look for the car's tonsils.

The number of cars going over cliffs will be offset by the number of stalled cars able to limp off the tracks when the train is coming.

Is this the same switch that disengages cruise or is the "cruise" switch the one to the right of the clutch switch?

Two switches. The more easily accessible switch on the right is the cruise control switch.

I am trying to figure out what I have to do to make my car where I dont have to press down on the clutch to start the car, people tell me there is a switch behind the pedal. Can anyone point me in the right direction to doing this, pics or anything?

Follow the clutch pedal, there are two white switches at the very top.. the clutch switch should be the very top one. If you unplug it you're done.

Yup, this is a awesome mod too. I love being able to start my car w/o having to push in the clutch. Just make sure you're in nuetral before turning it over! By the way, the switch is way up under the dash, so don't expect to just reach up and unplug it. It's takes a little gymnastics to get there.LOL

Under the dash on the clutch pedal assembly, there is a switch that will only allow the car to be turned on if the clutch is pushed in. Just unplug this so that you can start the car without touching the clutch, it's better for the thrust bearing. The plug is on the front side of the clutch pedal assembly, so that it is only pressed when the clutch is all the way in.

Tuners has put a whole bunch of free mods on the site i will give you the link if you already havnt done this. http://www.dsmtuners.com/tuning-guide/1gturbo/stage0power.php if you havnt done any of these i think you should. i have

Step 10: Unplug Clutch Switch
Under the dash on the clutch pedal assembly, there is a switch that will only allow the car to be turned on if the clutch is pushed in. Just unplug this so that you can start the car without touching the clutch, it's better for the thrust bearing. The plug is on the front side of the clutch pedal assembly, so that it is only pressed when the clutch is all the way in.

I tried to do this mod i found on this website under state 1: free mods, to my 2g eclipse.

I unpluged the switch connecting to the push-swich connected to the clutch peddle, as specified. But the car didn't start with/out the clutch pushed in after the mod. So I plugged the switch back in just in case and drive home. The real reason I want to do this mod is becasue the car makes a horrible sound coming from like the intake manifold area or something every time I start it. (i can only hear the sound from inside the car, no one to help me). I'm hoping it's the thrust bearing, and this mod is supposed to help that. Some times it is loud and last a few seconds and some times it is quit only lasting a second or half a second.

What am doing wrong for this mod to work?

Thanks,
Sean

edit: fixed spelling on the title. -oldman

I unplugged the one that had 2 wires on it (I think), which was the white/clear plug on the end. It might have been red and black...

... thing is I only saw 1 plug, the one I disconnected. I didn't see any other plugs or wires going to it....

what does this sound sound like? I had a similar thing...if its a sound that sounds like a swhwhhwhw swhhsshsshhssh...LOL...then that means your low on oil. I get that sound whenever im low.

Yup, i unpluged the wrong one. I found the other one, that plug is completely white. It had a blue and a black wire going to it, from the switch on the very back corner of the clutch pedel. The switch was hidden way back there. Man is it hard to get to. And I guess being 6'2" doesn't help with trying to get under the dash of the car.

Thanks for everyone's help,
Sean

im trying to get it right now...its got a clip u push in on the left side of the white block so it loosens but none on the right. Im a little scared to just pull it out...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back