The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

How do you disable the clutch starter cutout switch thing? [Merged 10-6]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm a bit tired of pressing the clutch in to start the car. I've gone under the pedals in hopes in finding the clutch start/engage button. Where is it? Help.

It's the white plug. Look way left of the clutch... it should be there. I think it has green and white wires... definitely a green wire at least. I would go outside and look, but it is LATE, and cold too. I'm pretty sure it's the only plug in that area too. If not, what's the worst that could happen if you unplug the wrong thing? Just plug it back in. Post back if you get it. Or I can take a look tomorrow and post a pic if you need.

Originally posted by blwn2g
I'm a bit tired of pressing the clutch in to start the car. I've gone under the pedals in hopes in finding the clutch start/engage button. Where is it? Help.
It can't be found. You can feel it, barely. It's way the hell up on the front side of the pedal lever hangar.

However, to disconnect it, you can unplug the connector on the _back_ of the pedal assembly, right up there in front of your nose.

Sorry I took so long to get back to ya....I've been messing with my clutch for the last couple days, but heres the pic.

Sorry...it might suck....i cant figure out how to shrink it without cropping it.....there is a spring right by the clutch pedal, and the switch is right there....and it does have a green wire.

I havent been able to get the pic to post for some reason:confused: But, if you look at your clutch pedal, follow it up as far as you can, and the switch should be right there. its BIG & WHITE. Unplug it. I'll try to post the pic now. If it doesn't work.....you can PM me with your e-mail and i'll send it that way.

If you unplug the switch, use your cruise control, then tap the clutch to turn off the cruise. What will happen?
A.) cruise keeps going and if you press hard enough engine races.... or
B.) another component tells the cruise to turn off.

Originally posted by Mack
If you unplug the switch, use your cruise control, then tap the clutch to turn off the cruise. What will happen?
A.) cruise keeps going and if you press hard enough engine races.... or
B.) another component tells the cruise to turn off.

B.) There's a separate switch for the clutch CC shutoff. The start switch has nothing to do with it.

C.) If you're so vapor-headed as to hit the clutch in CC, you should go back to Yugos.

Originally posted by clownface
what do you mean the brakes turn off? explain?:confused:

cruise control can be shut off in 3 ways

1-the obvious, turning it off
2-hitting the brake
3-hitting the gas

instead of turning it off when you want to speed up, you just accelerate and it turns off. when u have to slow down, instead of hitting the button to turn it off, u just brake and it turns it off

Originally posted by Defiant
B.) There's a separate switch for the clutch CC shutoff. The start switch has nothing to do with it.
I didn't know if there was or not, so thanks. My thinking was if there wasn't, someone might forget what they're doing and try to downshift to catch up to a hottie only to see yourself redline.

Yo guys, i want to siconnect my clutch switch so dat i do not need to press it to start my car. I have a 98 awd tsi. I tried findin the switch by the pedal but there are just too many wires and i need help from somebody who has done this and photos would be great!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanx guys

happy dsmin :talon:

Please type as though you were a human adult.

Don't look for the plug up by the switch, you probably can't get to it on a 2G. Instead, look at the rear part of the pedal hangar assembly, just to the rear of the clutch pedal arm. There's a white connector right there that has wires leading up to the top of the pedal, on the right side. That's the one you want to unplug. It has the usual pushbutton-lock on it.

I just had mitsu reset my ecu for $35 bucks, b/c my dad started my car when the MAF sensor was disconnected. And I want to disconect the clutch switch but am curious if it will cause the CEL to come on?
Thanx guys!

Just disconnect the battery and let it sit for a while so that it resets the ecu. This will clear any codes as long as they are not triggered again.

As for the clutch safety switch, that will not throw a CEL.

-T

I searched and only found the answer for 2Gs and I also looked on vfaq. How do I do it on a 1G?

A bit easier on a 1G, because you can see and reach the switch. Just gotta stick your head in there while wearing a miner's hat.

Attachments

• untitled-1 copy.jpg
    untitled-1 copy.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 422
My clutch switch seems to be bad. I can have it plugged in or out & the car will still start. The stutter box fuction works with it plugged in or out. Therefore with the switch staying in an open constant my 3 step hits at 6k. Which is my programmed set 3 step fuction. I have a stutter box (dsmchips) it works with the clutch switch plugged in & also works with it unplugged, so I beleive my switch is stuck in a constant open. Where can I find a replacement switch? Any part number?

Thanks, sorry for the long explanation.
Turbo Rob

look at a junkyard....even although you maybe against looking for junkyard parts.....its $104 at napa autoparts for it and they have it on shelf most the time(p.s. the breaklight switch screws into the same place and its $11 if ya wanna try it)

hey any of you guys now where and how to take off the clutch switch so i can turn my car on without the clutch and reducing the chance of crank walk.

i think i found the switchi once i couldnt disconnect it cuz i didnt have enough room for my hand. if you did to your car di you have a hard time disconnecting it?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back