The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

How do you disable the clutch starter cutout switch thing? [Merged 10-6]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys i am trying to unplug the switch that makes you have to push in your clutch to turn on your car. I thought it was the grey, white and black plug. But, i could only unplug the grey and white part not the black part. When i unplugged just the grey and white plug the car wouldn't start. So, does it have to be the black part also? Thanks

P.S.- i tried the tech guide but the link for the video wouldn't work

So I tried the trick to start the car without having to push in the clutch. I pulled the plug and started it and everything worked fine. I wanted to check to see if anybody has done it and has had any long term ill effects or anything, or is it safe to leave it unplugged?

Ben :talon:

I have had mine unplugged for 6 months or so now.. i read somewhere that its a good idea to kind of ward off crankwalk since you dont have to push the clutch in each time and stress the crankshaft... i may be wrong though..

There's no long term "ill effects" from removing the plug as far as the car is concerned. As a matter of fact it might (but hasn't been confirmed) that it will help out the thrust bearing as it allows time for the oil to pressurize and make it's way through that particular area before you apply pressure with the clutch.

On the other hand, one drawback is that you or someone else run the risk of damaging something if you start the car while it's still in gear and the parking brake is not engaged.

no ill effects, your just turning off an electronic saftey precaution for IDIOTS WHO KEEP THEIR CARS IN GEAR!

Its called a PARKING Brake for a reason.

where exactly is this switch, picture? if you do unplug it can you still press in the clutch and start the car...or if you have it in gear you could start it with the clutch in and still have the switch unplugged?

The awnser LRS95TSI is "Yes." Anyone with a remote starter...like myself has this unplugged, the clutch works just like if it were plugged in, but if its not in gear you can start it without the clutch in...but on mine I had a dummy relay put in so that it wouldnt work unless the car was in nutreal, and had the e-brake up. Also it does put less wear on the thrust bearing like Jim(formontoya) said.

Dustin

im not sure about drag strips near you guys but the one i go to wont let me race unless the clutch sensor is working and the car wont start with the clutch pedal out. just something to keep in mind.

Well you can just plug it back in before going to the stripe. No biggie there.

Dustin

dsmclipse97 said:
im not sure about drag strips near you guys but the one i go to wont let me race unless the clutch sensor is working and the car wont start with the clutch pedal out. just something to keep in mind.
And to think it used to be about racing. Damned lawyers.

This topic has been repeatedly posted in the past. There is also a Tech article with a movie about how to unplug the switch.

this allows time for the oil to pressurize and make it's way through that particular area before you apply pressure with the clutch. So how long should you wait for it to pressurize after starting the car?

... what the hell. Is the 2g CC really different from every cruise control I've ever seen? Normally when you hit the gas, the car will accelerate normally, and then when you let of the gas, it will continue to cruise at the previously specified speed.

I think that you are wrong about that. The clutch does typically have a different switch to shut off cruise control as well, seperate of the neutral safety switch

Well I have read a lot of the threads on this and they all just say it's a white connector.

I've looked and the white connector I found has several wires on it....more than I would think is necessary for the switch but maybe not.

I just want to make sure I have the right one....it's a PITA to get to and I don't want to screw things up.

I figured this thread was a good as any to reply to.....sorry about the resurection.

95TalonOwner said:
Damn, talk about resurrecting a thread.

Even after all this time there are still no pictures of how to go about this...

95TalonOwner said:
Just unplug it and see what happens. If its not the right one, then plug it back in. It's a simple procedure.

Well I'm not a 140lb teenager....not saying you are....but like I said above....it is a PITA to get to....at least for me. I turned 30 on Monday, give me a break.

So I just ask a simple question....how many wires?

Maybe this will be an easier questions, are there more than 2 wires on the plug?

If it's just a switch then disconnect the 2 wires from it and connect them together with a crimp connector. I'm only guessing as I do not have a wiring diagram in front of me.

If it is one wire then you have to add a device that simulates the same signal from the switch probably just a simple ohm load.

I've been looking for that answer! Awesome

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back