The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

How do you disable the clutch starter cutout switch thing? [Merged 10-6]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sounds like you unplugged the wrong thing, post a pic or keep trying until you get it.

You were rigth i did unplugged the wrong one but i got it now, so what exactly does this help and if it's not neccesary to step on the clutch then why do people design cars forcing you to step on the clutch?

Because if you can start your car without pushing in the clutch the car will "lurch" if you forget. This.. besides possibly causing damage like your car slamming into a wall or a parking block, could mean instead of messing up your car you are going to run over someone.... safety precaution.

Although I do it for my own remote starter and for the crankwalk myth. I don't leave my car in gear when I park it unless it's on a hill.

Very very good point, now i feel very very stupid, so how does it benefit in horsepower wise unplugging the clutch switch?

Ummm, none what so ever.
Your car simply doesn't require you to step on the clutch when you start your car.
Just make sure you're in neutral before you start your car please....

.00000000001 hp due to weight reduction by removing the wire. just kidding. you do not get any more power.

96eclipsegst#1 said:
You were rigth i did unplugged the wrong one but i got it now, so what exactly does this help and if it's not neccesary to step on the clutch then why do people design cars forcing you to step on the clutch?
Because the government wants stupid people to be alive, pay their taxes, breed and make even more brainless taxpayers.
Why else would "safety" demand federal fiat?

Defiant said:
Because the government wants stupid people to be alive, pay their taxes, breed and make even more brainless taxpayers.
Why else would "safety" demand federal fiat?

Only stupid people are breeding. Didnt you hear the Harvey Danger song?

A thrust bearing is a pain in the ass to get to. So if you can save the trouble of replacing it, go for it. I didnt do it in my wifes car because she is blonde.

We race a stock car besides the GSX I have and I dont know how many times Ive reached in the window and hit the start button. I always make shure its in nuetral tho LOL.

I was under my dash about to unplug mine but i see two that look exactly the same? And there is a brown velcro around both. Which one is it? Ive watched the video in the tech articles but i only saw one switch in his car.

SkinnyBAM said:
I was under my dash about to unplug mine but i see two that look exactly the same? And there is a brown velcro around both. Which one is it? Ive watched the video in the tech articles but i only saw one switch in his car.

its going to be the one that the clutch hits while its all the way down :thumb:

or just follow Defiant's advise, you have a 50-50 chance LOL :laser:

you should always get into the habit of pressing in the clutch before starting the car.

if youre too lazy to do that, you shouldnt be driving a manual ya hoser.

I thought I read somewhere that if you unplug this, it could help prevent crankwalk on 2g turboed eclipse/talons because of less stress on the engine.

Anybody know for sure?

Don't unplug the clutch switch. I bet your a very smart person and I am in no way questioning your intelligence. But let's say you forget to have the car in neutral when starting with the clutch safety switch unplugged, what if you hit a person or another car for that matter? Keeping it plugged in will save you that risk. + Your going to have to press the clutch in through every gear anyways, why not when you start it up also?

crxp-o-s4now said:
+ Your going to have to press the clutch in through every gear anyways, why not when you start it up also?
Because there's only residual oil on the face of the crankshaft thrust bearing when the motor's stopped.
It's not really complicated. Touch the gearshift with your right hand on the way to putting in the key. Easy to confirm you're in neutral.
Hitting the starter with the car in gear will seldom start it, but doing it once will keep you from ever doing it again.

SkinnyBAM said:
I was under my dash about to unplug mine but i see two that look exactly the same?

It's the switch that should be located in the red circle.(it's missing in the picture)

- treebonker

Attachments

• pdl.jpg
    pdl.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 238
treebonker said:
It's the switch that should be located in the red circle.(it's missing in the picture)
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

- treebonker

Thanks for the picture:thumb:

Excellent photo. The next thing you'll find is that human hands cannot reach that switch. However, the wire that leads to it has a connector just under the the bracket assembly. It's the one with the big, pointy fangs all ready to bite you while you're looking for it.

on the free mod list it says unplug the wire* that makes it so that you have to engage your clutch to start the car so you don't have to and can just turn it over. my ? is why should this be done and how are you thrust bearings being damaged/used when compaired to how many times you actually shift while driving so then why do that?
-thanks-

There can be a problem with that if you live in a hilly area. Say you get use to starting your car like it's an automatic and it's in park all the time. Then one day your parked on a hill and you pull the e-brake and put the car in gear. You come back to your car and are talking on your phone not paying attention and start your car. BAMMM your car jumps and hits the the parking beam on the ground and your car is screwed up!!

Not trying to be stupid but mistakes happen and that one would suck!! But it's your call and sometimes I just don't trust myself....:D

I use that as a crankwalk pre-caution on my 7-bolt. Just my opinion though.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back