The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Resolved How do I replace the coolant temp sensor?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JiveMasterT

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 3, 2004
Chest of Westerson, New_York
My coolant temperature sensor went bad and I need to replace it and I was wondering where it is and how do I replace it? I tried to get a shop manual but no one around here seems to have one and I really need to do this this weekend. Lemme know! Thanks.

Solution
JiveMasterT said:
alright so i called my autoparts store and they dont have it, so i called up satan and they said that they have one for the gauge and one for the computer? Which one do I need? What is the difference?

edit...
also, the code it threw up from the CEL was...
P0115:
Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit

and my temperature gauge in the car showed dead flat across and my logger showed 172-176 degrees. I don't know which one it would be.
Codes only come from the ECU. The ECU doesn't give a shit what the little needle wiping your nose is doing. You need the one for the computer.
The coolant temperature sensor is on the thermostat housing. The sensor just threads in and out so install/removal is as easy as it gets.

Attachments

• Coolant Sensor.JPG
    Coolant Sensor.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 1,275
oh awesome! thanks so much!

any idea on how much the part will cost?

Online, i've gotten listings anywhere from $16 to $35 but generally around $20 or so on average.

Oh a side note.. I got an aftermarket temp gauge because with the front mount my car may have an even higher tendency to overheat (my stock gauge isn't accurate, the logger will show a 220 temp if I use it in the summer occaisionally to check) Is it stupid to leave the stock gauge connected and also use the aftermarket gauge to hook up to that temp probe? Also I got a probe with the gauge, is there a better place to tap it than others? I saw a fitting that would slide in the upper radiator hose, and it sounds like the best way to go at it without having to tap anymore holes. So far compressions etc is good, but I don't want to warp my head if the temps shoot even higher this summer when i'm stuck in traffic and I don't find out until it's too late.

hmm. ok, do you guys thing I could pick this thing up at an autoparts store or do i need to go to SATAN?

They should all be universal, so as long as your autoparts store would carry it, then you should be fine.

rice_rocket said:
They should all be universal, so as long as your autoparts store would carry it, then you should be fine.

alright so i called my autoparts store and they dont have it, so i called up satan and they said that they have one for the gauge and one for the computer? Which one do I need? What is the difference?

edit...
P0115:

and my temperature gauge in the car showed dead flat across and my logger showed 172-176 degrees. I don't know which one it would be.

m1nd64m3 said:
Then it is the sensor for the gauge. That sensor is the one next to it, and i believe it only has one wire coming off of it(not sure)

wait, the sensor that is circled in the picture is for the gauge? then there is another sensor right next to it for the ECU? I guess I gotta go out there an look at it today. can someone show me a picture of where the ecu temp sensor is? Thanks.

sheesh, this went from being a simple 30 min job to the most confusing thing ever! LOL.

The ECU's temperatur sensor is the bigger looking unit mounted to the immediate top of the original picture.

Dan7040 said:
The ECU's temperatur sensor is the bigger looking unit mounted to the immediate top of the original picture.

alright, cool. and that is changed the same way? just unscrew it and then screw in the new one (with teflon thread sealant)? I might just do a tech article writeup for this.

JiveMasterT said:
alright, cool. and that is changed the same way? just unscrew it and then screw in the new one (with teflon thread sealant)? I might just do a tech article writeup for this.

LOL A tech write up for unscrew the old and screw in the new? You should also do one on how to check oil level on the dip stick. :p

oldman said:
LOL A tech write up for unscrew the old and screw in the new? You should also do one on how to check oil level on the dip stick. :p

you'd be suprised at what people are incapable of :thumb:

but seriously, the tech article would mostly be for diagnosing which probe is bad and how to replace the proper one. ill run some tests tonight or tomorrow and post back here when and if i decide to write the article.

they hayes manuals have how to test the sensors. they are all ohm related based on the actual temp... so gl

JiveMasterT said:

edit...
P0115:

Codes only come from the ECU. The ECU doesn't give a shit what the little needle wiping your nose is doing. You need the one for the computer.

Solution
Defiant said:

LOL, thanks for that very discriptive reply. alright, ill go pick up the part on monday and ill post here if i got another question. thanks for all the help everyone.

JiveMasterT said:
LOL, thanks for that very discriptive reply. alright, ill go pick up the part on monday and ill post here if i got another question. thanks for all the help everyone.

alright, it's installed, just gotta wait for the permatex to cure over night and then ill do the write up (with pictures!) just because it might be helpful for when someone else has this question...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back