The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

How did you Fall in love with Dsm's

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I don't think anybody really falls in love with their dsm. I think it's more along the lines of the car seduces you and then screws you for your money.

Well when I was 16 my friend had a vtech prelude that I thought was fast. He told me about the Eclipse GSX that was faster and better than his prelude and that he was going to get one. I was trying to convince my 15 year old brother to buy one but he wanted a camaro v8 or nova. One day we where watching a cop show with high speed chases and there was a 1G talon modded that had gotten away from cops in three states. The guy driving wanted to prove to his friend that he could out run cops in his car. He slows down to about 15mph with the cops about to ram his ass, he hits the gas and he was gone. Couldnt even see him, then when the cops keep going they see his talon upside down on the side of the road. After that my brother bought one and I had to buy one. Fell in love when I first drove it.

A 1G gsx beat me drag racing while I was in my 68' charger. Too bad he missed shift he had me.

I grew up strictly mopar, and hated eclipses. As I matured I grew more towards the mitsubishi community. After owning my Stealth TT for a few years, my friend got a slightly modded 92 GSX. We raced and I couldn't believe the results. He hung all through 2nd before I left him, and I was sold.

eclipsegsx1736 said:
I think it first started from "that movie" (won't mention the name, I can't stand it now). I used to like it, and the Eclipse was my favorite car. I started reading about them, learned about the turbo and AWD version (this was in 9th grade i think), and wanted one for 2 years after that. I knew exactly the car I wanted, and after 2 years of being obsessed with them, reading about them for hours at night, going to some of the DSM meets before I had the car, getting really excited when I would see a turbo Eclipse driving around, I finally got one. :thumb: Nothing like wanting something very specific SOO badly for 2 years and getting the EXACT thing you wanted. I was so happy. I still stare at it for a while sometimes after I park it in the garage, even after owning it for over a year. :dsm: :talon: :laser:

jeez man, you and me have the same story...like exactly..... freaky. and our cars are both white and AWD.

I litteraly stare at my car...for the pure enjoyment and satisfaction of owning the thing i dreamt about for two years since 9th grade. Its the reason i got a job, saved up, and bought it jr. year. Its the reason I have my job now. (mistu parts adivsor) I have put so much effort, love, and passion into my car....that i honestly think it returns the favors. You couldnt imagin how much this car has done for me. I dont know where I'd be with out "her"

on long nights after working on it, i plop in the driver seat....drop back and fall asleep, nothing better then waking up sunday morrning in your car with the sun commign through the garage window. start her up, hit up some dunkin donuts coffee, the junk yard and an afternoon DSM meet. (based on a true event)

"call me crazy, call me nuts,... call me a DSM'er"

I got into them when i was tryin to get a car a year or so ago, friend of mine had(still does) a 1G AWD. i sat in the car and felt how it pulled with minimal mods. i was hooked. he found me one, i drove to college station to get it. the minute i sat in the driver seat, i was hooked, the minute i drove it. . .i was in love. i love the pull, the style, the sound, everything.

all the 3/s guys were saying, "if you want a good daily driver, get a dsm" I couldn't afford a 3/s so I got a dsm. I had no idea about anything except I wanted awd. I picked up this car for 2200, and ever since I found tuners, I've been learning as much as I can to make this thing king of the road. I think most of my drive comes from people calling my car a pos because they are ignorant. Now everyone calls it a fast pos, but I still can't get rid of the pos title. I painted the car, it runs flawlessly, its really fast for a highschooler's car, and I still get the pos comments. People are so stupid. I guess Ill just have to spray pavement in their faces before they will believe me.

It's weird, the very very very first car i EVER wanted before i was even interested in cars or knew anything about them was an eclipse. I remember i was in like 6th grade and i saw a green 2gb eclipse with a turbo spoiler and loved the stubby look of it. Who knew i would actually end up owning something like it.

Rode in a 96 tsi when I was 14. Bought my 95 n/t talon at 15. Had that a year, rode in a 91 gsx. He launched. I shit my pants. Then came along my 1st 1g awd. Never looked back since.

Let's see, I first read about a DSM back in high school, like '98, and it was a picture and article of the "new" at the time 2g. I drove a truck then, (and still do), and thought, "It looks like a girl car." Fast forward to second year of college, I have sold my truck and need a car to go back and forth from college with. DSM's are in the back of my mind, and then my dad's co-worker decides he wants to sell his bone stock 1992 Talon TSi, so he can get a truck. The price is right, and I pick it up not knowing sh!t about them. After poking around DSM.org for a while, Chris starts DSMTuners, I sign up, and the rest is history. I just got lucky my dad's friend wasn't selling the 2g girl car.:p :shhh: :tease: 2g's

Later,
Dana:talon:

mkgearhead said:
It started when my mother-in-law got a new '91 GSX. I was a mechanic at the time and the only one she would trust with her car. 4 years later she bought a new '95 GSX. I did the timing belt twice (at 60k and 120k). I finally got my own DSM last year. My son bought a '90 GST and I got jealous. I got on Ebay and got a '93 GS for $300. It was only 40 miles from my house. I got it home and found the timing belt was off a couple of teeth. I re-timed it and it started but had a miss. It had a burned valve (exhaust manifold runner on #3 was cracked all the way around). I pulled the head, slammed in a valve and added a turbo intake cam and a header, and it ran like a new one. About 3 weeks later a '90 GST exactly like my son's car came up on Ebay. It was about 5 miles from the first one I bought. I got it for $500. The cam seals went bad and soaked the timing belt with oil. The teeth stripped off the belt while the former owner was trying to start it. I got it home, replaced the cam seals and timing belt and it started right up! No bent valves:rocks: Last summer some kid asked if I would sell the '93. I sold it to him for $2350 (I had $750 into it!). Last summer, I came across a '91 Talon TSI AWD On Ebay. He said he would trade for my dirt bike. The car was in Missouri and I'm in Colorado. We were going to my wife's grandparents' house in Kansas for Labor Day weekend, so we loaded the bike on the car dolly and off we went. Fast forward to February of this year. I'm looking around at local classifieds online and find my '93 GS for sale for $750. I bought it back and I'm still $850 ahead. I just got the Talon running about a month ago. So now i have 3 DSM's. I don't know if it's a love affair or a twisted obsession. If you have a DSM, you'd better have a back-up ride. I have 2. LOL

My love of DSM's started about the same time as my dads did (i am the son that is being refered to in the quoted post) when my grandma got a 1991 GSX. When she moved on to the 1995 GSX one of the first things i said when she got it was "I'm going to own that car one day." I fell in love with it the way it pushed me back in to the seat when she was getting ont he highway, the wind from the sunroof, just everything about that car was beautiful. Fast forward to 2003 i ended up buying it from my grandma who saved it for me because she knew that i was gonna buy that car someday. I picked it up for 7100 with 200 a month payments, and then the worst thing in my DSM life happend i totaled my baby that i was working so hard to pay for (i was 16 making pizzas at dominos pizza for minimum wage so 200 a month was a strech with my car insurance and everthing els.) Fast forward again to 2006 I needed a car that I could actually drive on the highway because the 87 suzuki samari would only do about 60 if i was lucky, my dad and I went lot hopping on a sunday and sitting on a lot down on colfax was this 1990 eclipse GS-T. Seeing that car brought back all the fun i had in the 95 but there was a problem it wasnt for sale yet do to a bad turbo i was crushed, but my dad being how he is told me to take the number of the place down and call about it on monday. Monday comes around and i call the dealership and find out that he will sell it to me for 500$ and by the end of that week it was sitting in my parents driveway:rocks: :dsm: now i have a new project i picked up a 1997 GS with a full greddy exhaust system, aem cam gears, N.O.S nitrous system, and an Injen Intake for a grand total of 850 dollers, it starts but wont stay started.

Thus is the story of my love/Obession with DSM's:thumb: :dsm: :talon: :laser:

I was looking for something with AWD and a decent set of basic capabilities that was cheap enough (initially!) for a project car for a person who is too young for the mid-life crisis supercar. All of you guys spreading information on maintenance/upgrading is what sold me on the concept of having a DSM- free technical support for life, what's that worth?? A ton, to me. The "love" part is probably just Stockholm Syndrome, spend enough time and blood, and eventually you identify with your DSM. Or is it that you realize you love Big Brother just before you get capped in the back of the head? Anyway, it's kinda fun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_Syndrome

Back in 2001, i went to a car spot down in manassas, virginia and i was talking to a guy with a 95 or 96 gst who had just gotten the motor rebuilt and had a 16g with all the supporting mods running a lil over 20psi. He was selling it and i was in the market for a car so he took me for a ride and i was HOOKED. But i didn't like the excessive wheelspin. So i decided i was gonna get an awd dsm.

Fast forward to 2003, my first year of college, i picked up a 98 Tsi Awd and now it's my money pit and has turned me into a mechanic.

Well my brother first got a 97 gsx when he was 17, I was 14 at the time and was in LOVE with his car. He started modding it and had a mutt lvl 2 and all supporting mods, it ran like shit because it had mad boost leaks cause he is a cheap ass and used those big plastic cupplers for pvc pipe that you get at home depot, instead of nice silicone cupplers.

Anyways, I would log in under his name on dsmtalk and read for hours and decided on the car that I wanted. Finally when my 16th b-day came around I bought a 91 tsi awd for cheap. I did the typical mods to it, and a few years later I got the 99 gsx.

Damn this brings back some good memories.

Back in April of 2002, I was shopping around for cars. At the time I had a 91 Ford Ranger that was unwillingly given to me to take over payments on :notgood: . So, I figured, if I had to get a job to pay for that, then I was going to trade it on something I liked.

I knew nothing about cars. I wanted to get a 94-up Integra, put a kit on it, rims, lights, you name it. After realizing I wasn't too keen on driving manual, I ran into my 1st car at a dealership. Now, mind you I overpayed for it and all of that good stuff...if it wasn't for seeing that car, I don't know what I'd be doing now. It was a black/grey 95 Eclipse GS. It was in beautiful condition.

After getting over wanting to put a body kit on that as well, I found DSMtuners.com that same month, and mostly thanks to this site, I know everything I know today. After driving the GS for almost 2 years, I bought a 93 Talon TSi. That's what REALLY got me hooked. I love DSMs. I tried to step away from them...twice...and I came back both times.

Where do I start for my love of the dsm? Well it all started back in High school during auto mechanics class when my buddy was looking for a car, At the time I had a 97 Dodge Ram 2500 (loaner from my dad) and a 1969 Dodge Charger R/T (I loved the car so much my dad gave it to me). We would talk about all different types of cars but there was that one car he would keep talking about, A Laser, I had no clue what the hell a laser was but he said it was turbo’d and a good car for the money, I kind of blew it off but told em to get what he wanted. Anyway I still needed a daily driver, So my parents told me about a 91 Eagle Talon, My dad was trying to like con me into this thing because it was cheap or least for him since they were going to buy me a car and I pay them back.. And it was a friend of his that was selling this thing, but I turned it down because I couldn’t stand the bump on the hood and sadly enough said you can’t even put a body kit on it… To make a long story short, a few months later F&F came out and I seen the 2g Eclipse, I wanted that car, no joke, I was all about rice im not going to lie, but I still was wanting a Honda civic =\ But then the day came were my buddy took me for a ride in his new laser, Hearing that whoosh noise from the turbo and bov going along with the pull that car hard I so wanted it. I then bought a 96 Talon ESi thinking “oh ill just swap motors” it’s the same car… well after reading up and finding out that’s pointless I got a 95 FWD TSi project car and well AWD got the best of me so I sold it and got a 95 AWD TSi. This car is by far the best bang for your buck. I love it and can only hope I still own one 10 years from now.

It all started in 98' I first saw one very clean Eclipse. I always liked the body style, didn't know much about turbos till I was 16 and the only eclipse I would buy would be a turbo model. Around 01' I started looking for a GST or GSX, GSX were still expensive and I worked whole year to save up my money and right out of high school I bought my first DSM Eclipse GST Spyder. I loved the turbo and I learn everything to maintain the car with no problems. I knew of this site but didn't want to register because I had suck internet connection and after a year I had an accident and total the car. Insurance gave me close to 13k and I could of purchase any other car but DSM are still sexy to me so I went and bought a GST hardtop. I looked everywhere for a GSX and the only ones I found where in crappy colors and I couldn't wait any longer so that's where I stand right now.

97' GST with plenty of mods and powah!

Well it all started for me when i was a freshmen in high school. My friend was in the market for a new car as he had blown up his blazer for the last time LOL. Well I hadnt talked to him in a few weeks when he called me up to go snowboarding. I'll never forget waiting outside my house for him to come pick me up when about a 1/4 mile down my street I hear this loud roar followed by a pshhhhhh and I see the most gorgeous car I have ever seen in my life. He pulls up in a fully built, amazing red 96 eagle talon tsi awd. I had no previous knowledge of DSM's or what they could do but once i had seen his car and gone for a ride in it I was hooked. That was two years ago and since that one day I have been reading/looking/ and dreaming of this car every single day for the past two years. I kid you not. I have now been in the market for a 95-96 eagle talon tsi awd for the past 5 months with no luck on any decent ones. My friends and family have told me more times than I can count to give up and find something else, but no, I will never give up. I'm a DSM'er and thats all there is to it. I know that sounds mad corny, but thats how it is.

my love for dsm's start back in 99 i was about 11 or 12 when i saw the commerical for one and i was like that car look nice for an import. couple days later i saw a 95 eclipse racing a civic and all i heard was the bov and seen him fly by my dads truck going down toward allentown. then a few years later that movie came out and i was like there is that car i seen in a commerical and after seeing the movie i was hooked on them. then a year or to passed and my friends now ex girlfriend had a 98 gst auto and she took me for a ride in it and i was impressed(me being a v8 head for most of my life) and now after doing all my research on 4g63 motors and seeing the power they can put down i am now in the process of buying a built 90 talon tsi awd for 6k from a friend of mine because he no longer has the time for it since he just bought a 03 evo 8. i am a dsmer for the rest of my life

I fell in love with DSMs when i saw 99gst_racer's car. We live in a small town in michigan and NO ONE around here has real nice cars. I actually didn't even really car about cars in general at all. His 1st car made me fall in love with cars. He had a playstation and screen and some other stuff. Nothing tooooo crazy. His current car made me want a DSM more than anything in the world(next to an EVO of course). Once i found out that Eclipses come from the factory with a Turbo and AWD i began looking for one. I had been looking for a WRX but then i found out what a GSX was. At the time i had a 2004 Lancer OZ rally edition, but it was too slow. I looked for about a year then finally settled with my 97 GST. Shortly after i found out was a DSM was and what DSMtuners was. I wish i would have known way earlier. I would have probably bought a Talon TSI AWD and done a 2Gb eclipse conversion or put a blitz kit on. Or someone on here could have helped me find a GSX. My GST just has to last me though the rest of college then i'll be rollin' in an EVO X!!!

and...

if you guys haven't seen 99gst_racer's car. i HIGHLY suggest checking his profile out. He's a moderator on here too.

August 2005, I was really hoping to find a car that my dad would aprrove of and buy for me. It had to be stick and around 5k. Well I found a Saturn SL1 and when I went to go look at it w/ my dad we found out that it was sold but they had another car around the same price range and it was stick. It was a 95 Eagle Talon. As soon as I heard what it was I knew I had to get that one. And after looking at the car and my dad taking it for a test drive we bought it. (He told me later that he knew that if he didnt get that car, I would not enjoy the car that I would of gotten instead). Well later on I was searching google found dsmtuners.com and have been in love with DSM's since.

I feel in love with a silver '95 Eclipse GSX that my cousin's boyfriend had about ten years ago. It was always clean and looked SOO nice. I finally bought a 95 Talon last year and have been in love it ever since.

well it all started when i went to a frainds shop and he drives a 1g talon awd and i asked him i want a car that was turbo why cus i never had one and allways wanted a turbo on my s-10 2.2 but could not find a kit for it so after my truck got stolin i need a car then i meet this guy named rhon who asked what kind of car do u want o and tnt tim dsm was allwhell drive havent drove it yet so rhon asked if i wanted one of thos i said no. ther ulgly and have toomany probs . so tim said yah but ther faster then a civic i said but ther haver
he said yah but by the time u turbo it u can have 2 if not 3 dsms i said o well 2 weeks i got a call thay were like we found u a ca man . i saok how much he said its a laser i said whit is that he said well its 175 and need a timing belt and the turbo is gone well . i said whit is a laser he was like it a 1 g i was like no he said it the one whit flep up lights i was like maybe well i bout the car. had to put a new head on him yah its not a girl cus hes got some balls then i had to rebiuld the turbo then the time cam for me to drive i was happy started eypon up loud cus crack header and the flex down pip is gone i drove eypon home when i hit boost wow i think i hit boost too ya no . tell the 6 mouths i have had eypon i stel need a down pip ...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back