The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

How a Flywheel is resurfaced

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BogusSVO

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 1, 2009
Pensacola, Florida
How To Resurface a Flywheel

I need to replace the clutch, and I want a “new” clutch surface on my flywheel so the clutch will operate problem free.

The first step is to have the flywheel cleaned of oil , grease and grime.
This flywheel is in decent shape minimal warp and few hot spots

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I found my Ford Dark Blue Spray Paint!!

Next is to mount the flywheel to the machine
Move the flywheel under the grinding stone, and touch off….

Each pass is only .002 -.003 deep per cut

See the sparks?

Now that we have a good surface for the clutch disc to mate too…

One last thing to do is to knock in the pressure plate alignment pins

All done

yes it is a stone grinding wheel/cup, there is another attachment to use if the flywheel is very worn, it is a Carbide cutter, you use that first then go to the grinding stone for the finish surface.

Jeff, it is not all that much more to do, What the 4G63 runs is called a step flywheel.
So once the clutch disk mating area is surfaced, using either a depth mic or a dial indacator, measure up from the disk surface, to the clutch plate mating surface, do the math and figure out how much has to be cut from the plate mating surface to bring it back into spec. Then machine that amout off and reinstall the clutch plate aligment pins.
IF a good amout had to be surfaced, appox .020 or more, or it is been the 2nd or more time being surfaced, there are flywheel shims made to restore clutch alignment.
It is a basic shim that gets bolted between the crank end and the flywheel.
Surfacing a flywheel moves both the clutch disk away from the input splines of the trand and also move the clutch plate away from the throwout bearing therfore moving the throw out bearing fork away from the clutch slave cylinder, causing disengaugemet issues, due to the extra distance the slave cylinder rod has to travel.

IF a good amout had to be surfaced, appox .020 or more, or it is been the 2nd or more time being surfaced, there are flywheel shims made to restore clutch alignment.
It is a basic shim that gets bolted between the crank end and the flywheel.

Do you know? or Does anyone know of a shim made for our 4G63 Flywheels? Or is it Just a more common to just shim the clutch fork/pivot ball?

Very Nice, I just did that a few months ago on my GSX.

Bogus, what's your opinion/thoughts on a fairly competent machinist/fab guy (not a trained engine machinist mind you just general machining) Using say a 1.5'' flycutter/surfacing bit (carbide insert style) and a rotary table on the mill to surface a flywheel? I did my own and got an exact .610 step and a decent finish (i was broke or would have paid th 50 to send it out)

but it was easy, came out level and nice, is there anything wrong or bad about me doing them this way given i use proper technique and such?

Glenn, as long as it came out parelle to the crank flange mount, and has a non-directional finish, you will be fine.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back