1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G Hole inside bell housing.

Posted by jakk220, Jun 23, 2019

Please Support Feal Suspension
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. jakk220

jakk220 Proven Member

Joined Nov 13, 2010
    Akron, Ohio
    Ok so this is a new one for me. After a launch and pull I drove my car home and parked it in the garage. Car ran fine and shifted fine when I shut it off. No weird noises. So I come out the next morning to a long line of gear oil leading up to my garage. Always a good sign.

So I get under the car with no obvious signs of where the leak is. I put my hand inside the clutch fork hole and pull out chunks of aluminum. So I pull the transmission and see this little guy.

IMG_20190623_182627.jpg

I also found a chunk of what appears to be a piece of one of the 4 Spyder diff gears. So it looks like a diff gear let lose and shot out. Splendid.

I'm not a transmission guy, but what are the odds of being able to rebuild a new 4 Spyder, swap bell housings, and that's all the more damage there is?
    Or do when diffs let lose they usually take out other things? Hopefully shep has the parts lying around to build me a new one. Sad thing is this one is still pretty new.

Attached Files:

190  1

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

980  3

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 1K  1

1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  2. nismojones

nismojones Proven Member

Joined Jan 10, 2008
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    The biggest gear (front diff) is right there, I’d likely say thats what came through. There are spiders in there as well

3. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    If it wheel hopped it likely broke the front diff, Shep doesn't do much of anything with Dsm's anymore though.

Drag Race Build 2K  16

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  4. Crackerman

Crackerman Proven Member

Joined Feb 28, 2018
    Alvord, Texas
    Any piece of foreign object, wether a gear tooth, pin from a phantom grip, or broken shifter bits, will roll around inside that main ring gear (it's the oil pump in this case) and blow out wherever the bit decides to Lodge. It may just need jb weld, it may need a complete rebuild...

5. jakk220

jakk220 Proven Member

Joined Nov 13, 2010
    Akron, Ohio
    Yeah I'm working on getting the wheel hop under control. I don't notice much wheel hop anymore after I did the motor mounts, but before I did them it was severely wheel hopping. So the gear was probably fatigued from that.

Shep will still do my trans for me so long as I don't open it up on my own or take it anywhere else. I just had them rebuild it 2 Summers ago.

190  1

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

980  3

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 1K  1

1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  6. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Supporting VIP

Joined Jan 5, 2012
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    That's a bummer, but if Shep will work on it that's awesome.

I'll agree that wheel hop is probably your culprit here, diffs no likey.

If you need some parts I have a couple spare AWD transmission that have been relegated to such duty.

146  8

1987 Toyota Pickup/Hilux
    awd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 646  7

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 849  1

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 2K  10

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  7. twicks69

twicks69 Supporting Vendor

Joined Mar 12, 2004
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Likely killed a front diff pinion gear. And of course a bell housing.

Take it apart and see what you all destroyed.

Drag Race Build 6K  12  76

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    9.499 @ 155.00 · 2G DSM