The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

High knock counts caused by no EGR??? TUNERS NEEDED!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TSIfreek

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 14, 2003
cary, Illinois
Hey guys. I just got some logs on my new motor and have weird knock counts. I have knock up to 43 and then goes to 0 counts its not a spike but more like a decining mountain. My boost gauge is not reading corectly so I just hooked it the vacume directly to the WG so I should be seeing 7-10 psi. I got a lot of counts turning on to my street at low RPM for no reason. I have a new knock sensor as well. I have tryed turning down the timing to around 4* and still get it. I am running a 255 HP pump with a stock reguator, stock 1g unhacked mass and stock injectors. I have blocked off the EGR and I have just read that removing the EGR causes knock at low rpm light load conditions. Anyone heard of this? I am not ruleing out phantom knock from outside the engine and may be the problem. Anything else I should look into. Thanks for all you help. Any advice would be very helpfull.

What do your lifters sound like?

I have 3G lifters that one or two will not pump up and hold pressure. Its on the intake side and thats were the knock sensor is. The lifter doesnt knock all the time just here and there. I am going to try new lifters on the intake side and have the oil holes in the head and on the lifter matching so they will pump up the fastest and minimise the bleed down. F N weird thing is that its on on the intake side. I may just replace all them and will have them covered under warranty since they have only been in the engine 400 miles.

I have also heard about the EGR/part throttle knock thing. I can't confirm or deny at this point, but will be able to soon.

One thing I will say(a bit off topic) is that you need to do something with all that fuel.

Either do some work on that maf, get an SAFC, get an adjustable pressure reg(to turn it down) or all of these.

You WILL run rich, and it WILL carbon up your combustion chambers. You think you got knock problems now? Wait till you have more hot spots in your chambers than clean spots. It sucks. Hard.

Just givin some freindly advice, that I have personal experience with.

So, did somebody found out about this?
I am having crazy knock at low power setting. Is it true that is the EGR?
TIA

yep, at least on my car, part throttle knock went away with a working EGR valve.

The exhaust being reburned will effectively raise the ignition point of the fuel/air charge as it is intert so to speak.

the downside is you will have to clean your throttle body and intake manifold more often as gunk will build up in there.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back