The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Resolved High Beam issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cherry

Proven Member
Jun 16, 2019
Hull, Georgia
Hello everyone. Since I have been waiting on a "new" lower thermostat housing since mine broke, I decided to wire my headlights back how they should be.

When I was trying to figure out what wires were what at the headlight connector since I had an issue that I could of fixed with a single bolt I didnt know there was supposed to be a bolt at this location or if it was missing so the electrical connection to the passenger under hood fuse and relay box wasnt getting a connection so I had made an entire wiring harness just for the lights on toggle switches.

The issue comes in though that the high beam wire had voltage going to it without the high beam switch being activated. I dont know how much voltage exactly, its not enough to turn the bulb on but it is enough to turn on the high beam indicator light on the gauge cluster.

I cant a good enough wiring diagram and the Haynes book that I have doesnt really go into detail and I would just like suggestions on where to start looking. I might try a few things after work tomorrow, but all that I did was reconnect the wires that I had cut. There has to be a power jump somewhere, just dont know where it could be. Its not in the headlight since it was happening when the connector wasnt connected to the headlight itself.

Any tips or thoughts is appreciated.

One side of the high beams (and dash high beam indicator) always has +12V. The high beam switch puts a ground on the other side of the high beams (and dash high beam indicator) to turn them on. Since you say the dash high beam indicator works (I assume when high beam switch is activated), you have a broken connection between the high beams and the junction block connection point that connects them all (connects the dash high beam indicator to the high beam switch to the high beams).

Yes, the dash high beam is on both with the high beam switch activated and when you just turn the headlights on.

When I turn the high beams on the headlights get dimmer and if I remember correctly the high beam indicator light also gets dimmer.

I'm running off of maybe 2 hours of sleep so my thought processes are shot right now. I'll get some voltage measurements when I get home and check a few other things. I'm assuming that there is a relay on that circuit as well.

I think I figured it out thanks to a better wiring diagram than what Haynes gives. Their colors aren't even right. Thanks for the help. It's just crossed wires most likely.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back