The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Help with batteries

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

titengo

15+ Year Contributor
May 24, 2006
Maunabo, Puerto_Rico
I have a 2.4 farad cap, a 600w 4ch, and a 800w 1ch class d amp, I'm planning to put in my 93 tsi. The question is which battery I need? I was looking for the odyssey batteries but I don't know, there is the pc680 and the pc680mjt. Please someone help me with this.

Really you dont need a battery.Since your already running a cap and only a 800w amp.
It will help a little but your battery/alternator will support this just fine.
But if you want a battery i would get a optima.

Are you talking about replacing your main battery or adding a second battery? I replaced mine with the Odyssey PC-680MJ. It did not hold up well at all and I ended up returning it after 11 months under warranty. I used the prorated amount towards an Optima Red top. This may have been an isolated case but from my experience I would not recommend the Odyssey for a DD with a powerful audio system.

Well I'm replacing my cheap battery and planning on putting just one for everything. What you guys think red top? yellow top?

Yeah, since you live in a warm region and CCA's aren't much of a concern the yellow top may serve you better. But either one should work good.

I ask because i've heard a lot that caps ruin the alternators, is this true?

The only case that would be true in would be if the capacitor kept draining itself very quickly and making the alternator constantly charge the battery under high load. So that would mean that the type of music you listen to would determine if that statement was true or not.

Example, say your car stock has an 80A alternator, and just normal system functions with lights and fogs on, constantly use lets say 70A. That leaves 10A left for your system, and you'd be over-running the charging capacity of the alternator, making it heat up to try to keep up with the draw. Knocks itself out.

Heat kills alternators, thats why you read about people with improperly vented wastegates killing alternators left and right, and forward facing exhaust systems, like our cars, with the turbo smashed right next to the alternator creates a big problem too.

First question I'd like to ask you, is, at idle at night time when you're sitting at a light and your system is lightly thumping, do your dash lights and headlights dim? If so, its the alternator not being able to meet the draw at idle, which in our 80A case, maybe it is pushing 50A at 800rpm, and the system is drawing power from the battery.

I've designed many a system in my time :)cool:) and we definitely always picked up a Optima Yellow Top with your specs, and even many times opting for a slightly upgraded alternator. Stock 2g alternators are rated for 75A. Another reason I say pick Yellowtop, is so you can thump with the car off, for more than an hour, and still expect to start your car.

If you have access to an ammeter, and are capable of hooking it up correctly, and running it to the inside of your car, I'd be curious to see how many amps your whole setup consumes during the day, and night when you have all your lights on. It may warrant a alternator upgrade.

2gs aren't as fortunate as us 1gs, for the fact that we can put a GVR4 90A alternator right in our cars, over our stock 65A.

Good luck, keep us updated.

Right now i'm waiting for the motor swap to be finished to put it all together. Right know I only have the 800w and the 12" sub, and it does dims the lights. As for the lightly thump there's no such thing in my car. Have you ever listened to reggaeton? Another thing the motor swap is a j-spec n/t i got for cheap $$. How do you know if it has a 90A amp.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back