The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Help! No Spark!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExtremeDSM91

Probationary Member
Apr 22, 2006
Layton, Utah
Heres the run down: 91 gsx Bought the car as a rolling chasiss in 03, has ran 2 times with issues.

Rebuilt from ground up, rebuilt motor/head, lots of new parts. the car ran fine about 6 months ago, the timing belt jump a tooth and broke valves and damaged piston, I rebuilt the head again and installed a new piston, reinstalled it using only oem timing stuff all new parts. timed correctly by my mechanic dsm friend, everything worked before.

I have checked and rechecked every connection, I am getting fuel but no spark... Power transistor is good, bought a new one anyways no change. the coil pack is a little out of tolerance, but not a lot, I have two and the original one DID work. I have two different CAS' and they were both tried w/ the motor at TDC and the cas timed, all coolant sensors were changed to new ones (just in case) after the rebuild. the ECU should be good, the light comes on for 5 seconds and goes out and the boost gauge goes to 0.

It cranks and sounds like it wants to, maybe a few kind of popping noises (2-3) i am not sure that is spark or not. it smells of fuel, and the spark plugs are black. but when I try to spark check them to a screw driver I get nothing. I have not done a compression check (I dont have one) nor have a logger so I dont know if the coolant temp sensors are working or sending the right data to the ecu.

any help would be greatly appreciated, I have been struggling with this problem for months, if it was easy I would have found it. I dont want to spend huge $$$$ just swapping parts in the hopes it might work, anyone know any other checks I can do? I have read all the posts similar to this and still no help. thanks.

NEW UPDATE:

Retimed it and threw on a new coil pack, still no start. but i have spark, and fuel. Would a bad alternator cause a no start?

any help would be appreciated....

I tried to do the fuel pump check and it made my starter click, but i heard no fuel pump, I have a 255hp in it, and it did run before the timing belt slipped. I also have no resistance on the injector harness for cylinder 4 and they are all over 6ohms on the three others. could it be a fuel prob?

The car is about to go to a shop, and I am going to have to pay out the a$$

Ok all sounds good, but what about your compression test? If you do not have a tester your local autozone may have the gauge for a rental fee.

I am having the same problem does anybody know if this problem was solve I am getting spark and fuel but will not start I have been meaning to do a compression test but I just dont think that is what the problem is... because it started 2 hours before this happened. It might have shut off on its own I only had it running for about 5 mins.

ok if everything is checked isc could do it but my thoughts would be the ecu and yes the alternater could do it or even a misfire or breaking up but my car would start but wouldnt runn good it turn out to be the alt. then my ecu went alittle after that so check it see what you find

The ecu works fine I installed it into my 92 gsx and worked great. Now the altenater should not make a difference from making it starting or not... but you never know... Now I think the altenator is in good condition and like I said the engine is making a spark and is getting fuel but not combusting... The only thing that I can think of would be the timing however again the timing should be fine because the car has not even been on the road yet. I will say one thing when I stopped my engine the last time the car started it sounded like there was cracking noises coming from the enigine. Is it possible that the head cracked?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back