The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Help me pick my turbo!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazy91GSX

15+ Year Contributor
May 31, 2004
Lubbock, Texas
Hey guys.. i want to give you the lo down on this particular setup. I am about 98% certian that I will have a nicely modded 92 tsi awd tomorrow. My only plans other that what is already done is a bigger turbo, cams and injectors for more power.

the tsi already has:
30 over block, 8.3:1, no balance shafts
ported head w/ 3angle valve job and 1mm os valves
buschur racing extrude honed stock intake mani
ported evoIII turbo, mani, o2 housing
255 lph, adj. regulator, 660cc injectors
3" gm maf w/ maf-t
dsmotorsports street fmic
2.5" piping
tial bov
full 3" atr exhaust
aem uego wideband
rebuilt tranny/t-case w/ gvr4 first gear
prothane mounts
shifter bushings
adj. struts all around
light weight enkei rims

I am looking for AT LEAST 400whp on pump at about 22psi, and over 500 on race gas, at about 27psi (will use nitrous if i have to).

I will upgrading to a tial 38mm wg, at least 720cc injectors, fp2 cams and possible dsmlink.. we'l lsee how the maf-t and wideband do...

I am choosing between:
ported td06 20g w/ a 50 shot
ported sbr 50 or 57 trim
fp green
agp rs49

I would like to keep it as "bolt on" as possible.. i know that the sbr turbos need their $250 ss o2 housing.. but im not sure about the fp green.

Im looking for decent street manners, with spool that isnt ungodly (would like it under 4k rpm) but some power up top!

I am leaning towards the sbr 57trim but havent seen much info on it.. the fp green and 20g, however, have alot of info...

anyone have any good advice?

Green or the RS49. The AGP "50 trim" (RS49) might be reaching it's potential around your goals. If this is the case, go with the Green for sure. The "57 trim" is kind of a weird turbo. If you look at compresor maps, it is different than most, if not all, other somewhat comparible turbos.

Green has great spool up and even better top-end. Forced Performance is also a great manufacturer, with very high quality work. Have you looked at the Red any? It's the "newer generation" Green :cool: . The 20G is a turbo that is looked-over a lot. It's a good turbo that produces good power, just not the kind of numbers you are looking for.

Anyways, good luck with whatever you get. Make sure you get DSMLink soon! People say it's the best money they've ever spent and it's worth every penny! Plus, it's not too good to make changes to the fuel system without being able to monitor everything the ECU sees... :thumb:

brute said:
Green or the RS49. The AGP "50 trim" (RS49) might be reaching it's potential around your goals. If this is the case, go with the Green for sure. The "57 trim" is kind of a weird turbo. If you look at compresor maps, it is different than most, if not all, other somewhat comparible turbos.

Green has great spool up and even better top-end. Forced Performance is also a great manufacturer, with very high quality work. Have you looked at the Red any? It's the "newer generation" Green :cool: . The 20G is a turbo that is looked-over a lot. It's a good turbo that produces good power, just not the kind of numbers you are looking for.

Anyways, good luck with whatever you get. Make sure you get DSMLink soon! People say it's the best money they've ever spent and it's worth every penny! Plus, it's not too good to make changes to the fuel system without being able to monitor everything the ECU sees... :thumb:

thank you for the detailed reply.. The reason I was leaning towars the sbr turbos is mainly because of price. the .50 trim w/ a internal gate installed and full port job is less than $1000.. thegreen itself is $1300.. and will i need an external wastegate to accomidate? I am doing this somewhat budget minded.. FIST racing here in lubbock sells the agp rs49's for around $800, not too bad.. i might give it a second look.

Mainly I want to insure myself 500whp on race gas.. that is my goal..

Did you look into PTE BB 50 trim. Whats the spool time of the green?

I had forgotten about PTE .. but I do not know much about them.. how"bolt on" are they?

Now that I think about it, I remember you telling me to get a PTE 50 trim way long ago, Andy.

Back when you were still in lubbock, and I was working at Auto zone. Just picked up the 91 gsx off of McKeith.

interesting how we are both in Houston now.

Crazy91GSX said:
I had forgotten about PTE .. but I do not know much about them.. how"bolt on" are they?

Now that I think about it, I remember you telling me to get a PTE 50 trim way long ago, Andy.

Back when you were still in lubbock, and I was working at Auto zone. Just picked up the 91 gsx off of McKeith.

interesting how we are both in Houston now.

Actually i'm in Arlington. The PTE SCM50 is a very good street turbo. Great for pump gas, and bolt on (I think you might need a new oil feed/drain). It's not too big to where you wouldn't be able to get away with an internal gate, but i'd go external just for high boost control.

I think all of you overlook the potential of a td06 20g. If you look at SBR's dyno records, you can see that the 20g is capable of making the power that you are looking for.

blcknspo0ln said:
I think all of you overlook the potential of a td06 20g. If you look at SBR's dyno records, you can see that the 20g is capable of making the power that you are looking for.

yet still costs more than a green. Mitsu turbos are freakin expensive man. Why would you want to get one, when you can buy a turbo that will produce more power, and still have essentially the same bolt-on-ability that costs less?

It's not on the list but I would go with the fp3065, at the smallest fp3052 and the green.
It takes a good sized turbo to make 400 wheel hp on punp (93). If you go too small you will be upgrading before you know it. I have the 3052 and in my opinion it's a bit too small for my pump gas goals 500 AWHP. I also find it spools too quick in traffic I go from 2k-3.8k just fine. Then I hit 4k, the dump tube roars, car shoots like a rocket. This is all with just 1/4 throttle. It's a little too touchy for me. If you plan on using a meth/water injection, you will be fine with the green. If not I definitely recommend the 3065.

TO be the devil's advocate, if you're planning on spending $2000 on a turbo setup ( you will if you buy any FP series GT turbo) why not buy a full garrett setup for the same price? Cheaper turbos, and cheaper rebuilds if something goes wrong. Not to mention, you cannot rebuild ball-bearing turbos.

But the fit and ease of installation of the fp3052 have me sold on them. Also, no need to remove fans (on a 2g). The prices of exhaust manifolds go from $300-$1400. Full Garrett kits take more time, money and patience to make fit, in my opinion. I've also seen a Talon at F1Dyno make 650hp (no nitrous) with the FP3575. This was with the stock exhaust manifold. Forced Performance bolt-on turbos are like nothing else out there. With these amazing bolt-on exhaust housings, is there really a need to spend the extra time and money to custom fit a Garrett turbo on our cars?

Well the 3575 is the only one of FP's "FP" turbos that i'd consider putting on my car, since it's not BB. But I dont want to have to go through and have to buy a new d-pipe to use it. I use a d-pipe that has a 3" 3-bolt pattern flange, and i'm scared to think of the cost for fabricating my new O2 housing.

No one has brought this up but all of those turbos would be at they're max to reach the numbers that this guy is talkin about. That's fine as people like Dre have proved it's possible to make big power in the 500hp range with a 50 trim even thought it was a mutant 50 trim but the thing is no one has asked this guy what he's tuning with. All I see is a GM MAFT setup and a wideband and nothing else tung wise. For the number your talkin you will need some kinda of timing controll even if it's a chip with a timing cap to prevent knock and alow you to run more boost. Just food for though.

Good point! If you want big hp on pump (with out injecting something) you need a way to keep the timing low.

50 trim, 20g. the greens are also good but for the money you could get something better for that price......GT30R or like.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back